Nice,

Everyone has been saying how fast and everything the 9900 is. Well mine not so much. It gets a lot of hour glass loadings whenever I get new messages etc. Well I decided I would try to do a battery pull to see if that would fix it, and VIOLA! JVM ERROR 517. Obviously this 9900 of mine has a software issue. It is Bell branded. I'm going to try to reload the OS and see if it fixes it....... Anybody else get this problem?
    08-15-11 03:55 PM
    Try loading (if you aren't already) .296 as it seems to be the best.
    08-15-11 04:18 PM
    You could be lucky if the 517 is software related (corrupt file system), and an OS reload should fix this... however if the 517 is hardware related (corrupt physical flash memory), then your phone is FUBAR and you'll have to return it for exchange

KB19442-Hardware related JVM error codes

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-11 04:19 PM
    What happens when we return this phone due to malfunction and they give us a refurbished phone back? If I am not mistaken, that is Verizon's policy.
    08-15-11 04:21 PM
    What happens when we return this phone due to malfunction and they give us a refurbished phone back? If I am not mistaken, that is Verizon's policy.
    Not at this early stage in the release. You'll get a new one.

08-15-11 04:22 PM
    Only if it outside the 14 day window. Refurbs can be better than new too.
    ericlc2 likes this.
    08-15-11 04:23 PM
    they should not give you a refurb when it's that new
    08-15-11 04:23 PM
    They have no refurbs in stock right now. You'll get a new one.

08-15-11 05:52 PM
    There have been debates on this.....but even after the 14 day window, you may still get a new unit. Depends which warehouse possibly...even if it comes in a brown box.

08-15-11 06:02 PM
    That happened to me...

I rebooted, lost all services books and everything was weird

Been fine since I reloaded

08-15-11 06:16 PM
    That happened to me...

I rebooted, lost all services books and everything was weird

Been fine since I reloaded

Did you use DM to reload?

08-15-11 09:03 PM
    My at&t test unit did a similar thing over the weekend and I was able to reload using apploader and restored a backup and was back up in about an hour....

PG
    08-15-11 09:27 PM
    For whatever reason I cannot load any OS other than the Rogers 261 on my device after I wiped it. This is of course removing the vendor.xml file and shrinking it. My previous 9900 would load 296. I've uninstalled the DM and device software and wiped the device but it just won't allow me to load 296 or 317.

Can someone please help me.
    08-16-11 12:39 AM
    For whatever reason I cannot load any OS other than the Rogers 261 on my device after I wiped it. This is of course removing the vendor.xml file and shrinking it. My previous 9900 would load 296. I've uninstalled the DM and device software and wiped the device but it just won't allow me to load 296 or 317.

Can someone please help me.
    I would try the app loader and see if that works. Download the newest version from wherever you can get it from (either this site or a rapidshare or something of the sort). Once it downloads double click on it to install it to your computer and then try to run the app loader. I think you can only load software that isn't from your carrier in this way. The app loader is located in the same folder that the vendor.xml is.

Update to my phone.

I installed BBSAK to wipe my device, but it kept freezing and I gave up on that. I then installed JL_CMDR and a wipe didn't work on that either. It kept telling me that it did wipe, but it actually didn't. Then I did a factory restore with JL_CMDR and that finally worked and the phone loaded up again but wasn't really at factory settings since I still had a lot of files and all my third party apps were there. I resynced with google sync and then my phone cracked out again and I got different java errors (506 then 561 or something like that). That might have had to do with my google sync messing up and doubling 2 of my contacts about 3500 times each and that might have made my 9900 mad. I have it loaded again and lets hope I don't get any more java errors LOL!
    08-16-11 08:35 AM
    the apploader is working, and goes through the setup but when it comes time to be able to load the OS features e.g. languages, docs to go etc it says that I don't have the correct device software. I uninstalled the DM and device software and retried it only to get the same error message.
    08-16-11 10:20 AM
    Oh man...crazy bubbles! Hope all goes smooth when i get home and try mine out.
    08-16-11 10:24 AM
    If you are using the old google sync, you are asking for trouble.

The native BIS works much, much better (ps, if Contacts options you can uncheck allow duplicate contacts).

BBSAK will do a wipe, but it takes considerably longer with BB7 than BB6 (5+ minutes) just be patient
    08-16-11 10:32 AM
    I believe that on vista and win7 you have to turn user account control off and run as adim to use BBSAK.
    08-16-11 10:47 AM
    the apploader is working, and goes through the setup but when it comes time to be able to load the OS features e.g. languages, docs to go etc it says that I don't have the correct device software. I uninstalled the DM and device software and retried it only to get the same error message.
    i had that happen to me.. i tried it 10 times before i got it to work..

i just uninstalled the OS and reinstalled on my computer..

I JUST got the JVM 517 error again after a week loading the new wikitude app version 6.0.0..

called rogers.. they said to try and reload the software again and if that doesn't work and i get the error they will send me a new one
    08-16-11 01:05 PM
    i had that happen to me.. i tried it 10 times before i got it to work..

i just uninstalled the OS and reinstalled on my computer..

I JUST got the JVM 517 error again after a week loading the new wikitude app version 6.0.0..

called rogers.. they said to try and reload the software again and if that doesn't work and i get the error they will send me a new one
    do you mean you got this problem on the 9900 or another device? I just put 296 on my Rogers 9900 here at work but it wouldn't work last night on my home PC. I never had a 517 error though. I think something must be corrupted in my registry at home. You could try installing it on another computer to see if you get a 517 error.
    Last edited by mhw100; 08-16-11 at 01:37 PM.
    08-16-11 01:24 PM
    Nice,

Everyone has been saying how fast and everything the 9900 is. Well mine not so much. It gets a lot of hour glass loadings whenever I get new messages etc. Well I decided I would try to do a battery pull to see if that would fix it, and VIOLA! JVM ERROR 517. Obviously this 9900 of mine has a software issue. It is Bell branded. I'm going to try to reload the OS and see if it fixes it....... Anybody else get this problem?
    Yup my first 9900 did that a bell one also official firmware wasn't up yet so took it back and got a new one.

08-16-11 02:15 PM
    try to reload a newer OS..
    08-16-11 02:19 PM
    do you mean you got this problem on the 9900 or another device? I just put 296 on my Rogers 9900 here at work but it wouldn't work last night on my home PC. I never had a 517 error though. I think something must be corrupted in my registry at home. You could try installing it on another computer to see if you get a 517 error.
    yes on my 9900 the first day i got it.. i should have returned it but after troubleshooting for 2 hours i got it to load .296.. it's been flawless since until today when i got the jvm error again after rebooting..

maybe there is something about Tuesday that triggers the device to go nuts! hahaha
    Last edited by knowledge_6; 08-16-11 at 02:49 PM.
    08-16-11 02:47 PM
    yes on my 9900 the first day i got it.. i should have returned it but after troubleshooting for 2 hours i got it to load .296.. it's been flawless since until today when i got the jvm error again after rebooting..

maybe there is something about Tuesday that triggers the device to go nuts! hahaha
    Now I'm worried I'm going to get that error I just assumed it not loading 296 was simply because of a corruption at home but like you, it happened right out of the box. Here at the office it loaded the very first time which makes me think there was something wrong on my PC, not with the phone itself. What troubleshooting did you do to finally get it to load 296?
    08-16-11 03:03 PM
    Happened to me just now!

Only thing I did was restore an old BBGroup entry then it seemed like the phone froze so I did an alt+shift+del then got the JVM error 517 after.

Reloading OS now. This is the first time this has happened to me since 2005.

DAMN.
    08-16-11 04:30 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD