Android Owners Ready To Ditch Their Phones As Soon As iPhone 5 Comes Out
    Jay Yarow | Aug. 1, 2011, 10:18 AM

Android owners have little loyalty to Android as compared to the iPhone, according to a note from Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster this morning.

Munster surveyed 216 mobile phone users in Minneapolis about smartphones. Not exactly rocket science, but a good way to get the pulse of consumers and gauge interest in Android and iOS going forward.

According to his research, 94% of iPhone owners plan on buying another iPhone, while just 47% of Android owners plan on buying another Android phone. 42% of Android owners think they're going to switch to an iPhone.

As for BlackBerry owners, just 26% expect to buy another one. 67% plan on buying an iPhone.

Munster also sees great "pent-up demand" for the newest iPhone from Verizon customers since Verizon owners have only been able to buy the iPhone 4, which was a six-month old phone when it hit the carrier's shelves. People held off on buying one since they thought a new phone was coming in a few months.

For these reasons, Munster thinks Apple's share of the U.S. smartphone market will explode when the iPhone 5 hits Verizon's shelves, which might not happen until October.

Charts and Data Tables at; [SIZE="2"]Android Owners Ready To Ditch Their Phones As Soon As iPhone 5 Comes Out
    Last edited by Buzz_Dengue; 08-01-11 at 10:40 AM.
    08-01-11 10:28 AM
    ... albeit a small sample pool...
    08-01-11 10:29 AM
    small or not, it's a pretty clear picture of what is happening in the smartphone world.
    08-01-11 10:33 AM
    It's so nice having loyalty to no OS and simply going with the phone that suits me best. Makes sensationalist stuff like this less scary.
    jonathon.94 likes this.
    08-01-11 10:39 AM
    The main reason that Android phones are beating Apple in total marketshare is because the iPhone is only available on Verizon and AT&T. Plenty of people on Sprint/Virgin Mobile, T-Mobile/Boost Mobile, US Cellular, etc. don't want to leave their networks but want excellent multimedia smartphones so they settle for Android OS phones since the iPhone isn't available on these networks (if you live in the USA). There are some great Android phones on the market (SGS2, Dinc2, Evo3D, Droid3, etc) but a lot of Android users don't have these phones, they have older and lower quality Android phones with 'outdated' operating systems and they are annoyed with issues like freezing and poor battery life.

I don't like the current iOS restrictions but I like the iPhone, it just works well. However, I am a Storm2 user that doesn't hate his phone so I am looking hard at the Torch 9850/60.
    08-01-11 10:46 AM
    216 users all in the same geographic location makes for a really poor sample IMHO.

The best results that can be drawn from it are "Iphone 5 popular purchase in Minneapolis suburb."
    MoRedStar and jonathon.94 like this.
    08-01-11 10:49 AM
    The main reason that Android phones are beating Apple in total marketshare is because the iPhone is only available on Verizon and AT&T. Plenty of people on Sprint/Virgin Mobile, T-Mobile/Boost Mobile, US Cellular, etc. don't want to leave their networks but want excellent multimedia smartphones so they settle for Android OS phones since the iPhone isn't available on these networks (if you live in the USA). There are some great Android phones on the market (SGS2, Dinc2, Evo3D, Droid3, etc) but a lot of Android users don't have these phones, they have older and lower quality Android phones with 'outdated' operating systems and they are annoyed with issues like freezing and poor battery life.
    The same was said when the iPhone was exclusive to AT&T, it's expansion to VZW didn't hinder the growth of Android in any significant manner. Both phones are insanely popular, but to say it's the main reason is inaccurate.
    08-01-11 10:53 AM
    It's so nice having loyalty to no OS and simply going with the phone that suits me best. Makes sensationalist stuff like this less scary.
    I'm sorry, but this makes waaaay too much sense. Now I have to say something completely irrational to balance it out. Hmmm. . . oscillatting fans cause cancer! Protect yourself now!
    08-01-11 10:54 AM
    Given that most smartphone buyers spend no time in forums like this and their only research is seeing what their friends use, I think it all comes doen to where they are shopping. That is the real advantage of the Apple store. If you go in there, you're not coming out with a Blackberry or an Android phone.

If you go into Bestbuy, most people listen to the recommendations of the sales help who will usually recommend the most recent up-to-date phone which means basically no BBs. There is a huge pool of people now finishing up a contract for Android phones (from Hero through Samsung Intercept/Transform) who thought they were getting an iPhone-like experience. This is a huge disgruntled demographic who will wind up in an Apple store next time around.

The stat I'd be more interested in is the breakdown of smartphone buyers who are simply going into the Apple store vs those who are going into carrier or general retail stores for their phones.
    08-01-11 11:08 AM
    When Google's stock drops, they begin to lay people off, market share dwindles, they stagnate on Android development and no one wants Android devices anymore because they deem them outdated then they should worry otherwise they aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Android is at full steam ahead and growing by leaps and bounds, thats a fact.
    psufan32 likes this.
    08-01-11 11:29 AM
    The same was said when the iPhone was exclusive to AT&T, it's expansion to VZW didn't hinder the growth of Android in any significant manner. Both phones are insanely popular, but to say it's the main reason is inaccurate.
    Excellent point.

However, I feel that if the iPhone5/4S is available on T-Mobile and Sprint on release, it will sell well IMHO. I think some of Android's marketshare comes from people that want smartphones but don't want to shell out 200 dollars plus pay premium prices for AT&Ts/Verizon's network. For example I was at Walmart the other day and I saw that you can get a Droid Incredible for less than 40 bucks and get T-Mobile's unlimited calling/messaging/2 GB data for 79.99 a month for a solo plan...you can save even more money with a family plan. Lots of people just don't want to shell out a bunch of money to buy their family iPhones (and it will cost you unless you buy a bunch of 3GSes - but you will get charged a lot for AT&T's family plans). Heck there is a reason by the Blackberry Curve sells so well (I would know, the Curve was my first smart phone).

BTW - I believe a read an article a while back that mentioned one of the higher ups from Apple commenting that he didn't want the iPhone to just be used by the rich. Sounds like Apple will one day go after the budget smartphone market (maybe by releasing a modified iPhone 3GS/4 for 99 dollars or something?). This will cause their marketshare to really skyrocket. People on T-Mobile/Sprint due for an upgrade may flock to a iPhone 4 model on their carrier that costs 100 dollars. The average Joe Smoe doesn't care about specs.
    08-01-11 11:37 AM
    When Google's stock drops, they begin to lay people off, market share dwindles, they stagnate on Android development and no one wants Android devices anymore because they deem them outdated then they should worry otherwise they aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Android is at full steam ahead and growing by leaps and bounds, thats a fact.
    True. Verizon has done an excellent job marketing its Android devices plus Samsung/HTC/Motorola have been putting out some awesome high end devices lately. Look at the SGS2, Evo3D, Photon (Sprint), Droid 3 (Verizon), Revolution (Verizon), Nexus 2, etc. Because these companies release so many devices over the course of a year, many older models are still quality devices yet can be obtained through a carrier for less than 100 dollars.

I still stand by my availability statement though. As soon as the iPhone is available on more networks here in the United States its profits will explode even more. There will be people on Sprint/T-Mobile that want the iPhone just because it is the iPhone.
    08-01-11 11:58 AM
    BTW - I believe a read an article a while back that mentioned one of the higher ups from Apple commenting that he didn't want the iPhone to just be used by the rich. Sounds like Apple will one day go after the budget smartphone market (maybe by releasing a modified iPhone 3GS/4 for 99 dollars or something?). This will cause their marketshare to really skyrocket. People on T-Mobile/Sprint due for an upgrade may flock to a iPhone 4 model on their carrier that costs 100 dollars. The average Joe Smoe doesn't care about specs.
    First of all, great posts all around in this thread.

This may not have been the article you read, but it sounds like Steve Jobs intended his products to reach the masses from the beginning.

PB: That's what critics charge you with: hooking the enthusiasts with premium prices, then turning around and lowering your prices to catch the rest of the market.

SJ: That's simply untrue. As soon as we can lower prices, we do. It's true that our computers are less expensive today than they were a few years ago, or even last year. But that's also true of the IBM PC. Our goal is to get computers out to tens of millions of people, and the cheaper we can make them, the easier it's going to be to do that. I'd love if Macintosh cost $1000.
    Steve Jobs Lays It Down For Playboy
    08-01-11 01:34 PM
    A big majority of Android usersz SETTLED for those phones. They didn't get it because it had better specs it better this or that, but because it was the next closest phone to iPhone, but didn't cost as much nor did it require switching carriers.

I know a bunch of people who had droids, galaxy, etc., but as soon as Verizon started selling iPhone they bought one.

I will bet a lot of money that if next iPhone is sold by T-Mobile and sprint Android will lose a lot of users.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-11 02:01 PM
    216 users all in the same geographic location makes for a really poor sample IMHO.
    Cut the guy some slack. He is an analyst who is trying to get a rough feeling if the new Apple product will succeed. Who cares what the actual percentage will be. I think the author said, "not exactly rocket science", meaning this was not some super scientific way to collect data. It was basically to get an eyeball on what an average American (MN suburb versus....say....conducting the poll in the Hamptons) may do when the new iPhone 5 is released.

My parents, albeit a bit older, my wife, and I all have Blackberry phones now. We have been with Blackberry for years. Probably within a few weeks of the new iPhone release, we will all be ditching the Berry and going to iPhone 5. We are in the 67% camp. We don't live in a Minneapolis suburb.

I think the funny thing here is, there are so many people that can't accept the fact that Apple is dominating in the smartphone arena. People even trying to justify, "hey it is only in a MN suburb" or some such argument. The fact is with this new release Android and RIM are going to lose even more market share. It might not be 67% for RIM, as this data suggests, but it is going to be huge, I can tell you that.

The 9900 is not enough to stop the Apple onslaught. This is very sad because I really do love RIM and appreciate all they produced over the years. The product is so stale though. The 9900 should have been released years ago. They should have been the ones to give us Facetime, HDMI out, etc. I should be using my phone as a way to watch movies through Netflix with HDMI out on my TV. I should be using my BB to give a PP presentation to a group of investors. RIM should have brought us all this. They failed.

The Apple app store is huge (larger than Androids), they did this on one phone design per year (not like the 50 pieces of Android junk that come out monthly or even the multitude of BBs that pop up annually). Apple also did it (for the most part) on one network in the US. That network became rich because of the iPhone.

Now that they have two networks signed up, will allow the end user to buy a phone without having to sync up to iTunes, sell an unlocked version in the US, and are releasing iPhone 5 with iOS5, the large amount of pent-up demand should only add to Apple's huge cash surplus. There is a reason they are the most valuable company in the world and have the most cash on hand. It isn't because they are selling junk. They have so much cash that, of their seven major competitors (LG, Samsung, Nokia, RIM, Motorola, HTC, and Sony/Ericsson), they could nearly purchase all but Samsung for cash!

I am a fan of Blackberry but in reality we all have to use what is best for us. For many, the time is coming to switch to iPhone (apparently 2/3 of BB users according to the article). Just doing a general survey of the people I know and am friends with that still have BB, I would say Apple is going to cleanup the last few scraps of people who aren't super loyal to their OS with this new phone release. I do hope RIM can turn it around, though. QNX sounds good but might as well be decades away in technology years.

Keep praying for RIM, because they need to hit a homerun soon.

As for Android, it is junk. The only reason they sell is because, "Hey I wanna an iPhone but my network doesn't carry it, so I will settle for Android."
    Buzz_Dengue and jonathon.94 like this.
    08-01-11 02:42 PM

Despite the "downed economy" (LOL) there are plenty of people that have money/debt issues that use the iphone.
    08-01-11 03:16 PM
    Bah iphone smiphone, I don't care about iphone. They could give me one and I'd give it to someone else.
    08-01-11 03:22 PM
    The reason Android is so popular is because Google allows anybody to use their OS, and as someone mentioned prior, I'd imagine a lot of current Android users settled for their phone because an iPhone wasn't an option. Essentially, if you want an iPhone, you have three choices - 3GS on AT&T or the iPhone 4 on AT&T or Verizon (of course this is in America, although I assume it's a similar scenario in other countries). However, if you want an Android, you have numerous choices on every major carrier and even a lot of local carriers.
    08-01-11 03:34 PM
    I think a lot of you are underestimating android. So some of you are saying that every smartphone is irrelevant other than the apple iPhone? 48% of the world marketshre belongs to android now. If android is really junk than Verizon would push the iPhone harder than its android phones like they are doing with blackberry at the moment.

darreno1 likes this.
    08-01-11 04:08 PM
    The only time I will take this bullsh#t seriously is if they ask every single android user.

darreno1 likes this.
    08-02-11 12:21 AM
    This article reminds me of the bogus one posted on TechCrunch about how 40% of Android devices are returned.
    darreno1 likes this.
    08-02-11 01:25 AM
    I liked my iPhone 4. Only way I could use it was being Jailbroken. I couldn't stand the restrictions on the phone. Was a little too boring. Could never use it as stock.
    08-02-11 08:15 AM
    The iPhone has a great following. It isn't going to go away anytime soon.

I know when it was time for me to upgrade from my Tour, the iPhone wasn't even on my list of choices. The platform restrictions (things like no Flash support) keep iOS devices from being what I need.

The thing about the survey was someone looking for numbers that benefit the iPhone. It is very easy to skew survey results just by the type of questions you ask.
    08-02-11 09:48 AM
    The iPhone has a great following. It isn't going to go away anytime soon.

I know when it was time for me to upgrade from my Tour, the iPhone wasn't even on my list of choices. The platform restrictions (things like no Flash support) keep iOS devices from being what I need.

The thing about the survey was someone looking for numbers that benefit the iPhone. It is very easy to skew survey results just by the type of questions you ask.
    1) The iPhone isn't going to go away. You are right. It is only going to grow more dominant.

2) Flash is history. Adobe lost. Apple won. iOS made sure of it and will continue to press it into obsolence with more iOS devices released every year and bought everyday. In a few years the clumsy, clunky, bloated Flash player won't be around. Just yesterday they admitted they lost on their Twitter account (Twitter) by introducing the new "Edge". What is Edge you ask? HTML5.

3) I agree with your comment re: the survey. The fact of the matter is, it might be skewed but it is painting a trend. The trend is not going toward RIM and Android that is for sure. It is kinda sad because competition creates innovation. RIM didn't have any competition of serious nature for a while and they kept giving us BB users the same old BB with slightly upgraded specs. I seriously believe if it weren't for the iPhone we would all be sitting around thinking about how great it is to finally have a color screen and maybe a nice camera (a bit of exaggeration, but you get the point)! HAHAHAHA!

The good thing is that Apple doesn't sit around. That is why their stock is $400. They innovate and are the leader. The rest are trying to catch up. I have been an Apple fan and purchasing Apple computers since 1987.

With as much hate/bashing/whatever toward Apple products on this site, I am surprised people don't sit back and think what that company has done and give them respect. The iPad is the reason you RIM fans have your Playbook. The iPhone is the reason the 9900 has touchscreen and a 1.2 (or whatever) GHz processor. I think RIM planned to put a 6XX MHz processor in it until they found out that people want speed. The iPhone is the reason your BB even does have of the stuff it does (app world, etc.). Recently I even saw where RIM was going to try and copy Apple TV. If RIM keeps doing this it is toast. They need to create something instead of copy stuff and when I mean create, I don't mean release an upgraded 9000 and take away the menu scrolling and call it OS7. Android is also copying Apple, but it is more "open" so people like that for some reason. Personally I don't mind the "closed" approach, but I am not a fan of iTunes.

In the end, I hope RIM can turn it around because I am still a fan and owe a lot to RIM.
    Buzz_Dengue likes this.
    08-02-11 10:17 AM
    With as much hate/bashing/whatever toward Apple products on this site, I am surprised people don't sit back and think what that company has done and give them respect. The iPad is the reason you RIM fans have your Playbook. The iPhone is the reason the 9900 has touchscreen and a 1.2 (or whatever) GHz processor. I think RIM planned to put a 6XX MHz processor in it until they found out that people want speed. The iPhone is the reason your BB even does have of the stuff it does (app world, etc.). Recently I even saw where RIM was going to try and copy Apple TV. If RIM keeps doing this it is toast. They need to create something instead of copy stuff and when I mean create, I don't mean release an upgraded 9000 and take away the menu scrolling and call it OS7. Android is also copying Apple, but it is more "open" so people like that for some reason. Personally I don't mind the "closed" approach, but I am not a fan of iTunes.

In the end, I hope RIM can turn it around because I am still a fan and owe a lot to RIM.
    I agree with most of your post, except this. If there's one thing Apple is best at, it's making people believe that they are innovators and they were the first to use certain features. Touch screen? Not the first to use these. Tablets? Not the first. App store? Not the first. What they do is they take features, refine them a bit, and advertise that they were the innovators.

I really took issue with their "Can your phone do that?" ad campaign. Back then I was using a simple Sidekick, and I was able to answer "Yes, yes it can" to most of the features they showcased in their ad campaigns (like using voice and data at the same time, for example). And now the lame "If you don't have an iPhone, you don't have an iPhone" campaign. Again, all of the stuff they advertise, the Android platform (among others) has been able to do for months.

And Android a copy of Apple? Hardly. Apple has copied the entire notification system on the iPhone 5 from Android. The iPhone 4 brought watered down "multitasking" that Android, BB, WebOS, etc have had for years.
    08-02-11 10:49 AM
78 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD