So I'm about to buy a 9630 Tour from a guy off Craigslist. The MEID and ESN have been checked out by Verizon (I called them) and the phone is free and clear and not stolen. However the phone is supposed to be unlocked and I am going to be using it in Spain.

The question is, how do I know for sure the phone is unlocked and can be used with a different carrier. I don't have a SIM to put in the phone right now to check it.

Edit: I would research it more but I'm currently packing to move to Spain and am supposed to be picking up this phone in a few hours so.

Thanks,

Ibiza Rocks
    Last edited by Ibiza_Rocks; 08-06-11 at 07:11 AM.
    08-06-11 06:33 AM
    Options > Advanced Options > SIM Card > hold the SHIFT KEY and type MEPD > if it reads "Disabled" or "Inactive" next to Network then it is unlocked.

But I believe that you need SIM card in the device. (Not 100% sure on that particular point.)
    08-06-11 11:39 AM
    i dont see a shift key to hold down and when i just type in MEPD nothing happens. some help here
    08-06-11 05:11 PM
    No need to hold the shift key .. just type mepd from the keyboard in the sim card menu. As Motorcycle Mama explained, if it is unlocked then beside network it would show disabled. *Yes you need any sim inside this device to make it work.
    08-06-11 05:24 PM
    yes sim card is needed for this work...
    follow the procedure as already explained by Motoercycle Mama...
    08-07-11 10:59 AM
    i dont see a shift key to hold down and when i just type in MEPD nothing happens. some help here
    The Shift key is the key you use to type capital letters. You don't have that key on the bottom left of the keyboard??
    08-07-11 12:45 PM
    In the presence of SIM turn of all wireless connections and follow these steps
    go to options>advanced options>click SIM card>hold alt and press mep2>enter IMEI code>press track ball for acceptance of code>restart BB 9630.
    from mobile network options set
    network technology to GSM/UMTS
    network mode to 3G and 2G
    turn mobile network on.

BB 9630 is unlocked.....
    08-10-11 10:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD