Currently, I am not a BB user, but realize that for my purposes, it's the best fit. My contract (Tmo) is up next week, so I can go to any carrier. I am considering the Bold 9900/9930. Why would I want one over the other; i.e. advantages vs. disadvantages?
    Thanks for your time, consideration and input.
    08-12-11 07:44 PM
    consider carrier branding if you plan to sell the device later on. unbranded devices can fetch a premium over branded ones. if the devices aren't physically branded, make sure to check the boot screen as well.
    08-12-11 07:50 PM
    consider carrier branding if you plan to sell the device later on. unbranded devices can fetch a premium over branded ones. if the devices aren't physically branded, make sure to check the boot screen as well.
    wow that had ZERO relevance to the OP.

El Becko, the 9900 is RIMs new flagship device, it has a fast processor, a great touch screen, a fantastic keypad and is a very solid device. Also the upgrades done to the OS, to make OS7 are very stable.

If you are looking for the latest and greatest, fastest ever BB. then this is the one.

If you are happy with just having a bb for emails and the actual specs arent a concern, maybe wait for one one the cheaper curve models coming out in the next months.
    El Becko likes this.
    08-12-11 07:55 PM
    I think maybe the OP was asking if there was a difference between the Bold 9900 and the Bold 9930?

If so, the only difference is the carrier and service type.

9900 = GSM (T-mobile and AT&T)

9930 = CDMA (Verizon and Sprint)

Other than that, they are pretty much the same. The 9930 still has a sim card slot that can be only used internationally, like if you were in europe and you unlocked your phone before leaving, you could pop in a local sim card and it would work just like GSM phones.
    El Becko likes this.
    08-12-11 08:07 PM
    @imrank128 - Thanks for your reply.

A couple more questions...

Is there an advantage to GSM over CDMA?

It looks like AT&T/Tmo will be the only outlet in the States which offer the 9900.

Is it not wise to have a device that is supported by only one carrier?

With the merger of AT&T/Tmo, would staying here (current contract with Tmo, to expire on 08/15) be unwise (in the near future)?
    08-12-11 09:20 PM
    There's an advantage with the internet speeds on the 9900 over the 9930.

With the merger of AT&T/Tmo, would staying here (current contract with Tmo, to expire on 08/15) be unwise (in the near future)?
    In the near future, no. By 2013, they may start to phase out existing T-Mobile handsets.
    El Becko likes this.
    08-12-11 09:35 PM
    @imrank128 - Thanks for your reply.

A couple more questions...

It looks like AT&T/Tmo will be the only outlet in the States which offer the 9900.

Is it not wise to have a device that is supported by only one carrier?

GSM allows your to talk and surf the web at the same time, CDMA can not.
    El Becko likes this.
    08-12-11 09:48 PM
    If you travel to overseas, the 9930 has both CDMA and GSM capabilities while the 9900 only has GSM. This means the 9930 can function nearly the world over (at least with Verizon), while the 9900 will not.

It's not a big deal for some, but it's a deal breaker for me since I need to do business in both Europe and Asia. (Also another reason I've stayed away from iPhone).
    08-12-11 10:00 PM
    If you travel to overseas, the 9930 has both CDMA and GSM capabilities while the 9900 only has GSM. This means the 9930 can function nearly the world over (at least with Verizon), while the 9900 will not.

It's not a big deal for some, but it's a deal breaker for me since I need to do business in both Europe and Asia. (Also another reason I've stayed away from iPhone).
    deal breaker? asia i dont know; but europe, what country doesnt use GSM?? CDMA is old stupid technology and getting the 9900 or 9930 wont change the percentage of working in europe.
    08-12-11 10:52 PM

Show me a country where GSM isn't supported.
    08-14-11 02:09 AM
    I think that was his point, you use the SIM card when you leave the country.

From what I've heard ATT overseas rates are way higher.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-11 02:16 AM

And, at least where I live, you basically can't get good ATT cell service anywhere without having a problem or dropping a call... Verizon has 3-5 bars just about everywhere I need it...
    08-14-11 02:26 AM
    However, You'll have to think of the future QNX coming sometime in 2012 some say Q1 some say Q3. Some say wait, but if you have specific reasons for a BB and 9900 might not what you choose, check in with others.
    08-14-11 02:54 AM
    wow that had ZERO relevance to the OP.
    People in glass houses, OP is asking about a GSM device v a CDMA device.
    08-14-11 03:18 AM

Just get the phone unlocked and use a prepaid sim card from a carrier in that country...am I missing something?
    08-14-11 03:47 AM
    GSM allows your to talk and surf the web at the same time, CDMA can not.
    At least not with a Blackberry.
    08-14-11 05:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD