I have been waiting for the "Storm 3" since the Storm 2 was released. I have looked the other way while iPhones and Androids phones passed me by, just waiting for this phone.
    After reading the reviews, I am now going to broaden my horizons and actually look at the iPhones and Androids.

** Of course I will make a jusgement once I test and play with the device, but first glance has me dissapointed **

Why?
    • Plastic screen - This will scratch. My old Curve looks like ****.
    • Cheap feel of device - The Storm 2 feels sturdy. If this goes backwords in that aspect, I'm gone.
    • Typing - Typing is fine on the Storm 2. If this device is worse because of the screen or whatever reason, I'm gone. Kevin's review may have been physical keys-biased but it could also mean his iPhone screen is better than the new Torch screen.

These are not earth shattering reasons, but I am looking for quality here. If I wanted cheap, I would wait for the Curve series. The Bold seems great, but I hate physical keyboards. I dreaded using my Curve because of this. My fingers are too big.

Anyhow, hopefully once I play with the phone I will sing a different tune.

Thanks for your time.
    08-16-11 11:22 AM
    And I thought Storm2 was crap....LOL

edit: the buttons not being a part of the screen like Storm2 is a huge fail
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 08-16-11 at 12:32 PM.
    08-16-11 11:23 AM
    Curve Touch might be an option...I am disappointed as well
    08-16-11 11:27 AM
    I'll reserve judgement until I actually handle a phone myself.
    01itr and tigerfan5 like this.
    08-16-11 11:40 AM
    Yeah, we all wanted a top-of-the-line touchscreen Blackberry but got told "If you wanted the best Blackberry, you have to learn to love a smaller screen and a physical keyboard."

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-11 11:41 AM
    I have been waiting for the "Storm 3" since the Storm 2 was released. I have looked the other way while iPhones and Androids phones passed me by, just waiting for this phone.
    After reading the reviews, I am now going to broaden my horizons and actually look at the iPhones and Androids.

** Of course I will make a jusgement once I test and play with the device, but first glance has me dissapointed **

Why?
    • Plastic screen - This will scratch. My old Curve looks like ****.
    • Cheap feel of device - The Storm 2 feels sturdy. If this goes backwords in that aspect, I'm gone.
    • Typing - Typing is fine on the Storm 2. If this device is worse because of the screen or whatever reason, I'm gone. Kevin's review may have been physical keys-biased but it could also mean his iPhone screen is better than the new Torch screen.

These are not earth shattering reasons, but I am looking for quality here. If I wanted cheap, I would wait for the Curve series. The Bold seems great, but I hate physical keyboards. I dreaded using my Curve because of this. My fingers are too big.

Anyhow, hopefully once I play with the phone I will sing a different tune.

Thanks for your time.
    As far as plastic, my 1st S2 dropped and the glass screen went KAPOOF! so maybe hardened plastic will be better. I use a screen protector anyway, so the scratching issue should be a non-issue. How do you know it feels cheap if you haven't handled one? Kevin did not say it felt cheap, just a bit lighter.
    Last edited by dkingsf; 08-16-11 at 01:09 PM.
    08-16-11 11:46 AM
    Curve Touch might be an option...I am disappointed as well
    The 9850/9860 is considered a "Higher" line device than the Curve Touch will be. 1.2 ghz chip vs 800 mhz chip being a huge difference.

If this device is disappointing you, the curve will only do more of that....
    08-16-11 11:50 AM
    I agree with you guys, I have been wanting this phone ever since it was announced. I am a little disappointed, but I don't think that it will be anything that will make me convert to another os. I love my S2, and can't wait to have another full touch blackberry. I do wish that they had made the front buttons flush with the device, and I also wish that they would have kept the sound keys a bit bigger.

When my phone shorted out on me in february of this year, I upgraded to an Iphone and I only had it 4 days before I took it back and went back to my Storm. There are just so many things that I have gotten used to while using blackberry, that when I realized the Iphone didn't have these features, it became an inconvenience.

So, needless to say, even though I am not estatic about some of the new features of this phone, I still can't wait to get it in my hands, because I can't type on a physical keyboard- my fingers are too big. Hopefully when the second part of the review gets written (by the resident virtual keyboard user), we will get a more positive review.
    dkingsf and chiefbroski like this.
    08-16-11 11:56 AM
    Well I made the move over iphone4 becasue my storm died and there were no other BB's on the horizon. Actually hasn't been that bad, but i am curious after using this phone how the Torch Touch will compare.
    08-16-11 11:57 AM
    The 9850/9860 is considered a "Higher" line device than the Curve Touch will be. 1.2 ghz chip vs 800 mhz chip being a huge difference.

If this device is disappointing you, the curve will only do more of that....
    Quite possibly. I just don't care for the raised buttons and the plastic screen. Seems like they cut corners just for this final run on OS7 and called it high end. If I didn't dislike the BB keyboard, I'd probably go with the new Bold.
    chiefbroski likes this.
    08-16-11 12:15 PM
    Quite possibly. I just don't care for the raised buttons and the plastic screen. Seems like they cut corners just for this final run on OS7 and called it high end. If I didn't dislike the BB keyboard, I'd probably go with the new Bold.
    I dont know. Rocking the Thunderbolt now and the capacitive buttons kinda suck.
    They ade pretty and all but you pretty muxh have to look at the device to use them. Its like typing. I miss being abke to feel my way across the buttons. So i see whefe they could be good. I agree that they are ugly.

08-16-11 12:39 PM
    I'm kind of divided here too... I definately want a OS7 BB and don't care for a physical keyboard, screen realstate is much more important to me... I was hoping for the 9860 to be awesome but that review kind of dissapointed me on those same points you mention. Seems like I'll switch my current Torch with a Torch 2 even though I rarely open that keyboard...
    08-16-11 01:54 PM
    I think as far as the aesthetics of it, it's not the best looking device but it looks quite nice enough for me in the premium case that was seen at BB Fan Night.

For me, it will all come down to the feel and responsiveness of the touchscreen. I'm a little hesitant about it being plastic, but after being assured in some posts today that it has gone through rigorous scratch testing, I think it will be okay.

If not, I do love the 9930 and will certainly be able to live without the screen real estate/autofocus cam just fine.
    08-16-11 02:14 PM
    If not, I do love the 9930 and will certainly be able to live without the screen real estate/autofocus cam just fine.
    oh, I thought all new devices had the same camera and they remove auto-focus to be able to add the HD video recording... mmm, this is good, and the video recording is still HD right? so why did they do that on the 9900?

Dude, I was kind of already decided, way to spoil my afternoon..
    08-16-11 02:24 PM
    Lol! I honestly don't even think the 9930's cam is all THAT bad, and it does take great pictures at a good distance and in good lighting conditions.

But yeah, if the slight edge that the 9850 has over the 9930 is enough to overlook the issues it has, then that's my device! I think I'll be really happy with either though.

Testing them out on Sunday at Sprint so that I'll know which to order when (and IF) the 9850 comes to Verizon.
    08-16-11 02:35 PM
    I think you all need to wait and handle the device yourself and not base your opinion solely on crackberry kevin's review.
    Regarding the buttons, I wil say that my storm2 buttons did not always function properly. Therefore, I'm fine with the raised buttons.
    The new curve touch looks like a storm3 to me.
    08-16-11 03:08 PM
    I've been waiting for this device as well. Use a Storm 2 today and really like the touch screen real estate. But the review was not that impressive. I want a quality look and feel as well as performance. Since I have a playbook, I'm starting to question my need for an all touch device. I'm going to go to the Playbook for all my multimedia needs anyway. Just not sure I can go back to the small screen on the 9930. Going to have to wait and play with them both. A cheap look and feel will turn me off instantly.
    08-16-11 03:36 PM
    To all: read some other reviews. Engadget did a nice review on the 9850 and so did zdnet. The reaction to typing is very different. Zdnet was very positive. You also have Josh Topolsky of thisismynext.com saying that he can type better on an all touch device than he can on the 9930. And wait until you can handle one yourselves. Do not rule it out because of what you read in the cb reviews.

08-16-11 04:34 PM
    Plastic screen - This will scratch. My old Curve looks like ****.
    This is a complete travesty. Why would a mobile device manufacturer at this day and age make a "premium" and "high end" device with a plastic display? There is absolutely no rhyme or reason for this. My previous Blackberrys all with plastic displays all got scratched up at one point or another. Plastic displays only cheapen a device. It's a fact that glass displays fair better than plastic any day.
    Last edited by JD914; 08-16-11 at 06:56 PM.
    08-16-11 06:50 PM
    forward to the 6:20 minute mark of this video and you'll see how painfully slow the Torch 9850 web browser is even on wifi.

08-16-11 06:55 PM
    To all: read some other reviews. Engadget did a nice review on the 9850 and so did zdnet. The reaction to typing is very different. Zdnet was very positive. \
    IMO the Engadget review was not that flattering. However it did say the device felt solid but the plastic screen, not the resolution, look less than what one would expect.

I gonna have to read it again.

Regardless, I don't think it would make me less likely to buy it.

Good Luck
    08-16-11 07:28 PM
    i've watched and read tons of reviews on this 9860.i must say the specs are great but the design is the big flaw personally for me.the contour design and once again the plastic make this device 7/10.im still going to play with one when it arrives on at&t but i feel the iphone 5 will be my pick over the 9860.rim should made a better design for the 9860.im going to like what apple has in store for their i5 design.
    08-16-11 08:40 PM
    It wouldn't be rim if they nailed everything. 9700, too little RAM for OS 6, same on S2. Now the 9900 has no auto focus, and the 9850 has a plastic screen. Its like tgey are setting themselves up for failure. Oh and a point of clarity that many are missing. The Storm 1 & 2 as well as the Tour and maybe the Bold 9650 all had dedicated gpu's. Thats how they supported Open GL. So these are not the first bb's tp have that as many are stating.

08-16-11 09:05 PM
    I think Plastic gets a bad rap. Modern hard plastics can perform just as well as glass, but aren't nearly as brittle. Look at the lenses that Oakley sunglasses use. They are a type of plastic that is highly scratch resistant, yet flexible and durable.

I think people just latch on to glass as a buzz word, without considering the real value of it.
    08-17-11 10:10 AM
    Seems like lately rim gets bad press because their rim. The wall street write up was fair and intersting and the guy said he had the phone for a few days, and that it got better as the days went on. When you have 425,000 apps only 5percent are worthy of having. So if that's RIM biggest downfall then they should go and approve 400000 useless crappy apps. or let developers make more money as an incentives to make more apps. Then there will be less critics equaling more new customers. Lose money to developers = make money. From. Customers while improving RIM image!

08-17-11 04:47 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD