There's a lot of confusion surrounding this topic re the 9900/9930. For some, myself included, this is the deciding factor between the bold touch and the torch 9810. Is there an official position yet? Can anyone say for sure what the situation is?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-11 06:07 AM
    The 9900/9930 series devices do not have auto focus. There are many threads posted about this topic and if you read them, you'll find the answers (and then some ) that you're looking for.
    08-09-11 06:24 AM
    The 9900/9930 series devices do not have auto focus. There are many threads posted about this topic and if you read them, you'll find the answers (and then some ) that you're looking for.
    Its funny you should say that because I was so stressed I was about to start a post entitled "How long has it been without a new thread asking about auto-focus?"

I mean if RIM is to survive we need more and more posts on this, the single most important question - not just in RIM's world, but in all the Cellular industry globally. I've heard NASA has questions on this issue, and the CIA have set-up a team to monitor the situation.

Heck, I'm worried even Kevin's whole site could collapse if more NEW threads on auto-focus are not started.

RIGHT NOW PEOPLE!!!!!
    08-09-11 06:46 AM
    I see the OP as a valid question, while it could have been merged into an existing thread its still a valid point . . . just as the simsim1000's is.
    08-09-11 07:17 AM
    I've read through almost all of the "other posts"
    My opinion is: I think ppl are getting WAY too wiggie about this....especially when it's not even out yet.
    I've also read other printed material comparing EDoF to Auto Focus.
    It seems that from a distance of 2" or greater, EDoF works quite well.
    Less than 2", not so much....but a "work around" exists.
    I think it'll come down to: Get the d*mn thing if you want....try it....don't get it if you don't like the 1 feature it "POSSIBLY" lacks.
    08-09-11 09:50 AM
    no auto focus. derusset (I think thats how you spell his name) said that Nokia has the best camera's and dont have auto focus soo.
    08-09-11 11:54 AM
    no auto focus. derusset (I think thats how you spell his name) said that Nokia has the best camera's and dont have auto focus soo.
    EDOF is the primary beef Nokia owners have with the cameras that sport EDOF...
    ...It's a "cheap" tech that's substandard to AF by a long shot.

EDOF is worthless in a business application.
    John95 and Taigatrommel like this.
    08-09-11 01:22 PM
    I see people poke fun at other people who are 'over-reacting' about no auto-focus on the Bold 9900/9930 because they think it's silly to worry about such a thing, but in all reality, it's a pretty big deal to a lot of people. Auto-focus has been a standard for the past 4 years at least, and for good reason; it was a feature that, when unveiled on mobile phone devices, was a big jump in camera-phone technology. Sure you can take good pictures without auto-focus, but from what I've seen of the Bold 9900/9930 pictures, I'm pretty disappointed.
    08-09-11 01:52 PM
    I see people poke fun at other people who are 'over-reacting' about no auto-focus on the Bold 9900/9930 because they think it's silly to worry about such a thing, but in all reality, it's a pretty big deal to a lot of people. Auto-focus has been a standard for the past 4 years at least, and for good reason; it was a feature that, when unveiled on mobile phone devices, was a big jump in camera-phone technology. Sure you can take good pictures without auto-focus, but from what I've seen of the Bold 9900/9930 pictures, I'm pretty disappointed.
    Yes, the distance shots taken with an EDOF camera can look good and IMHO are acceptable given they are coming from a "phone" HOWEVER 99% of the pictures a person would take for things WORK RELATED are well past the ability of an EDOF camera.

When even the reviews that are positive about EDOF smartphone cameras suggest using a MAGNIFYING glass in conjunction with the EDOF camera if you need to capture document text OR ANYTHING close up with detail..... WTF was RIM thinking on putting this type of cheap tech into their flagship "business smartphone"????
    08-09-11 02:39 PM
    Yes, the distance shots taken with an EDOF camera can look good and IMHO are acceptable given they are coming from a "phone" HOWEVER 99% of the pictures a person would take for things WORK RELATED are well past the ability of an EDOF camera.

When even the reviews that are positive about EDOF smartphone cameras suggest using a MAGNIFYING glass in conjunction with the EDOF camera if you need to capture document text OR ANYTHING close up with detail..... WTF was RIM thinking on putting this type of cheap tech into their flagship "business smartphone"????
    I agree on that. Im a new blackberry 9930 user and i love blackberry so much because i can take picture and immediately share it through my social network sites. i love eating and posting them immediately on facebook, twitter, bbm, etc, but i just found out awhile ago that my phone is not equipped with auto-focus unlike my old bb9700 which i used and loved for almost a year. now i cannot even take a decent photo of what im about to eat. my 2mp sony erricson takes picture better on a closeup compared to this 5mp cam phone but i cannot send it online immediately. so crazy coz i wasnt able to know that before i bought this expensive phone. just so disappointed coz I hate iPhone coz its so common, everybody like has one and i thought this would be a great investment since its the flagship phone of blackberry that is reasonable for consumers that can be leveled with iphone 4's features. suddenly lost delight with my 1 week old phone.
    08-15-12 09:14 PM
    Digging up a year old thread to complain that you didn't research the expensive product you bought? Like, awesome.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    08-15-12 10:08 PM
    Even if a phone has autofocus, if you really want great quality photos, get a digital camera. The camera is just a convenience feature. It is not for doing high quality photography. It is not what the majority of business or personal users use a BlackBerry for. Most people use a BlackBerry for texts, calls, emails, and internet, so it makes more sense from a business perspective for RIM to focus on making those aspects of the phone the best they can be rather than to go all out on a convenience feature like the camera.
    08-15-12 10:54 PM
    Necroposting over. Night night folks.
    08-15-12 11:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD