Just curious... since the 9800 was my first BB, what is the process when you get a new phone to transfer all data/apps/etc to the new one e.g. 9800 to the 9810?

Thanks!
    08-17-11 12:26 PM
    Load up Desktop Software on your PC and under the Device menu click on "Switch devices." Easy as pie.

Later edit to clarify: Deselect Third Party Applications in DTS, then reinstall your apps in App World > My World (or from elsewhere, if you got them elsewhere). You will run into the unavailable app problem described by Caspan below if you have Third Party Applications checked when running the device switch wizard.
    Last edited by JasW; 08-18-11 at 10:55 AM.
    barskin and jafobabe like this.
    08-17-11 12:49 PM
    Download blackberry protect from app world,u will be able to transfer your data through there or you can back up on your computer and from there back up the new one.
    08-17-11 12:58 PM
    Just don't bring your apps over from the old device.
    Last edited by JasW; 08-18-11 at 10:50 AM.
    08-17-11 01:50 PM
    From what I have been reading so far from some reviews is that its best to do BB Protect first then see what apps from OS 6 to OS 7 actually work at the moment. A lot that I personally use are already preloaded on the OS 7 so I probably do not need to reinstall much whenever I get my phone
    08-17-11 02:01 PM
    All I did was use BlackBerry Desktop Manager and did a device switch from my 9800 to my 9810 as stated above "easy as pie" only thing that is funny is that only 2 applications out of 60 transferred because they were not BlackBerry 7 compatible.
    I'm not getting that last part there -- do you mean only 2 apps out of 60 transferred and the remaining 58 did not because they were not OS 7 compatible? Or were only 2 apps not OS 7 compatible?
    08-17-11 02:39 PM
    Yikes. I'm not asking you to list all 58, but can you name a few that are relatively popular and which showed up as unavailable?
    muse480 likes this.
    08-17-11 02:46 PM
    Wow. 15 apps take up that much space??? I only have 35 apps in App World (and a few odd non-App World apps like Google Maps and Garmin) -- but if all of them were available, I wouldn't even have memory to load them all. You couldn't even load half of your apps. That can't be right. If it is, this is a serious problem with the OS.

I don't see any of your unavailable apps in the pic -- what are the more typical ones we are talking about?

Edit: I just found out the reason you have so many unavailable apps -- when you did a device switch, it apparently brought over some App World BBID .cod files from your OS 6 device. The quick fix, according to a post in the working/non-working apps thread in the 9900 forum, is to use BBSAK to put the OS 7 versions of these files back. Unfortunately, the poster did not specifically identify the files, so there is a hanging query (including my own) over there for someone to identify the files.
    Last edited by JasW; 08-17-11 at 03:55 PM.
    08-17-11 03:40 PM
    Have a look also wholly crap I am already using 100 MB with 15 installed applications... not happy, I had 70 installed before and only took up 40MB
    Are your apps high MB users? That or as JasW said maybe it was a transfer issue
    08-17-11 04:37 PM
    Here is RIM's workaround if you brought the apps over from your old device during a DTS device switch and you have the App World unavailable apps problem:

KB28038-BlackBerry App World hangs after clicking My World or BIS Email Setup will not connect after switching to a BlackBerry 7 smartphone

Note there are two possible workarounds mentioned by RIM. Also, and it might have been operator error, but one person in the 9900 forum said neither workaround worked for him. In that case, the only solution is to reload a newer, leaked OS -- making sure that third party apps are not backed up and restored, of course.

You can avoid the problem by unchecking Third Party Applications when you do a device switch and selecting only Device Data (or restoring a backup from your old device on your new device), then going into App World, where the apps should simply show up as being uninstalled (and available to be reinstalled), rather than unavailable.

There's a noob who's only been on CB for a week over in the 9900 forum posting feverishly about how you should only bring over a handful of data from your old device. However, he's basing that on the ostensible fact that he personally had problems when he moved from his OS5 device to OS 6 on his 9800 -- not on any problems he knows about moving to an OS7 phone.
    Last edited by JasW; 08-18-11 at 10:59 AM.
    08-18-11 07:33 AM
    I'd use Protect for contacts and get anything on a memory card you can and transfer that way. My phone was FUBAR'd using DM.... (9800 to 9810)
    08-18-11 05:30 PM
    I'd use Protect for contacts and get anything on a memory card you can and transfer that way. My phone was FUBAR'd using DM.... (9800 to 9810)
    Did you just select Device Data when you used DTS/DM, or did you also select Third Party Apps? The latter has apparently caused a lot of problems.

BES users can't use Protect anyway, so I have to use DTS.
    08-18-11 06:04 PM
    So, let's see. I have a backup on BB protect and BB desktop software, so I can get my data ether way, my media is on my sd card, and I can get my apps from app world? Can I reinstall my 9800 apps on my 9810?

Can't wait 'tll Sunday. (Suddenly using low, booming voice) Sunday, SUNDAY!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-11 07:57 PM
    you can also go to rroyy's site and download for the different OS's for some things, like the bridge work around for AT&T users. I will be doing this upgrade stuff the end of this week when my 9810 gets here.
    11-13-11 12:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD