Hi! I need help, I just activated my BIS plan and I can't setup my Gmail account thru email setup. I managed to create 2 yahoo emails but the gmail one I keep getting update failed error or the username and password did not match error.

I know I have the right password because I've been using this email for years and I've also checked it a dozen times now.

What's wrong here? Does BB have issues with Gmail or something? Please help.. I'm using 9780. Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Flexin likes this.
    08-09-11 07:53 AM
    No, BB doesn't have issues with Gmail, I've set mine up on several BB's and it works perfectly.

Try logging into your carrier's BIS site and setting it up there. Then resend service books.
    08-09-11 07:54 AM
    Hi! I need help, I just activated my BIS plan and I can't setup my Gmail account thru email setup. I managed to create 2 yahoo emails but the gmail one I keep getting update failed error or the username and password did not match error.

I know I have the right password because I've been using this email for years and I've also checked it a dozen times now.

What's wrong here? Does BB have issues with Gmail or something? Please help.. I'm using 9780. Thanks!

1.On your BlackBerry device, navigate to your home screen
    2.Select the icon that lets you set up email (this can be called Setup, Setup Wizard, Email Setup, BlackBerry Set-up, E-mail settings, or Personal Email Set-up)
    3.Follow the setup instructions provided on your device to create a new e-mail account
    4.Be sure to enter the following:
    ◦Mail Server: imap.gmail.com
    ◦Username: [your full Google Apps email address]
    ◦Password: [your Google Apps password]
    ◦IMAP Port: 993
    5.Allow the system to add your account, but do not enter your Google Apps password into the utility boxes (this causes the system to default to POP3 instead of IMAP)
    6.Select Next
    7.Select Next again (bypassing the 'Additional Information Required' section)
    8.Select your account type, then select Next
    You may encounter a 'We were unable to configure...' error. Select I will provide the settings to continue
    9.Select the option that mentions 'IMAP/POP'
    10.Select I will provide the settings..., then select Next
    11.Select Set up existing email account...
    12.Enter your Google Apps account information here, with 'imap.gmail.com' as your mail server
    13.Select Next
    14.Select Save
    If setup is successful, you should receive a confirmation message and a new mailbox icon should appear on your device's home screen, labeled with your Google Apps email address.

If you encounter a problem during setup, please make sure you have enabled IMAP in your main
    flipward likes this.
    08-09-11 08:03 AM
    If none of these suggestions help you, better check on your gmail account (on a PC) if you have enabled one of the settings that allow you to send and receive mails other than on a pc.
    Good luck
    08-09-11 08:22 AM
    No, BB doesn't have issues with Gmail, I've set mine up on several BB's and it works perfectly.

Try logging into your carrier's BIS site and setting it up there. Then resend service books.
    Hi! My carrier doesn't have BIS site. I'm from Philippines and my carrier is Globe Telecoms. I've checked with Blackberry website and my carrier doesn't have BIS site.

2.Select the icon that lets you set up email (this can be called Setup, Setup Wizard, Email Setup, BlackBerry Set-up, E-mail settings, or Personal Email Set-up)
    3.Follow the setup instructions provided on your device to create a new e-mail account
    5.Allow the system to add your account, but do not enter your Google Apps password into the utility boxes (this causes the system to default to POP3 instead of IMAP)
    6.Select Next
    You may encounter a 'We were unable to configure...' error. Select I will provide the settings to continue
    12.Enter your Google Apps account information here, with 'imap.gmail.com' as your mail server
    13.Select Next
    14.Select Save
    If setup is successful, you should receive a confirmation message and a new mailbox icon should appear on your device's home screen, labeled with your Google Apps email address.

If you encounter a problem during setup, please make sure you have enabled IMAP in your main
    I cannot manually set up the email configuration. When I click the "setup manually" link, I can only add the server and username, no other fields available. Which means I can only add imap.gmail.com and my username.

If none of these suggestions help you, better check on your gmail account (on a PC) if you have enabled one of the settings that allow you to send and receive mails other than on a pc.
    Good luck
    Yep I've done that too. Disabled POP3 and enabled IMAP from Gmail settings.
    08-09-11 09:10 AM
    Hi! My carrier doesn't have BIS site. I'm from Philippines and my carrier is Globe Telecoms. I've checked with Blackberry website and my carrier doesn't have BIS site.

I cannot manually set up the email configuration. When I click the "setup manually" link, I can only add the server and username, no other fields available. Which means I can only add imap.gmail.com and my username.

Yep I've done that too. Disabled POP3 and enabled IMAP from Gmail settings.
    have you tried the gmail app....although its not push it does work well
    flipward likes this.
    08-09-11 09:59 AM
    Sounds like Gmail app is your only option then.

http://m.google.com/mail
    flipward likes this.
    08-09-11 10:02 AM
    @pcgizmo & carullo:

I searched google and there are others who have the same problem as mine. But all of them doesn't have answers. Well this sucks..

Anyway thanks guys maybe I'll try Gmail app while waiting for a solution.
    08-09-11 10:36 AM
    Wow! Finally I managed to setup my Gmail account on my 9780. I don't even know how I did it. Maybe it was a glitch in BIS yesterday. Anyway everything's okay now. Thanks to those who helped me..

08-09-11 07:35 PM
    My 9780 has my gmail assigned, but I'm damned if I can find the folder for it and the emails don't show up in the general messages folder.

I know I asked this question a long time ago, but can't find the post at the moment. I know it involved resending the service books but I can't recall the steps in doing that.
    08-16-11 08:30 AM
    Resend service books from

https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=telus

It should be under Help
    08-16-11 08:34 AM
    I had the same issue. At first i had the username-password match error. Later on i could not get my gmail account fully validated, so my calendar would not sync.

I cannot exactly tell which settings solved my problem, but it all has to do with the email settings in Gmail itself; especially pop and imap options.

Best route to follow is to create a new gmail account and connect it with your BIS. The new account will probably get accepted without any problems. If so; open up your existing account and just compare and duplicate all settings from your new account. Worked for me and requires hardly any brainpower.

** I was one of the first Gmail users, and over the years a fiddled alot with settings and all the new features google introduced (pop, imap, etc). I guess along the route some settings were too strange for my BIS (T-Mobile Netherlands) to handle.
    Last edited by Brunox; 08-16-11 at 09:48 AM.
    08-16-11 09:41 AM
    Yeah I keep getting the *update failed* issue now when resending the books .. grrr.

May have to do a device restore. I just got it back from service and have not restored the old device settings.
    08-17-11 09:11 AM
    any update to this? I just picked up my AT&T 9900 and Gmail's throwing me the "Update Failed" message.

I activated BIS through my device, but never received a logon or password to AT&T's BIS site. When I request a password, the email is blank.

I've googled this for the past hour or so and everything regards the BIS site in fixing this, and I think we all know what's it's like trying to get over-the-phone assistance from AT&T.

halp? thx.

edit: getting the same error with a @live.com address..
    Last edited by spitothec; 11-07-11 at 12:54 PM.
    11-07-11 12:51 PM
    any update to this? I just picked up my AT&T 9900 and Gmail's throwing me the "Update Failed" message.

I activated BIS through my device, but never received a logon or password to AT&T's BIS site. When I request a password, the email is blank.

I've googled this for the past hour or so and everything regards the BIS site in fixing this, and I think we all know what's it's like trying to get over-the-phone assistance from AT&T.

halp? thx.

edit: getting the same error with a @live.com address..
    You will have to get that Login & password from AT&T to fix it unfortunately. The server needs to be validated. Once done, all problems will be over.

Usually Login is your phone number while password is the tricky one.
    Try Welcome123 or AT_T123 or at_t123 or Secure123
    Last edited by audio_engr; 11-07-11 at 01:40 PM.
    spitothec likes this.
    11-07-11 01:36 PM
    for anyone else that comes across this issue -

I spoke to an AT&T rep who, God bless her heart, I believe was learning more about RIM's systems from me than I from her. Her concerns seemed to revolve around RIM's attempt to change BIS to allow you to log in with your BBID. That was a good 20 minutes. She kicked me to some second level guy who said he had never encountered this issue and after getting into a chatroom with 3rd level techs, also had no resolution. He had me do BUYR (?) testing to make sure there wasn't an IT policy installed, and some other things regarding Service Books. He also complained about his inability to access my BIS account due to the switchover to BBID logons. That was 30 minutes. He finally forwarded it to RIM Support, who again, had no idea what could possibly be causing this. At this point, the most frustrating parts were that none of them could understand that I have different passwords for my Gmail and BBID, and that they didn't understand why I've had 6+ devices registered to my BBID but I didn't have them with me. After having me replace Service Books, do a couple battery pulls, and do some Host Routing Table testing, she finally had me download and reinstall the OS. That was about 40 minutes.

I was on the phone for well over an hour, I've now installed AT&T's OS and went ahead and flashed Wind's newest OS and still have the same issue. Another issue that has started since trying to fix this is that I can no longer download anything from AppWorld.

If I remember, I'll update this after my flight tomorrow when I have a chance to call RIM back. As horrible as Google's Gmail app is, thank God for it.

TL;DR? Something in BIS has changed, they can't reset my account, and no one knows how to fix any of it.
    11-07-11 07:36 PM
    boy-o-boy ...........

AT&T needs to refresh your blackberry account on their server & RESET the password. That's all. Any os should work and under no circumstances its os dependent.

To my knowledge, the only thing RIM did for the BIS accounts was adding 4.1 support that allows attachments of a higher capacity.

Refreshing your account from AT&T's backend with resetting your password should allow you entry to : https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=mycingular
    spitothec likes this.
    11-07-11 09:03 PM
    AT&T needs to refresh your blackberry account on their server & RESET the password. That's all.[/URL]
    From what I gathered, they can no longer do this due to RIM switching from standalone BIS logons to using BBID logons for BIS. I'll call them and inquire about this again today. High hopes and low expectations.
    11-08-11 05:52 AM
    For anyone else that comes across this -

The problem was caused by me having "&" and "!" symbols in my passwords. I changed my Gmail and Hotmail passwords to be strictly letters and numbers and both connected without issue. For BB's security focused systems, this seems a bit strange to me, but it worked and the problem is resolved. Thanks to Audio_engr for his input!
    11-09-11 01:34 PM
    well after having the same problem for a few days (after os update to os 6 and have 2 other email accounts setup) I did a bat swap and before trying to setup the gmail account i logged on to gmail and changed my password.
    When I tried to set up the account, it worked like a charm.

BB9700
    os 6 1879 bundle
    gmail is a google apps account
    11-13-11 08:30 AM
    6.Select Next
    13.Select Next
    14.Select Save

I'm still having issues.
    I can set up email on the device, but only options are username and PW.
    The it fails., tell me invaid email an dPW.

Attempt to set up on PB, get the login info incorrect error even though I am currently logged in on PC.

Any suggestons? please and thank you.
    02-24-12 11:42 AM
    Hi,

I too was facing the same problem, but this solution worked for me:
    If for you gmail account (the actual account and not the one on BB) you have had an ASP (application specific password) at any time, try revoking and regenerating it. Now using this ASP, setup your account using the process for your set, it will be done without any glitch.
    06-22-13 04:00 PM
    For those who still has this problem, the following works for me:

1) Open up Blackberry Desktop Management Software
    2) Reinstall Blackberry 7.1.0 Core Applications
    3) Set up Email
    4) Enter your password for that particular email box
    5) Manually configure the email box
    6) Ta da
    09-24-13 12:53 PM
    I'm still having issues.
    I can set up email on the device, but only options are username and PW.
    The it fails., tell me invaid email an dPW.

Attempt to set up on PB, get the login info incorrect error even though I am currently logged in on PC.

Any suggestons? please and thank you.
    M having similar problem too. I am using a blackberry 9810. I ve successfully set up a yahoomail account and m trying to set up my gmail account but keep getting the update failed. The only email acct I can succesfully add apart from my yahoomail, is my blackberry email ie @blackberry.com. Pls I need help here. There's no manual option displaying evn when I put in the wrong password. The only option I see Is email address and PW. Or is my phone limited to jst one email acct? Pls help. Thnx
    09-28-13 04:55 PM
    Super super old bump here but this needs to be on this page. If you log in to your Gmail account on a PC, go to this URL and it will allow previous blocked services for 10 minutes. Just sign in via your Blackberry in that window and it should work from then on. https://accounts.google.com/DisplayUnlockCaptcha
    Lefty724 likes this.
    09-26-14 09:32 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD