just wondering how much bigger the screen is on the new bold touch compared to the 9780?
    thanks
    08-07-11 09:04 AM
    2.8" compared to 2.44"

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-11 09:09 AM
    The Bold 9000 has the same (similar) screen size.

It's "ginormous" when held in your hand. Not too much smaller than iPhone.
    08-07-11 09:18 AM
    Nope, on both counts.

It is bigger than the 9000 (2.8" vs 2.6").

And WAAAAAY smaller than the iPhone 3.5".

The 9900 looks very promising and has a vivid display, but let's not get carried away
    08-07-11 09:38 AM
    2.8 is way too small for touch imo, but having a physical kb + trackpad/touch combo makes this phone a winner .
    08-07-11 09:49 AM
    But the iPhone 3.5" is full height, right? The iPhone4 is a 3.5" screen, 960x640, and if my trig is correct, that means that the width is 2" and the height is 3" (assuming the pixels are square).

The Bold 9900, if it has a 2.8" 640x480 screen, has a height of 1.7", and a width of slightly over 2.2".

That makes the half of the Bold 9900 that is a screen, bigger than half of the screen of an iPhone... which I think is a fairer comparison for some things anyway (at least for anything where you'd have a keyboard taking up screen space) - especially when talking about if it's big enough for touch.
    Last edited by kjmenzel; 08-07-11 at 10:00 AM.
    ratchetjaw#AC likes this.
    08-07-11 09:55 AM
    2.8 is way too small for touch imo, but having a physical kb + trackpad/touch combo makes this phone a winner .
    Agreed. In my case it would be more a case of occasionally tapping a link on the touchscreen rather than anything else. And pinch to zoom of course.

But the combination of touchscreen and full keyboard is mouthwatering.
    08-07-11 10:05 AM
    Agreed. In my case it would be more a case of occasionally tapping a link on the touchscreen rather than anything else. And pinch to zoom of course.

But the combination of touchscreen and full keyboard is mouthwatering.
    You lose vertical space for the keyboard, but everything in the remaining physical space will be larger, not smaller, so it should be easier to click on stuff in the remaining space, not harder.
    08-07-11 10:13 AM
    You lose vertical space for the keyboard, but everything in the remaining physical space will be larger, not smaller, so it should be easier to click on stuff in the remaining space, not harder.
    Huh? The point was that 2.8" is too small for a touchscreen (to do much more than tap links). And you need to scroll around and zoom a lot more than on a 3.5" or 4" screen designed for touch only.

Being landscape means less lateral but (much) more vertical scrolling. Agreed. But bottom line remains TOO SMALL. Imagine reading a PDF or an excel file.

Great in combination with the Playbook though
    08-07-11 10:32 AM
    I still think it's better than people are making out. I mean, if your argument is that you need a 640x960 screen to do anything, then maybe you have a point, but my argument is that if you can do more than tap links on the top half of an iPhone 4, you can do more than tap links on the bold 9900, because for the same resolution, the screen is BIGGER on the 9900.

Top half of Blackberry Bold is a 4:3 640x480 area with a physical size of 2.2"x1.7".

Top half of an iPhone 4 is a 4:3 640x480 area with a physical size of 2"x1.5"

So comparing only the top halves of the devices in terms of the screen, the Bold has a bigger screen. Yes, the Bold, when compared with an iPhone in a mode where the keyboard is not showing, requires 2x (maximum) the scrolling to display the same content. It's clear, when you buy a Bold though, that the bottom of the device will always be relegated to use as a keyboard though. That's the whole point.

And I can imagine doing quite a few things at the resolution of 640x480 - I spent my formative years of computing on machines that did 640x480 maximum [or 640x400 for DOS text mode], and I read documents, and did spreadsheets on that just fine!
    Last edited by kjmenzel; 08-07-11 at 11:14 AM.
    08-07-11 11:08 AM
    You cannot compare a 2.8" screen to the 4" , 4.3" or even the iphone's 3.7 " as far as overall touchscreen experience but the bold shouldn't even be compared to those phones. It's the overall keyboard,form factor,trackpad along with the touch experience that will sell this phone. Let's not forget the specs,finally BB users have something to brag about
    08-07-11 11:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD