Quote from Gizmodo:

"The 9810 is your typical mid-range handset with a 1.2GHz processor, 8GB of onboard storage, 720p HD recording, HSPA+ connectivity and BlackBerry OS 7."

The First BlackBerry OS 7 Phones Look Real Familiar

I find it hilarious that you can put those specs and mid-range in the same sentence. What has tech journalism come to?
    08-03-11 09:10 AM
    To quote(or thereabouts) a great man: "People still read Gizmodo"

@Hap DD
    bighap, diegonei, BBThemes and 1 others like this.
    08-03-11 09:30 AM
    With dual-core 1.2 ghz, 1080p HD recording android phones flying out the window now.... yes this phone is indeed mid-range so LMAO @ you.
    anon(2729369) likes this.
    08-03-11 10:43 AM
    Gizmodo is a waste of a site... I enjoy flaming them rather than reading the slow out dated crap they publish. @manjazz123 we are not comparing android phones we are comparing to previous BB models. These are indeed high specd models in the BB world. If you want android go to the top Left of the website and click "android". You can troll all you want there.
    rhaneyjr likes this.
    08-03-11 10:57 AM
    With dual-core 1.2 ghz, 1080p HD recording android phones flying out the window now.... yes this phone is indeed mid-range so LMAO @ you.
    Yeah, because specs are everything, right? The high end sensation with it's fancy dual core processor still can't keep up in speed to an 800mhz iPhone. Just putting it in perspective for you...
    08-03-11 11:09 AM
    Gizmodo is a waste of a site... I enjoy flaming them rather than reading the slow out dated crap they publish. @manjazz123 we are not comparing android phones we are comparing to previous BB models. These are indeed high specd models in the BB world. If you want android go to the top Left of the website and click "android". You can troll all you want there.
    Clearly the article is calling it a mid-range HANDSET. Did it say mid-range among other BLACKBERRY phones? No. I own a blackberry and I'm happy with it. But I can accept that it has lower specs among other HANDSETS out there. So NO I will go to the Android forum but thanks for your suggestion.
    08-03-11 11:40 AM
    The greatest specs in the world won't do a thing for me if the phone itself leaves me cold.
    Been there with the Atrix...great specs....not what I want nor need.
    It's the phone's ability to match to your day that matters. I much prefer my current Torch to the Atrix I gave away to a family member. Too often people concentrate on the specs without paying attention to how those specs relate to real world and real functionality.
    08-03-11 11:56 AM
    I agree with Qbnkelt but I also disagree with the assertion that 1.2 GHZ, HSPA+ and 720p video recording with the greatest keyboard on the planet is mid range. Of course this is just my opinion. What is gizmodo anyway?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-03-11 12:05 PM
    huh? gizwhat?
    08-03-11 12:45 PM
    Actually, you described the "top end"... anything that's not the "absolute top end" is not necessarily "mid-range". Is an Android device like the Motorola Defy: an 800 MHz device running Android 2.2, "mid range"?
    08-05-11 11:49 AM
    if only battery life matters.. o wait it does.

#bazinga.
    08-05-11 01:22 PM
    While the specs aren't right at the top of the high-end, they are clearly still well within the mainstream part of the high-end market and to try and dismiss them as being merely midrange is simply idiotic.

Incidentally, if those specs did imply midrange, would that make a sub 1ghz phone with 512mb of ram a low-end model? (those would be the iphone4's specs)
    08-05-11 01:45 PM
    I find it funny how "ultra high-end" Android phones come out with 1GHz single core and people don't bash them (Xperia Arc, Play, HTC Thunderbolt, etc), but RIM comes out with 1.2GHz and everyone goes "this is great...for 2006".

I must say, it is annoying. Why all the hate?
    08-05-11 02:10 PM
    While the specs aren't right at the top of the high-end, they are clearly still well within the mainstream part of the high-end market and to try and dismiss them as being merely midrange is simply idiotic.

Incidentally, if those specs did imply midrange, would that make a sub 1ghz phone with 512mb of ram a low-end model? (those would be the iphone4's specs)
    Did you just call the iPhone low-end? Now all of the "tech-savvy users" will criticize you for it!

And wait, where do the Optimus S, T, One, etc, fit then? These new BBs are well on top of the hardware line, just behind those dual-core monstruosities (all 3 of them).
    08-05-11 02:12 PM
    The greatest specs in the world won't do a thing for me if the phone itself leaves me cold.
    Been there with the Atrix...great specs....not what I want nor need.
    It's the phone's ability to match to your day that matters. I much prefer my current Torch to the Atrix I gave away to a family member. Too often people concentrate on the specs without paying attention to how those specs relate to real world and real functionality.
    Did you have the torch before the atrix? are you eyeing any of the new bberrys?

I find it funny how "ultra high-end" Android phones come out with 1GHz single core and people don't bash them (Xperia Arc, Play, HTC Thunderbolt, etc), but RIM comes out with 1.2GHz and everyone goes "this is great...for 2006".

People bash the thrunderbolt, charge, etc all the time, android users will not take a single core these days. In fact, the bionic and Galaxy S II are the talk to the town, no body wants to look at anything else.
    Last edited by dcgore; 08-05-11 at 04:02 PM.
    08-05-11 04:00 PM
    Because Android is Lagdroid without those specs.
    It's really not all that different.
    iOS is optimized for it's hardware specs. Android-using-companies just throw crap (bloatware like Motoblur, Touchjizz etc.) onto slabs and hope people won't realize it's stuttering along.
    08-05-11 10:28 PM
    Did you have the torch before the atrix? are you eyeing any of the new bberrys?
    I had the Torch and went for the Atrix on an impulse. Gorgeous device. Amazing specs. BB obliterating multimedia.

But....it developed lag, I missed the depth of profiles and notifications on my BB. And I never made it past 14 hours on a full charge during the week with the same use I put my BB through.
    I might have forgiven everything if it hadn't been for the day that I tried to load E! in the DC Metro and it simply couldn't. Then I tried to browse and it lagged more than my Torch. The day I took the Torch out of my purse to access websites faster than my Atrix was the day I decided this was not for me.
    So I went back to my Torch.

I am eyeing the Torch 2, the 9900, and the new Curve. Will buy them all.
    08-06-11 09:23 AM
    Did you just call the iPhone low-end? Now all of the "tech-savvy users" will criticize you for it!
    It does seem to indicate the idiocy of the description quite well after all.

And wait, where do the Optimus S, T, One, etc, fit then? These new BBs are well on top of the hardware line, just behind those dual-core monstruosities (all 3 of them).
    It is definitely a mistake for a site to blindly equate top of the range and high-end when there are so many models out there nowadays that would all merit the description of high-end and to dismiss all of them bar a few as midrange would just be too stupid.
    08-06-11 10:31 AM
    People bash the thrunderbolt, charge, etc all the time, android users will not take a single core these days. In fact, the bionic and Galaxy S II are the talk to the town, no body wants to look at anything else.
    Gadget blogs and their commenters may not want to look at anything that isn't a dual-core, but it simply isn't true for actual consumers as shown by the sales figures of models at various spec points.
    08-06-11 10:36 AM
    Gadget blogs and their commenters may not want to look at anything that isn't a dual-core, but it simply isn't true for actual consumers as shown by the sales figures of models at various spec points.
    Dual-core is the buzz word of the blogs, it's all they want to talk about.
    08-06-11 11:34 AM
    I have a second gen core i7 laptop with 8 cores. Is there any software that takes advantage of all the cores? Maybe but I don't know of any, does any OS take advantage of all 8 cores? I'm not sure either I've never looked.
    08-06-11 11:56 AM

You seem to be grossly mistaken, everyone of those phones were dinged pretty hard for having only a single core processor in a dual core age. In fact the Droid Charge was dinged hard as well, but like the Thunderbolt the only redeeming factor was LTE and as such is the main selling point. Funny enough though the Play and Arc both sold fairly poorly due to their prices against what the competition was offering.

1ghz is mid-range specs now and can even be found in pre-paid devices.

Thats not to say that the 1ghz processors are bad (they are still quite potent) but its hard to charge the same or more than the ultra high end devices.
    08-06-11 04:20 PM
    I don't know about anybody else but I think CPU power is one of those "how you use it" kind of things. The iPhone 4 has significantly less lag than any Android devices I've played with, even the dual core Atrix. I'm sure the new BBs will make effective use of the 1.2ghz CPUs because, like apple, RIM has end to end control over the hardware and software. The fragmentation within each generation comes from different form factors and screen resolutions, and somewhat different specifications - but not different underlying architecture (except in the case of CDMA vs gsm).

What I mean is that apple knows that their software will be running on a specific platform; RIM does too, and they're able, for example, to optimize the os6 code for the 9780/torch/style generation of hardware. Likewise, I'm sure the os7 codebase is heavily optimized for the architecture that sits under the late 2011 bold/torch/curve models. The same can't be said about an open source platform that's meant to compile for snapdragon CPUs, hummingbird CPUs and any number of proprietary chipsets.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-11 05:41 PM

Those phones aren't new.
    08-06-11 05:57 PM
    please, android doesnt even have a phone OS capable of harnessing a dual core CPU right now, so the hardware might be nice but it ent gonna mean alot without optimised software.
    08-06-11 06:06 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD