As Mobilicity has yet to sell the 9900 (or at least say they will at some point) can anyone tell me where I can get a 9900 that will function on their 1700/2100 network?

According to RIM's website, the 9900 supports those bands. but everyone I've talked to (at other carriers) says that even if i unlock a 9900 I get from them it won't work because "it's a a hardware thing, the 1700 was removed for our phones"..

I want the phone, but I also want to finally switch to a cheaper bill.... (with Rogers atm)

Anyone able to point me in the right direction?
    08-14-11 04:15 PM
    Mobilicity is a 3G provider using UMTS, they also operate on the AWS band at 2100 mhz downlink and 1700 mhz uplink

According to RIM
    9900:
    UMTS: 2100/1900/850/800 MHz or 2100/1700/900 MHz
    GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900
    HSDPA: 14.4 Mbps
    HSUPA: 5.76 Mbps

You can buy any unsub'd phone. Unlocked it should be able to work on the Mobilicity's network.
    08-14-11 04:22 PM
    As Mobilicity has yet to sell the 9900 (or at least say they will at some point) can anyone tell me where I can get a 9900 that will function on their 1700/2100 network?

According to RIM's website, the 9900 supports those bands. but everyone I've talked to (at other carriers) says that even if i unlock a 9900 I get from them it won't work because "it's a a hardware thing, the 1700 was removed for our phones"..

I want the phone, but I also want to finally switch to a cheaper bill.... (with Rogers atm)

Anyone able to point me in the right direction?
    So other carries you've talked to are claiming the hardware was removed from their units that would allow you to run on 1700/2100? That's total b.s as RIM wouldn't change their production pipeline to do that. A carrier could play with the software to block features, but hardware???... the things people will say to get you to sign up.
    Last edited by Robert_LA; 08-14-11 at 04:39 PM.
    08-14-11 04:32 PM
    that's just it, they weren't trying to get me to buy.. they were telling me NOT to buy..
    08-14-11 04:34 PM
    So other carries you've talked to are claiming the hardware removed from their units? Honestly that's total b.s.... the things people will say to get the sale.
    Seems to be common practice these days.

Using disinformation to challenge someone's desire. If you want it, they try to change your mind. If you do not want to buy it, they will come up with a host of reasons to do so.
    08-14-11 04:35 PM
    that's just it, they weren't trying to get me to buy.. they were telling me NOT to buy..
    I would buy it and have it unlocked and if it doesn't work on Mobilicty you could easily throw it up on Craigslist or eBay and get your money back. However I will put money on the table that their is no way in **** hardware was removed from the handset so that you couldn't use it on other carriers.
    08-14-11 04:38 PM
    Yeah, I would have to call foul on that as well. The hardware is intact.
    08-14-11 04:39 PM
    Seems to be common practice these days.

Using disinformation to challenge someone's desire. If you want it, they try to change your mind. If you do not want to buy it, they will come up with a host of reasons to do so.
    Agreed... I especially love it when people tell me Apple is going to be out of business when they are pushing an Android or that RIM is done and not making BB's anymore so they can push the iPhone.
    08-14-11 04:41 PM
    Agreed... I especially love it when people tell me Apple is going to be out of business when they are pushing an Android or that RIM is done and not making BB's anymore so they can push the iPhone.
    It's too bad really. In Canada (at least the major centres) I can remember finding out what the newest handsets were/are by going to my favorite off-the-beaten-path mobility centre. They had the latest phones and knew what was the best for your needs. Now handsetds are sold through the carriers for the most part and after the initial feeding frenzy is over, the smaller guys can move in.

Now it becomes; Well, company x we have an agreement with, so screw companies b, c, d, and e. With more and more handsets, with each their own set of pros and cons (lets not even get into the various carrier limitations) it can be difficult for the John and Jane Q Smartphone hunter to navigate.
    Last edited by Oniberry; 08-14-11 at 04:48 PM. Reason: those pesky 's
    08-14-11 04:47 PM
    It's too bad really. In Canada (at least the major centres) I can remember finding out what the newest handsets were/are by going to my favorite off-the-beaten-path mobility centre. They had the latest phones and knew what was the best for your needs. Now handsetds are sold through the carriers for the most part and after the initial feeding frenzy is over, the smaller guys can move in.

Now it becomes; Well, company x we have an agreement with, so screw companies b, c, d, and e. With more and more handsets, with each their own set of pros and cons (lets not even get into the various carrier limitations) it can be difficult for the John and Jane Q Smartphone hunter to navigate.
    I hear you... I lived in Vancouver for 2 years and it doesn't matter - north or south of the 49 - people will say anything as though its true to pimp out their flavor of the week/month.
    08-14-11 05:01 PM
    I'm currently on Wind mobile and am facing the same dilemma as well. As far as I know, the Rogers/Bell/Telus (Robelus) 9900s won't work on Wind nor Mobilicity. In order to get one that actually works, it must be purchased from T-Mobile in the United States. Other than that, just wait until Wind/Mobilicity releases their own AWS version of it.

Also a note to Oniberry: The phone must have both 1700 and 2100 support in order to work. It cannot just have 2100 but not 1700.
    08-14-11 05:15 PM
    I'm currently on Wind mobile and am facing the same dilemma as well. As far as I know, the Rogers/Bell/Telus (Robelus) 9900s won't work on Wind nor Mobilicity. In order to get one that actually works, it must be purchased from T-Mobile in the United States. Other than that, just wait until Wind/Mobilicity releases their own AWS version of it.

Also a note to Oniberry: The phone must have both 1700 and 2100 support in order to work. It cannot just have 2100 but not 1700.
    They will work on the MC network. They do support 21/17. See post #2
    08-14-11 05:18 PM
    And the final verdict is.. Nope.

A 9900 that has been branded Rogers, Bell or Telus (or the subs like solo & fido) will NOT work on Mobilicity, even when unlocked.

The basic 9900, does support the req. freq. but the above carriers did in fact have the phones modified, removing support for 1700 (and a few others).

Got this straight from Mobilicity themselves (they even tried one of their sim cards).

Buyer be ware!
    08-15-11 08:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD