RIM: Silence of the Lambs

im-possible: RIM: Silence of the Lambs

(Via Twittert @FairyMary)
    Last edited by Marcel38; 08-19-11 at 12:44 PM.
    08-17-11 12:26 PM
    Great way to attract developers to your platform if this is how you treat established ones. This is not what RIM needs for the TabletOS platform at this time!
    08-17-11 12:34 PM
    I sent an email to the email addy indicated in her posting.

This is not an organized movement toward RIM. Just me sending an email.

Tim
    HaTaX likes this.
    08-17-11 12:43 PM
    C'mon RIM. This makes NO sense.
    08-17-11 01:27 PM
    Wow. IM+ is one of the most popular IM applications. RIM needs to get this sorted out ASAP. This does not look good for them.
    08-17-11 03:42 PM
    My biggest fear before buying the Playbook was that RIM would either: (i) screw it up; (ii) fail to support it; (iii) promise more than they can deliver, (iv) get in the way of developers who wish to support the device; or (v) all of the above.

Foolishly, I bought the Playbook thinking that things would finally be different with RIM; that they had learned of the need to compete in the modern age; and that they had learned of the necessity of actually meeting customer expectations - expectations RIM helped create through their own hype of the Playbook.

Clearly, RIM hasn't changed - their arrogance and incompetence will be the death of the Playbook.
    Enri69 and jkeithbrown like this.
    08-17-11 04:16 PM
    this is shocking. rim are like the spoilt kid with all the toys... and they're not sharing
    08-17-11 05:15 PM
    It sounds like it's stuck at the legal dept (or whoever looks at privacy issues at RIM)? Regardless of the reason, RIM should be giving Shape some feedback, especially since Lessard's been in touch with them.
    08-17-11 05:22 PM
    RIM understands what SHAPE does not: Playbook owners are far more concerned with having scores of body mass indicator calculators than it is about having something as useless as IM+.
    08-17-11 05:40 PM
    Good read. I hope they continue to publish everything on what's happening. RIM needs to get their act together. CrackBerry needs to run another story on this. Run one once a month until RIM smartens up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    algutier likes this.
    08-17-11 06:02 PM
    This really makes me "shake my head"... I just do not understand? I do not get why RIM is dragging this out? Does some one understand something I don't? This is truly horrible...
    08-17-11 06:53 PM
    Ditto, I'd also like to hear more about this.
    I DO know that RIM's application approval process is completely moronic - it takes weeks, and once I forgot to upload one of the cods for a theme and they still approved it - so obviously, they don't even load them on a phone or simulator make sure they work, or at least not all of them.
    08-17-11 07:25 PM
    This really makes me "shake my head"... I just do not understand? I do not get why RIM is dragging this out? Does some one understand something I don't? This is truly horrible...
    The only "explanation" that I can make for the hold up is that RIM is admant that it does not want to allow applications that mimic, duplicate, or any other way tap into "core systems" of what the Playbook does.

For example, another developer posted an email response from RIM denying their app as it duplicated the function of the existing web browser (see developer problem thread on here for a copy of RIM's email).

I am guessing that RIM has plans, or is currently working on, some sort of messaging application and as such, they don't want to allow anything that would duplicate this function.

Please note, I have absolutely no proof of this - it is just my idea but at this point, I can't see any other justification for postponing and delaying this app as RIM is actively doing.
    08-17-11 07:28 PM
    I was about to quote and say what IM app but I see you answered yourself.

Considering they've already approved it across all their phones their decision process is bordering on ridiculous.

Also consider there is already an app in the appworld that apparently connects to MSN, albeit apparently very badly.

RIM can be really, really, pig headed sometimes.

Anyway +1 on CrackBerry doing the "right" thing and calling RIM out on this. I know this is a pro-RIM site, but sometimes calling your friends up on their faults is still the right thing to do rather than letting them slide on it continuously.

I know Kevin owns a PB and I'm sure other staffers do to, so they must be feeling our pain as well.
    08-17-11 07:58 PM
    This should be a front page story here at crackberry. Seriously, how will the RIMpire strike back when it is they themselves that strike themselves down? We seriously need to bug RIM about this.
    the.abyzz and jonathon.94 like this.
    08-17-11 09:21 PM
    Maybe what Crackberry can do is sell some of these apps themselves for SIDELOADING. That way the incentive to develop the apps remains for the developers - they can sell for some small return. Users can purchase with the full understanding that these are UNapproved apps and there can be no guarantees. Hatax has an app that I'm interested in. Obviously there's lots of interest in this one. I'm sure that other apps are out there or might be if there were a market.
    SirDodds likes this.
    08-17-11 09:45 PM
    ugh. I don't care much for the app myself, but that's beside the point. RIM can only stay silent for so long. It's embarrassing that they can't even provide SHAPE a forthcoming and informative response. The token "blah" responses or the lack thereof entirely insinuate much bigger problems than the app approval process itself.

Business is business - at minimum, RIM owes them a concise explanation on the delays. The silence is downright immature and unprofessional. Easily the quickest way to alienate a developer, and that is the very last thing RIM needs to have reverberated within the app development realm.

Talk about self-destruction....<sigh>
    08-17-11 10:15 PM
    I don't know what these guys are expecting.

It's not like BBM can't be made cross platform, and they are here to offer a technical solution that RIM couldn't figure out. BBM is closed for business reasons. Third party opportunities are areas that are either not central or too niche for the platform maker. This one is RIM's bread and butter.

That Apple approved their app is not pertinent. Would they try launching a music download service on the iPhone? Probably not.
    08-17-11 10:31 PM
    It's freakin IM. Yahoo, MSN, etc. one of the most basic things one could want on a tablet. BBM or not, this is completely and utterly ridiculous.
    08-17-11 11:33 PM
    I dont like the pattern here either, and as I've noted in prior posts, I'm a huge proponent of the PB. Hard to sell them when RIM is actively making it hard to do basic things. If RIM is unable or unwilling to release core apps, at least let those who are able and willing do so.
    08-18-11 12:13 AM
    I emailed Tyler at RIM as per the address provided on the write-up. You can all imagine what it said, so no need to go into it. Just my 2 cents of bugging!
    08-18-11 12:43 AM
    Thinking about it on the other side of the isle - the business perspective - I actually see their actions making sense.

Look, if you will, at the available IM applications in PB App World - you will see two kinds of apps; IRC and Facebook.

Funny, considering that any sort of "real" IM service would probably get a download from every single PB owner, even if it wasn't the best - make it free, put in ads, and have it work, and it'll get downloaded; doesn't even have to work well and be pretty, as other popular downloads have shown.

So, why would RIM do this - cause they don't have their own app out yet.

I mean, come on - if you let a great app through first, with the functionality that you planned for, everyone is just going to use that app and ignore yours. Alright, maybe not everyone, but more people will than those who just get invested in yours FIRST.

Their app probably won't support IRC, and their Facebook app already has chat functionality, so their currently available IM apps make sense.

As much as it is a **** move, it makes sense from a business standpoint. I'd honestly expect them to release something soon, then their IM+ will follow - based on their attempts at stalling, maybe really soon? Next week is in line with their updates, and they asked for 5-10 days 2 weeks ago - whats 1 more week of stalling?

At least, that is what makes business sense to me - kinda heartless though.
    08-18-11 12:51 AM
    I wish I could embed the Cornette face meme here , because it would be so fitting.
    SirDodds likes this.
    08-18-11 12:56 AM
    I'm baffled that RIM treats a long-time partner like this. It's absolutely astonishing. EPIC Developer Relations fail.
    08-18-11 02:02 AM
    Is anyone else starting to worry that the fate of the Playbook and RIM itself is not as stable as we had all hoped??

I mean seriously... Lotsa people on here say they love their PB but I think majority are quite disappointed with the extremely slow rollouts of apps (not even 3rd party ones, the native ones that should've come with the device!) and lack of response.. FKAH:LGIHAEOPFUIhaFPOiOFHPOhu
    08-18-11 03:31 AM
101 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD