I know its a very subjective question but I would like to hear your opinion on the matter. A bit of history, I've had the 7520-> 8300-> 9000 -> 9550 (two months) -> 9700. Now as you can see, all I've known is the keyboard, and I'm much more efficient when I have a keyboard. I absolutely hated the storm 2, it didn't work the way I wanted and I hated the damn click. I had my heart set on buying the 9900 but with the camera fiasco, I'm back to square one with what phone I should buy. My phone is my primary camera so it needs to be good. So if torch community wouldn't mind, could you please answer a few questions.
    1. Compared to the size of the 9700, how is the 9810. I don't mean in terms of mm and weight, I mean how does it feel. Does it feel bulky and clunky?

2. How is the keyboard?

3. Do you have to constantly slide the keyboard open to reply to bbms and messages or will a screen pop up for touch typing? Also, does it get annoying/irritating to constantly keep sliding open the screen?

4. What are the biggest plus points when compared to the 9700 and what are the biggest drawbacks when compared to the 9700.

Thanks for the help guys!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-11 08:12 AM
    I've had my 9810 for less than 24h, am planning on writing a review here when ive had a chance to tinker with it more.

The slide out keyboard, while much better than the screenboard, does not hold a candle to the 8900 that ive upgraded from. If keyboard is #1 priority for you, check out 9900? i tinkered with the 9900 in the store for a bit, and the keyboarding was a wonderful experience.
    08-13-11 09:07 AM
    I don't own a 9810 yet, but I do own a 9800 that I've been using since it launched. Having upgraded from a 9700 to get my 9800, I think my findings will still apply.

1. It's noticeably heavier, but the weight is balanced very well through the device so it isn't top or bottom heavy. Compared to a 9700, I think hefty would be the best word I could use to describe how the 9800 feels. It's not necessarily bulky or clunky, it just has this heavyweight feel. But compared to most other slider-type phones it's actually pretty sleek.

2. The keyboard is (to me) a small step back from the 9700. It's not as roomy on the sides due to it being slightly set in, but it's still a BlackBerry keyboard and hammering out long emails is a breeze. Once you get used to it you're fine.

3. There is a virtual keyboard for both portrait and landscape. I don't get annoyed with opening it as it's an assisted open and close mechanism, so it's pretty smooth and tight.

4. Biggest plus is obviously the screen size and touch capability, plus I believe the camera is better than the 9700. Also being able to use landscape view for web browsing is nice. Biggest drawbacks for me were losing the left convenience key (but I guess those are gone from all models now, so its a moot point) and losing the charging pod contacts. I own one, but I hate the Torch charging pod because it uses the usb port, I feel it defeats the functional advantage of using it over just a cable.

Going from the 9700 to the 9800 was a worthy upgrade in my opinion. So going from a 9700 to a 9810 is most definitely worth it. Unless having the absolute best keyboard on the planet is your number one concern, I think you'll be happy with a 9810.
    08-13-11 09:24 AM
    I enjoy the larger screen the torch offers. I transitioned from the World edition and Storm to the Torch as soon as it launched. The slider mechanism has become second nature, after teading a message I pop keyboard out to respond. If I want to use the virtual keyboard I have to actively think about keeping the keyboard closed or I will open it out of habit. As a Storm user I imagined that I would use the virtual keyboard the majority of the time, the reality is that I use physical keyboard for practically everything even when I have both options.

I share the grip about the lack of charging points. The micro USB is not the best way to charge the device. I'd like to see uniform/compatible charging contacts on all devices so my gf's 9900 can be dropped into the same charger as my 9800. In the meantime at least we only need one style of charger.
    08-13-11 09:52 AM
    I'm thinking about dropping my i4 for the 9810 and everybody's comments have been very helpful.
    08-13-11 10:20 AM
    If I can add one question: Is the HTML mail displayed properly like in iPhone or Android?
    08-13-11 10:40 AM
    If I can add one question: Is the HTML mail displayed properly like in iPhone or Android?
    I didn't get a chance to see an email on Iphone4 (2week's swapped for torch9800) but what i could say is the HTML 5 on this new Torch 9810 is amazing and also the email is readable good when you enable HTML even when you allow picture it looks like you are reading on to your desktop but at a more small scale.
    lrdiaz likes this.
    08-13-11 11:30 AM
    I got one yesterday, very unimpressed. I should have gone for the 9900 instead we had a demo unit in the day after. Overall this whole episode of new devices for RIM seem very exaggerated in my opinion. I think this will be my last blackberry.

brill
    08-13-11 11:39 AM
    Good to see that, you still have 12Days to change it for another device so why dont you go and change it for an 9900 and in that way you will be happy, or even that device will be a crap one for you and you will go to another devices out side of RIM radar.
    08-13-11 11:48 AM
    Does my a$$ itch?
    08-13-11 11:59 AM
    RIM devices don't meet every need. If I wanted a warp-speed processor, quad-core, 1080p device that can't make it through the day without being re-charged, I would have not chosen to own 4 RIM device models and buying a fifth one once it is released.

I wanted a "phone" that has a secure, proprietary messaging platform, a decent browser (one day that will support Flash), decent display, HD video recording/decent camera, and social media with an OS that optimizes battery life. I like the bar form factor of the 9900 and its keyboard but the screen real estate and the physical/virtual keyboard of the 9810 will make it a hard choice.

Choose the device that best meets your needs. Test the device in the store thoroughly before leaving to make sure. If you leave without doing so, you have no one to blame for any resulting disappointment.

08-13-11 12:06 PM
    Coming from a 9700 (my first berry) this is a huge improvement overall. The larger screen size with being visually impaired is a blessing. I tried OS6 on the 9700 and it made all web pages completely unreadable and with how much memory it takes up it was running extremely slow.

Now on the 9810 I am so much happier. I will more likely use the actual keyboard over the virtual one and so far I haven't had any issues and rather prefer the new keyboard. When the keyboard is out it feels really balanced and not top heavy.

So far my only quibble is moving the icons. I like to group things a certain way ie: having all my banking apps on the same line.
    08-13-11 02:24 PM
    Being able to customize which pages will be a huge improvement over my 9810. I am dying until AT&T releases.

08-13-11 04:16 PM
    Here's my opinion having had both the Torch and the Bold: If you need a physical keyboard, then the Torch is probably not for you as the Torch's physical keyboard is smaller than the Bold's. The sliding mechanism can sometimes develop a wobble as many users report. HOWEVER, if a large, high-resolution touch screen is important to you then the Torch may be a great device for you. It's all about personal preference.
    And yes, you do have to slide open the physical keyboard if you want to use it to reply to messages.
    08-13-11 04:40 PM
    Of course, everyone's favorite iconic keyboard is the 9000. Having had a 8310, the 9700 series and the T1 were no big deal to adjust to. The Torch will have a very slight wobble owing to the need to be able to slide the phone open and closed. There are always trade-offs between different form factors which meet different needs and one is not necessarily better than the other. Having owned the 9000 and the 9700 as well, I have never regretted moving to the slider. If you pop the slider up to answer a call, then you already have the physical keyboard ready to go and has a dramatic flare complemented by closing it to end the call. For a touchscreen phone, the larger the screen real estate the better especially when viewing videos and pictures. Web-browsing is also more enjoyable.
    08-13-11 05:02 PM
    I'm thinking about dropping my i4 for the 9810 and everybody's comments have been very helpful.
    You're not the only one planning to drop his iPhone 4.
    08-13-11 05:43 PM
    You're not the only one planning to drop his iPhone 4.
    BB hit two Birds with one Bullet. J/K
    08-14-11 01:50 AM
    That is funny. T2 is not the silver bullet yet despite the new battery cover.

08-14-11 09:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD