My marketing department and my big corporation company said they were going to develop a Blackberry app to help them size parts for a machine. Its just a database. You simply enter the model number of a piece of equipment and it spits out another part number for the part.

Very simple.

Today we get the "app" and its just a website link. I said "this is not an app" It would be so much better to have an icon on everyone's blackberry that has our logo (so they have to see it every day) and they click on it and it opens the browser and goes straight to the link.

They said that is impossible as it would cost $50,000 to do it.

I said BS!

But I am not a programmer and can not speak to it. Can you guys give me some data points to use as hard evidence? Maybe a link to a free blackberry app written by some kid that is making no money on it (so there is no way he would pay 50k) and has it available for download.

Or maybe an explanation on how to do it so I can copy and paste it and send it to them?

Or maybe a bunch of people volunteering to do it for a few hundred dollars (hopefully it really isnt complicated and I am correct here)

I just feel like our marketing department made up that 50k figure.

Would it cost a lot of money to get an clickable icon to take you to a link on iphone? The goal was to get this "app" on both iphone and blackberry
    08-11-11 08:01 PM
    If you want, you can visit vworker.com and post what you're looking for there. You will find a lot of people willing to do for various amounts of money.

I've used this website to hire people to work on my website since I have no coding experience, boy did they do a good job!

$50,000 is a BIG BS! Impossible.
    08-11-11 08:07 PM
    If you want, you can visit vworker.com and post what you're looking for there. You will find a lot of people willing to do for various amounts of money.

I've used this website to hire people to work on my website since I have no coding experience, boy did they do a good job!

$50,000 is a BIG BS! Impossible.
    I dont want to waste people's time to bid and think they are getting the job as I just want an accurate number to present to my company.

Do you think big corporations will actually use the guy I find that will do it for 250 bucks and save money?! They will say he needs to be "approved" and go through some process, etc etc.

I am just looking for the data
    08-11-11 08:11 PM
    I can't vouch for this business, but it is $3 for a launcher.

BBLauncher.com - Custom BlackBerry Browser Launchers In A Flash

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Diamond Dog likes this.
    08-11-11 09:18 PM
    I can't vouch for this business, but it is $3 for a launcher.

BBLauncher.com - Custom BlackBerry Browser Launchers In A Flash

This is so awesome. I am going to shove this data down marketings throat.

Now I need to find the same thing for under a few hundred dollars for i-phone
    08-11-11 09:55 PM
    08-11-11 10:09 PM
    A link to a website is no bigger than 5 kib, just how far will your comrades spit out lies? I mean, s***... it's just a goddang link!

And congrats for that $3 vs $50,000 argument, tell us the look in their face when they see that link!

08-11-11 10:53 PM
    A link to a website is no bigger than 5 kib, just how far will your comrades spit out lies? I mean, s***... it's just a goddang link!

And congrats for that $3 vs $50,000 argument, tell us the look in their face when they see that link!

I don't think his company paid $50,000 for a link.
    08-11-11 11:10 PM
    What you can do is have a favicon as part of the web app. Then all you need to do is add the shortcut to your web app to your home screen and your company logo will be on your screen just like any other app. This method works for Android and iphone as well. There are some tutorials out there that show you how to make icons that will associate themselves to a particular platform. I can get you more info if you need.
    08-11-11 11:33 PM
    How about the CB launcher itself?

CrackBerry Launcher on CrackBerry App Superstore

I am not sure how to make launchers, but I am quite sure they don't cost 50 grand.

As for the iPhone... there are so many sites out there that allow you to make iPhone apps...

Check this one out and see if it helps: http://www.appmakr.com/
    Last edited by diegonei; 08-12-11 at 12:09 AM.
    08-11-11 11:58 PM
    10 Useful iPhone Shortcuts, Tips and Tricks
    Tip #4: Create a Homescreen Icon for Any Website

This is a really nice option for anyone who regularly visits websites that don’t offer their own app. You can easily add a one-touch shortcut for any webpage to your homescreen in the iPhone’s Safari browser.

Simply load up the site you’re interested in and then press the “+” on the bottom of the screen. Select the “Add to Home Screen” option.

You can then label it something appropriate. Now, as the screenshot below shows, there will be a shortcut icon to the site on your homescreen
    08-12-11 08:20 AM
    DiamondDog, you should spend the $3 to make the launcher, and then bill the Marketing department $50K for it.
    08-12-11 08:49 AM
    DiamondDog, you should spend the $3 to make the launcher, and then bill the Marketing department $50K for it.
    I would be more inclined to build the launcher yourself

and then have 3 friends submit bids to the company for $100-$300

keep his hands out of the development since if something goes wrong even on something so simple the company puts it on his head, split the money with the friends, or just have a night out with drinks with the money.

as for 50k, I actually believe it, the company our Marketing department uses for our website wanted to charge us $5000 to give us FTP access so we could store 100 high rez images, and upload them as we made changes to them and give direct links to customers to use for their catalogs.
    something in my spare time I could do in 1h tops, this guy wants $5000 for.
    When dealing with Corporate America company's can charge an arm and a leg if they know they are dealing with a department that doesn't actually know cost of work.
    08-12-11 09:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD