Ok. So this might rub some of you the wrong way - but I don't care - I'm gonna post this anyway.

I seriously don't understand all this rubbish and complaining about the non-auto-focus camera on the 99xx.

Truth is it takes wickedly awesome photos. HUGE upgrade from the 3mp auto-focus on the 9700... Autofocus that I must remind all of you quite often wouldn't focus properly anyway (has it been so long we've all forgotten???)

Without reading that the camera was any different, or without taking any up close shots, my first reaction was that of sheer joy that the camera was:
    1. Extremely fast! Takes photos the instant you press the button
    2. Extremely clear photos, handling low light as well as bright light beautifully.

Ok, so then I read all this non-sense about it being a downgrade and the issue with up close photos... So I took some up close shots and sure, true enough - blurry. But seriously, for the average user (yes that's me) - the camera on the 99xx is a dream come true - no delay, nice clean photos... Not to mention the great video recording ability.

So quit your whining!!!!
    UrbanGlowCam and smijes like this.
    08-15-11 08:44 PM
    The great thing about forums is they are a place for open debate, and people like you don't get to tell other people what they can and can't debate.

I'll leave this here, but if you genuinely believe RIM introduced a better camera than they had before for things like close-ups then I'd like some of what you are smoking.
    bhavi_jp likes this.
    08-15-11 08:49 PM
    I like ppl with positive attitude lol

This guy gonna kill anyone say that 9900 cam is bad again ! Haha

Can u share with us some photo taken by ur 9900 ?
    08-15-11 08:52 PM
    The great thing about forums is they are a place for open debate, and people like you don't get to tell other people what they can and can't debate.

I'll leave this here, but if you genuinely believe RIM introduced a better camera than they had before for things like close-ups then I'd like some of what you are smoking.
    I didn't say RIM introduced a better camera - please re-read my post. What I did say is it was a welcoming upgrade from the camera the 9700 had on it - just my opinion. Although I do state a couple of real good pointers to back up my view.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-11 08:53 PM
    I seriously don't understand all this rubbish and complaining about the non-auto-focus camera on the 99xx.
    Just because you don't need your phone camera to take close up shots of text doesn't mean others don't. Stop living in your own world.

And BTW, the camera on my 9780 released in 2010 already has no delay in taking photos, and has extremely clear photos.
    bhavi_jp and pythons like this.
    08-15-11 08:53 PM
    Oh, and kevinnugent... I also didn't say that it was better for taking close-ups - learn to read.

But I will add this. Out of the 3000+ photos I took with my 9700, about 10 of them were close-ups... That's just me... Maybe some take 2900 close-ups and 10 normal shots (5ft away etc)... Just sayin.

08-15-11 08:55 PM
    The camera isn't bad. Takes some good shots for what I use it for to upload some pics to Facebook and so on. I was happy with some of the pics I took. Not close to the iPhone 4 camera I had but I am perfectly fine with it.
    08-15-11 08:56 PM
    Ok. So this might rub some of you the wrong way - but I don't care - I'm gonna post this anyway.

Truth is it takes wickedly awesome photos. HUGE upgrade from the 3mp auto-focus on the 9700... Autofocus that I must remind all of you quite often wouldn't focus properly anyway (has it been so long we've all forgotten???)

Without reading that the camera was any different, or without taking any up close shots, my first reaction was that of sheer joy that the camera was:
    1. Extremely fast! Takes photos the instant you press the button
    2. Extremely clear photos, handling low light as well as bright light beautifully.

Ok, so then I read all this non-sense about it being a downgrade and the issue with up close photos... So I took some up close shots and sure, true enough - blurry. But seriously, for the average user (yes that's me) - the camera on the 99xx is a dream come true - no delay, nice clean photos... Not to mention the great video recording ability.

So quit your whining!!!!
    Glad to hear it�s working for you
    08-15-11 08:58 PM
    Thanks for sharing this.................I am getting a warranty replacement done tomorrow, my 9700 swapped for a 9900. I always thought my 9700 camera sucked a little so the 9900 will feel like an upgrade to me

I don't judge my phone on how good the camera is, I use an ACTUAL camera for important pics. So long as emails, calls and internet work great, that's most important to me.
    08-15-11 08:59 PM
    The only part of your post that made sense was "That's just me...."

Very true. It *is* just you with your opinion. You're entitled to it. I'm entitled to disagree with it. Democracy. Your childish attacks ("learn to read!") don't affect anything.
    08-15-11 09:00 PM
    Just because you don't need your phone camera to take close up shots of text doesn't mean others don't. Stop living in your own world.

And BTW, the camera on my 9780 released in 2010 already has no delay in taking photos, and has extremely clear photos.
    Sorry, I just get fed up with all the complaining. Had RIM put an auto-focus and 1500 battery - we would all be complaining about its physical size....

08-15-11 09:08 PM

Very true. It *is* just you with your opinion. You're entitled to it. I'm entitled to disagree with it. Democracy. Your childish attacks ("learn to read!") don't affect anything.
    At least some of my post made sense to you

08-15-11 09:16 PM
    Sorry, I just get fed up with all the complaining. Had RIM put an auto-focus and 1500 battery - we would all be complaining about its physical size....

We would - but only if we complained about the 9000's size which I don't really know if it happened.

Anyway, great that the camera works for you. For some (like me), it is not "non sense" to say it's a downgrade since my 9780 already snaps clear beautiful photos instantly and has AF for the times I need to snap close up text. Understand that there are people who would both appreciate and need an AF camera on the phone, and would love it on a Bold form factor, but having found it lacking it's reasonable to "whine" no? You can't just tell these people to "get an iPhone" because they do love the Bold form factor.
    08-15-11 09:18 PM
    I do like the camera, like the video even more. It's always good to get a balanced approach to choosing expensive technology, isn't it?

LoL
    08-15-11 09:21 PM
    I didn't say RIM introduced a better camera - please re-read my post. What I did say is it was a welcoming upgrade from the camera the 9700 had on it - just my opinion. Although I do state a couple of real good pointers to back up my view.

Correction. Welcoming Downgrade not Upgrade.

Even the 3.2 MP Auto Focus camera of the 9700 and 9650 beats this any time of the day.
    pythons likes this.
    08-15-11 09:25 PM
    Does it have different settings like portrait mode so that you can get a clear close up?

08-15-11 09:27 PM
    Does it have different settings like portrait mode so that you can get a clear close up?
    There is a close up mode but from what I've heard, it doesn't do much to help. Maybe in certain situations.
    08-15-11 09:28 PM
    There are various shooting modes, one for close ups, one for night, another for shooting text, etc....

Haven't really explored what this camera can do yet.
    08-15-11 09:31 PM
    I have no issues with this camera since I don't use it to develop pics, mostly for social media and random pics. I do have a Sony Ericsson Arc that I keep in the closet and that phone camera is better than my point and shoot, it really is a nice camera and takes amazing pics, comparable to most point and shoots, so I can see why some people are complaining about the camera. Sony does already make amazing point and shoots. I didn't sell that phone after I tried it and didn't like it, for the fact that it took amazing pictures and I use this for my point and shoot camera. If BB put that lens on the 9900, it would be the ultimate phone(still very happy with my 9900 though).
    08-15-11 09:41 PM
    Correction. Welcoming Downgrade not Upgrade.

Even the 3.2 MP Auto Focus camera of the 9700 and 9650 beats this any time of the day.
    Nice opinion. I disagree

08-15-11 09:50 PM
    chill out there down under. do you have the phone yet? if not, then you really don't know how well it will work for you.

this phone is CLEARLY an overall upgrade to every blackberry.

if you don't believe that, you are wasting your time here on a phone already produced and released.

08-15-11 10:08 PM
    The non auto focus is a deal breaker for me and the wife. Just sayin
    pythons likes this.
    08-15-11 10:12 PM
    If anyone can show me a close up of text - taken with the 9900 - that's not blurry - I'll not say another word.

For people to say, oh you don't need that, is just apologist rubbish.

I have airbags in my expensive car I haven't used yet either, but I want them there and working if I ever do need them. Same with this.

Honestly, to me it's no deal breaker. But to some it is, and for people not to recognise that fact and just accept everything that RIM has spoon fed them is rubbish. This phone has flaws, and people should be able to talk about those flaws without being pilloried by apologists.

My last 2c. Promise.
    Sharke, pythons, EnnEnn and 1 others like this.
    08-15-11 10:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD