Hi.
    So this morning I was updating some apps on my 9900 (facebook and bbm) and did the reboot. Since then, my phone has been stuck in a constant reboot and will not load! I have done 2 battery pulls, and removed the sd card. One time, the screen went white and said "JVM error 528", and then the hourglass appeared for a while. Unfortunately the reboot cycle just resumed after that!

Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks,
    Mary
    Last edited by marynic; 08-11-11 at 10:41 AM.
    08-11-11 10:23 AM
    if BBSAK or a similar program can wipe it, try a reinstall?
    08-11-11 10:26 AM
    Is there a mac-compatible version of BBSAK?
    08-11-11 10:29 AM
    Unfortunately I think most of those programs require PCs as far as i know.
    08-11-11 10:30 AM
    You can try re-installing the OS through Mac.
    08-11-11 10:58 AM
    Hi.
    So this morning I was updating some apps on my 9900 (facebook and bbm) and did the reboot. Since then, my phone has been stuck in a constant reboot and will not load! I have done 2 battery pulls, and removed the sd card. One time, the screen went white and said "JVM error 528", and then the hourglass appeared for a while. Unfortunately the reboot cycle just resumed after that!

Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks,
    Mary
    this happened to me as well... i booted after installing some apps and i got the JVM 528 error...

I had to wipe the phone clean with JL.cmder and that is where more problems started..

I posted under a thread called "did something stupid"

i couldn't find the OS the rogers phones came with so i downloaded the VODA official OS and it didnt work, the apploader APP list where you check off apps was BLANK!

I tried both files (one from voda, one from fileserve that was posted)... i unplugged my phone, took out the batter with just usb cable in, restarted my computer.. did this about 10 times with different combinations..

FINALLY after 9 times.. the 10th time the apploader applist populated... now it works fine...
    08-11-11 11:02 AM
    Take it back.
    08-11-11 11:04 AM
    This is a BlackBerry.... so I would take it back to the store you brought it. OR call RIM customer support and give them s***t. I would call RIM even after you get the device replace to report this because they keep statistics on their sinking ship.
    08-11-11 11:14 AM
    This happened to me yesterday when I bought the phone at Bell. Turned it on at the kiosk and it just kept rebooting as soon as it started up. I would just go back and exchange it for a new one. That's what I did.
    08-11-11 11:26 AM
    This is a BlackBerry.... so I would take it back to the store you brought it. OR call RIM customer support and give them s***t. I would call RIM even after you get the device replace to report this because they keep statistics on their sinking ship.
    what would u know .. u work at best buy / future shop! in fact since u work there u should know that every electronic device has some bad apples (no pun intended).. TV's that have dead pixles, DVD players that don't play DVD's.. how many returns do you get in a day on electronics?

if u buy a 9900/30, 9810, 9850/60 and u post.. i will laugh cause u just bought a product from a "sinking ship"

edit: oh wait your signature is too funny!!

Pearl™ 8130 > Bold™ 9700 (Unlocked) > Bold™ 9900(future)

One step forward, two steps backwards; the Research in (slow) Motion.
    YAHHH RIM SUCKS but i'm gonna go buy a 9900!!
    08-11-11 11:26 AM
    what would u know .. u work at best buy / future shop! in fact since u work there u should know that every electronic device has some bad apples (no pun intended).. TV's that have dead pixles, DVD players that don't play DVD's.. how many returns do you get in a day on electronics?

if u buy a 9900/30, 9810, 9850/60 and u post.. i will laugh cause u just bought a product from a "sinking ship"

edit: oh wait your signature is too funny!!

YAHHH RIM SUCKS but i'm gonna go buy a 9900!!
    A lot of iPhone fails too.. BUT Apple recovers due to large market share. The ONLY reason I buy a BlackBerry, I am a university research student and we use Blackberry servers to connect to research databases. In addition to that I am hook on the physical keyboard.

Yes, iPhones fails too... specially the physical button of the iPhone fails a lot. But we all know RIM used to be a good hardware company and now 9780s are being returned under warranty so bad that it effected even the bottom line of RIM's future. Open your eyes.

Also, each company keeps a record of customer complains use that to improve their products and services. That's why I said, call RIM customer care and yell at them.

I have no choice, but buy a BB anyway. Also as a free thinker, I have the right to be critical on RIM. That's the whole point of a free market! If you complain enough to RIM, they may come out with a killer phone soon. If customers never call RIM a "sinking ship", the co-CEOs will ignore all of us.
    Last edited by mss-ca; 08-11-11 at 11:35 AM.
    08-11-11 11:32 AM
    what would u know .. u work at best buy / future shop!
    You question my intelligence... fine... please get a 3.8 GPA out of 4.0 in petroleum geology, computer engineering double major with research on computer modeling on oil and gas(hydrocarbon) explorations. I never said I hate RIM. I said RIM seems to be a sinking ship.
    08-11-11 11:39 AM
    you open your eyes!! the entire iphone4 line up was defective! yes they still sold because they have people drooling over it regardless (the animated cartoon of the guy going into a best buy like store was right on the money)

the 9780 was only released to ROGERS... so there was a VERY small population that got it.. so i don;t think it made a dent in their future!!

the 9900 hardware is AMAZING.. EVEN BGR is smarter then u are! cause he even said the manufacturing of RIM is getting better progressively!

RIM has over 2 billion in CASH on HAND!! like money in the pocket! how is that failure? with NO debt!!

people will always complain about everything!! i return stuff to best buy and complain just because i don't want it anymore and i'll make up a lame excuse! not cause it doens';t work anymore!
    08-11-11 11:40 AM
    you open your eyes!! the entire iphone4 line up was defective! yes they still sold because they have people drooling over it regardless (the animated cartoon of the guy going into a best buy like store was right on the money)

the 9780 was only released to ROGERS... so there was a VERY small population that got it.. so i don;t think it made a dent in their future!!

the 9900 hardware is AMAZING.. EVEN BGR is smarter then u are! cause he even said the manufacturing of RIM is getting better progressively!

RIM has over 2 billion in CASH on HAND!! like money in the pocket! how is that failure? with NO debt!!

people will always complain about everything!! i return stuff to best buy and complain just because i don't want it anymore and i'll make up a lame excuse! not cause it doens';t work anymore!
    Lets not fight over this.... We all here want the RIM to be successful. As a Canadian, I wish RIM WILL BE successful because our Canadian economy needs it soo bad. My mom's 9780 is TELUS for FYI and there is a large pop of people returned it under warranty.
    Last edited by mss-ca; 08-11-11 at 11:44 AM.
    08-11-11 11:41 AM
    Take it back!! You should not have to reinstall the software or wipe it or anything on a day or two old device. These type of things happen time to time on all devices that are mass produced. I'm sure your local store would exchange it with no problems. )
    08-11-11 11:48 AM
    Simple software reload as your OS is corrupted, however with it being so new it may be worth exchanging it in case the corruption was due to a hardware fault.
    08-11-11 11:52 AM
    Your right about the 9780. Just don't say rim is sinking then go back on it! I usually don't argue, but sometimes u don't make sense.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-11 11:53 AM
    Your right about the 9780. Just don't say rim is sinking then go back on it! I usually don't argue, but sometimes u don't make sense.
    Usually the rats flee the sinking ship, but I guess not in this case...
    08-11-11 01:21 PM
    Uh on.. So the same thing happened to me today.. My 9900 was acting all super slow and then so I did a force reboot and it gave me the jvm error 528 message..

Is this a nightmare come true??? Because I bought mine off ebay about 2 weeks ago on the rogers network for att. I am scared to death. I am going to wipe and reinstall the backup I made yesterday via DM (I have a mac). I did remove a bunch of language software and bloatware yesterday via DM; could that have caused it?

Either way, is there any way RIM will replace it for me? It was brand and sealed in the box when I got it. So its not like i bought it 'used' (technically I guess)..

Gosh this sucks..
    09-28-11 12:48 PM
    UPDATE: So it booted up (still gave the jvm error 528 message) but basically looks like it booted from scratch. nothing is on the phone, no wallpaper, no texts, nothing is setup..

Currently restoring from backup..

UPDATE: I restored from the backup and then rebooted. I didnt see the error message when rebooted but I wasnt watching it every second..

What should I do? Is it a hardware issue? Its working fine right now, but should I contact RIM to see if I can get it replaced before its a month old?

Thanks
    Last edited by austriker; 09-28-11 at 04:44 PM.
    09-28-11 01:05 PM
    So after I restored from DM, I havent had any issues. But I want to make sure my device is fine; was the error message just like a temporary thing? Is it something wrong with the hardware where I should contact RIM before its too late?

Thanks! This is a scary time for me..
    09-29-11 11:43 AM

Ah ..... how are you helping the OP ??
    09-29-11 12:12 PM
    This is happening to mine too, unfortunately I bought the POS off of craigslist. Now I'm stuck with a phone that doesn't boot up, since it gets stuck 3/4 way on the boot screen. Thanks RIM.
    11-12-11 08:48 PM
    So after I restored from DM, I havent had any issues. But I want to make sure my device is fine; was the error message just like a temporary thing? Is it something wrong with the hardware where I should contact RIM before its too late?

Thanks! This is a scary time for me..
    Based on the fact that you got it back up and running, I'm going to guess that maybe you deleted a needed component while cleaning up the bloatware. Most people who have encountered the bricking issue have not been able to recover.

Having purchased the phone on eBay, you may have difficulty returning itunless the seller will take it back. Hope it stays running for you.
    11-12-11 10:05 PM
    Lets not fight over this.... We all here want the RIM to be successful. As a Canadian, I wish RIM WILL BE successful because our Canadian economy needs it soo bad. My mom's 9780 is TELUS for FYI and there is a large pop of people returned it under warranty.
    Well, for someone with a 3.8 GPA, you certainly don't write like it. Grammar doesn't seem to be your friend, but tooting your horn seems to be something you excel at.
    11-12-11 10:58 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD