Hey guys, I've been using a 9000 since literally the day it came out. I upgraded the OS many times, replaced my scroll ball, fixed my snow-screen problem...but I got a t-mobile 9780 as a gift, and I'd love to get it going (still on AT&T.)

I got the unlock code from T-mobile and successfully unlocked it.

I backed up my 9000 as fully as I knew how (through the Desktop software) and plugged in the 9780, and I can't restore the contacts I backed up from my 9000. Isn't there a way to do this through their software? Am I going to have to do it manually somehow?

Also, it only seems to be on Edge...I have no problem staying on 3G here with the 9000. That's a concern as well.

Every time I reboot it, it gets a txt message that says "122 error invalid number. please resend using a valid 10 digit mobile number or valid short code. activate :dt=6

OK, I'll get back to browsing...I've been looking for a while but I'm not finding anything about this issue...hope someone can give me a hint. Thanks!!!
    Last edited by forrest280z; 08-01-11 at 08:53 PM.
    08-01-11 08:43 PM
    I'm not sure why your contacts won't restore from a 9000 backup. Try a selective backup of the 9000 with Desktop Manager next time, just choosing your contacts, and restore that to the 9780.

You will never get 3G on AT&T with a T-Mobile phone (or vice versa) as both networks use different frequencies. The best you'll ever get is EDGE.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-11 12:14 AM
    I did the opposite, a couple years ago, I bought the Bold 9000 outright but used it on T-Mobile. Everything worked perfectly... except for the lack of 3G, but just as long as you're in WiFi (a lot of places) it's alright. If you don't want to use the Desktop Manager on your computer, another option is to download BlackBerry Protect, the application from RIM that backs up your info and, once downloaded on your new device, restores all your data. It's pretty cool.
    08-02-11 01:02 AM
    Thanks guys. The reason I couldn't restore was a problem with the micro USB cable. It had a short or something. It would connect the phone for a second but disconnect. I got another one and I was able to restore my backup file.

I'm pretty disappointed to hear about the lack of 3G network access though. I didn't realize the hardware on the phone was actually different...that's the case, right? There's no software changes I can make?

I'm also unable to update the OS. I installed .600 on my machine, shrank it with BB Boss, but when I run the App Loader, it doesn't see the new install.

Not that it really matters, I guess. Not sure I will bother keeping a crippled phone...no desire to switch carriers either. Oh well.

Thanks for letting me know.
    08-02-11 01:31 AM
    Just an update - sold the T-mobile 9780, went out on a limb and bought an "unbranded" 9780 from ebay, from an AT&T customer. I was astounded that there was no bidding war. I was twice as astounded when it actually works on the 3G network. Haven't finished inspecting it yet, waiting on a friend to come over with a microUSB cable. But a test call worked fine and it is indeed connecting to 3G.

I thought this would be a highly sought after item? Are there a decent number of these floating around out there? Maybe there's not much difference in the 9700 and 9780?
    08-08-11 04:40 PM
    I thought this would be a highly sought after item?
    Not really, it's just a year old refresh of the 9700

Are there a decent number of these floating around out there ?
    Yup, plenty

Maybe there's not much difference in the 9700 and 9780?
    Double the memory, better camera, black bezel, and OS6 out of the box... that's it
    08-08-11 05:00 PM
    There's plenty that work on AT&T 3G? Where did they come from? Just curious at this point....
    The memory seems to make a difference. Thanks for the reply!
    08-08-11 05:09 PM
    There's plenty that work on AT&T 3G? Where did they come from? Just curious at this point....
    Yeah... all of them will work on AT&T with 3G, except the TMO ones.

Most of them will be either factory unbranded units, or unlocked Canadian (Rogers/Bell/Telus) devices.
    08-08-11 05:16 PM
    Hello. I have a question, I have an unbranded 9780 and using it with T-mobile at the same time I'm getting 3G, does this mean I won't get 3G with at&t even though its an unbranded 9780?
    08-11-11 11:29 AM
    Hello. I have a question, I have an unbranded 9780 and using it with T-mobile at the same time I'm getting 3G, does this mean I won't get 3G with at&t even though its an unbranded 9780?
    If you're getting 3G with TMO, then you definitely won't get 3G with AT&T. Both companies use different 3G frequencies.

TMO and other AWS carrier devices have 3G bands 1, 4 & 8. To get 3G on AT&T you'll need a device with 3G bands 1, 2, 5 & 6.

To check which 3G bands your device has, go to:- Options > Device > About Device Versions

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    rymlazaro likes this.
    08-11-11 12:01 PM
    Every time I reboot it, it gets a txt message that says "122 error invalid number. please resend using a valid 10 digit mobile number or valid short code. activate :dt=6
    I get this same error text message whenever I do a battery pull. Anyone know what causes this and how to fix it? Thanks.
    08-11-11 03:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD