08-07-11 06:46 AM
    There are horrible pics
    08-07-11 06:48 AM
    The third image is blurred due to shake and not because the lens could not focus.
    yerfgofe likes this.
    08-07-11 06:49 AM
    1st is pretty good
    2nd looks like it's taken from a computer screen
    3rd is just shocky and that is not because the 9900/9930 doesn't have AF, it's just a bad taken photo
    4th is ok

conclusion: the camera is pretty good in daylight, ok in the dark.
    08-07-11 07:20 AM
    This is like old news...
    08-07-11 07:32 AM
    I think the pix look great for a 5mp phone camera (except the 3rd one)
    I also think all the smack about the 9900 camera sux.
    99.9% of the comments are from ppl with no experiance with it. I've researched EDoF a bit and it seems like it's a better technology for a phone.
    As I've stated in another post, I personally will reserve judgment until I see it 1st hand.
    08-07-11 07:42 AM
    Really shocked by the poor quality of these pictures... My captivate had auto focus and was thinner as well. I'm hoping this blackberry was malfunctioning. I need a decent camera with this keyboard. I saw some pictures the playbook shot and they were not half bad. AF is a must for my closeup pics of my children, torch 9810 here I come?
    08-07-11 08:23 AM
    I think the pix look great for a 5mp phone camera (except the 3rd one)
    I also think all the smack about the 9900 camera sux.
    99.9% of the comments are from ppl with no experiance with it. I've researched EDoF a bit and it seems like it's a better technology for a phone.
    As I've stated in another post, I personally will reserve judgment until I see it 1st hand.
    I agree completely. I have my playbook and can take very satisfactory close up shots. Takes more effort but doable. Further away shots take less effort to get good shots. I think on a phone this will be an advantage for quick shots
    08-07-11 09:11 AM
    Poor quality pics.
    08-07-11 10:37 AM
    Poor quality pics.
    From what I've seen....these pix are as good or better that any other mobile device.
    Just sayin......

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by berryjunkie; 08-07-11 at 11:08 AM.
    08-07-11 10:41 AM
    From what I've seen....these pix are as good of better that any other mobile devicem
    Just sayin......

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I agree totally, its going to be just fine
    08-07-11 10:47 AM
    These photos are pretty terrible. Only the first one is decent. Even discounting the obvious handshake on the 3rd one, they're reminiscent of the first camera phone photos. Terrible contrast, purple-reddish tints, and the fixed focus really shows its inferiority.
    08-07-11 10:53 AM
    i was so excited now just not sure.
    rim always does this its started to get upsetting
    08-07-11 11:16 AM
    I would agree, those pictures are very substandard and no - I'm not contrasting them with a DSLR either....
    ...The following attached pics were taken by "ME" with my Bold 9650 which does have AF.
    ...They were taken in poor light and the majority are of text detail - such as one needs to take in the "business world".

What took these pictures is "yesterdays tech" BY A LONG SHOT....
    ...And frankly the examples of the 9900 pictures I've looked at.
    ...Are of a significantly lesser quality than my Bold 9650.
    ...WTF is going on here?
    SillyRabbit21 likes this.
    08-07-11 11:26 AM
    the quality of these pics have nothing to do with AF or not. first off, who takes a pic of something that's in front of a window? don't they teach you in photo 101 that this will make a terrible pic?
    08-07-11 11:35 AM
    I'm not too concerned about the picture quality. It's a lot better than many devices out there. If I wanted a good camera, i'd purchase a dslr or digital camera. But overall, the pictures will turn out good if you have steady hands.
    08-07-11 11:37 AM
    the quality of these pics have nothing to do with AF or not. first off, who takes a pic of something that's in front of a window? don't they teach you in photo 101 that this will make a terrible pic?
    Is that why you believe the phone was given to a person who does "reviews" of products online?
    ...To make the product look as bad as possible instead of as good as possible?

I would like nothing more then to have this concern about the lack of AF shut down by PROOF of pictures....
    ....So far everything we've seen related to pictures that AF would indeed effect have been MIA.
    ....This includes shots from the Playbook!

I've posted several examples of the types of pictures those concerned have been talking about....
    ...And those pictures came from a nearly two year old blackberry!
    ...The ONLY real concern we have is that the 9900 / 30 will take at least as good of shots as the previous BB's.

Until someone demonstrates the camera on the new 9900 does as good of a job for the close up type shots used in normal everyday business this topic is going to continue to ROT and cause more problems for RIM that it does not need at this time.
    08-07-11 11:43 AM
    I'm not too concerned about the picture quality. It's a lot better than many devices out there. If I wanted a good camera, i'd purchase a dslr or digital camera. But overall, the pictures will turn out good if you have steady hands.
    The vast majority of people in the market for a smartphone will not look at it that way...
    ...They will simply go buy an iphone or droid.

At this juncture in the world's history a person does not need to buy a DSLR if the only thing they want to do is have their "new phone" take at least as good of pictures as their two year old blackberry phone".
    08-07-11 11:48 AM
    I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but this is beyond disappointing for me. I have my own business and use my cameras, DSLR and BB all the time. This quality is unacceptable, I simply can't use this poor level of output. Our BB 8330's take a more usable picture. Trust me I compared the samples.

I have looked at the samples here and several other places. It's a deal breaker. It's a heartbreaker too. I have the first 2 9930's (that will arrive0 on reserve at my local Vrz store. I may have to cancel and start my search again. I don't know what to say. All this waiting and now this...
    08-12-11 11:47 PM
    The vast majority of people in the market for a smartphone will not look at it that way...
    ...They will simply go buy an iphone or droid.

At this juncture in the world's history a person does not need to buy a DSLR if the only thing they want to do is have their "new phone" take at least as good of pictures as their two year old blackberry phone".
    Will you please just go and buy an iphone or droid already then? You have been complaining non stop about this camera since day 1. Believe it or not, the MAJORITY of people don't care, thus, they aren't coming onto CrackBerry to complain like you. The MAJORITY (which you are referring to the majority by the 5 or 10 people also complaining about it on here as the "majority" which just isn't true)

Will you just please go buy a different phone or cut open your 9650 and do surgery on your 9930 and throw it in? You haven't stopped complaining about this and it's going absolutely nowhere. They are not going to see your posts and go "OH SH*T WE SHOULD PUT AN AF IN THIS, Quick! Stop the production line!! A few people won't buy our phone because it doesn't have an AF!"

I mean I have the same exact phone as you and I have probably taken about 40 pictures with it over the YEAR I have had the phone and I am an average "CrackBerry user" on these forums. Just drop it already, its going nowhere.. Or go protest outside of the Mexican factory.. I mean do one of those, please.
    08-13-11 12:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD