I am hearing allot of different things, and quite frankly, I can't tell if it's a glass screen with the plastic bezel fully covering the edges, or if this is as others have said a Palm Pre- type plastic screen. Rubbing a key against it will tell you right away. Glass will not scratch from light key rubbing or change, plastic will. Plus you should be able to tell by touching it. So come one 9850/9860 users something definitive please.
    07-27-11 04:33 PM
    I'm as curious as you are 1magine.

Please don't keep up in the dark.

BTW: Our Storm2 has a glass screen, right? I can't tell and not about to use a key to find out..

Good Luck
    07-27-11 09:53 PM
    Yes, the Storm series used glass. Managed to crack my 9530 screen with a hard blow to it. Never a scratch on either my 9530 or 9550 though. Both bought on launch day.
    07-27-11 10:22 PM
    plastic means cheap.go with the glass.
    centsofreason and mustangv8 like this.
    07-27-11 10:26 PM
    According to True Supplier, the replacement parts are all glass.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    centsofreason likes this.
    07-28-11 04:48 AM
    I am hearing allot of different things, and quite frankly, I can't tell if it's a glass screen with the plastic bezel fully covering the edges, or if this is as others have said a Palm Pre- type plastic screen. Rubbing a key against it will tell you right away. Glass will not scratch from light key rubbing or change, plastic will. Plus you should be able to tell by touching it. So come one 9850/9860 users something definitive please.
    You are going to worry yourself to death!
    07-28-11 05:24 AM
    Just curious. Before I pre-order a device sight unseen. I'd like to know if a key element of that device is high quality materials or not. Anyone who has had a BB with a plastic screen knows that unless a screen and body protector (skin)is applied immediately, within 3 months the screen is a mess and difficult to view. If I knew it was plastic, I'd wait till ZAGG or another company put out its skin prior to preordering.
    07-28-11 10:21 AM
    Just curious. Before I pre-order a device sight unseen. I'd like to know if a key element of that device is high quality materials or not. Anyone who has had a BB with a plastic screen knows that unless a screen and body protector (skin)is applied immediately, within 3 months the screen is a mess and difficult to view. If I knew it was plastic, I'd wait till ZAGG or another company put out its skin prior to preordering.
    I and many others have used Blackberrys for years with the plastic screen and not had the unprotected screen turn into a "mess and difficult to view". Sounds like car keys and phone where in the same pocket.
    07-28-11 10:28 AM
    Exactly. But I've done the same with my S1 and S2 and never a scratch. In Fact my S2 looks as good as it did as the day I got it. My earlier models, especially the blue ones (you know what I'm talking about) were pretty bad. The hardware quality of the S2 was really a cut above anything RIM had done before. Though far from perfect, its a solid device. Don't know if you've ever used or seen a Palm Pre up close. Its a plastic screen and it just wears poorly.
    07-28-11 10:33 AM
    Will this stop you from buying the phone?
    07-28-11 11:20 AM
    I personally would wait until a Zagg or some other skin is available before I purchased. But my firm, like many others have basically said no to BBs with plastic screens. The 8700g was the last one they allowed. While plastic is more durable, it does tend to wear poorly, and associates were asking for replacements frequently.
    danimalchil likes this.
    07-28-11 11:26 AM
    Another poster in another thread is reporting the screen as plastic. As I said in that post; plastic is for children's toys, not for the screens of high end devices. I am still hoping this is not true. Even in my wildest rants about the stupidity of RIM management and absence of valuable consumer research, I would never imagine RIM would decide to make a large capacitive touch screen device with a plastic screen. To save what $2.00 per device? Honestly, without word from RIM - I need to see this myself. It simply can't be.
    07-28-11 09:00 PM
    Gorilla glass is the norm now. You can find plastic screen in nokia c3, not in smartphones costing 400$+

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk
    07-28-11 09:02 PM
    RIM is truely mistaken if they went from a Storm 1/2 having glass to a plastic screen on the 9850. Unless the plastic is scratch resistant and is just as durable as the glass I say I will pass and look to the 9930 for sure now.
    07-28-11 09:26 PM
    Problem is, RIM needs a large capacitive touch screen device. They need it to be successful. BB fans like the physical keyboard, don't mind the tiny screen and many carry a second personal device for media. Consumers need an alternative to IP5, for 2+ years its only been Android. No ffc, 200 megs of aplication memory, no LTE and now a plastic screen? It would be a white flag. Don't think for a second that the haters will focus on anything but this device.
    Cynn likes this.
    07-28-11 09:33 PM
    Gorilla glass is the norm now. You can find plastic screen in nokia c3, not in smartphones costing 400$+

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk
    In what dimension is Gorilla glass the norm?!

07-28-11 09:34 PM
    Well scratch proof glass is somewhat of a norm for smartphones. The fact that the s1/2 had it and they don't anymore is disappointing. Regardless, I hear its a great device. It looks great too. So ill check it out.

07-28-11 10:28 PM
    Greg or Dawg should chime in here. They both have the device in their hand. It should be easy to tell if the screen is plastic or glass without taking a sharp object to it to try to scratch it.
    07-28-11 10:38 PM
    Yes, the Storm series used glass.
    Well that's is what I thought but really couldn't tell. Looks like glass but when I tap on it, it sounds like plastic.

So my eyesight and hearing are going bad.

Tks
    Good Luck
    07-28-11 10:48 PM
    I look at both my 9860 and 9900 screens and they are too flat or optically perfect in their reflections to be a plastic. I can press hard in the center of my 9860 and the reflections do not distort. Also the weight of the device tells me if it IS plastic, it is more dense than glass.

I agree with DawgMan that there is nothing you can do to convince "others".
    Last edited by BigBadWulf; 07-29-11 at 08:36 AM. Reason: troll baiting
    07-29-11 05:18 AM
    Ie plastic screens are bad, glass screens are good and it effects the long term usability and value of a device. And if the scren situation was reversed where iphone had plastic and 9860 was glass you would be the first to agree

07-29-11 07:42 AM
    Enough!

No one is going to scratch their screen to find out. Personally, I'd rather have a high quality acrylic screen, that would cost more than glass, and not end up like so many iphones do.

Simple solution, purchase some universal screen protectors till someone makes a fitted one.
    07-29-11 08:28 AM
    I highly doubt RIM would make a cheap screen. Greg has said it feels good, smooth. tough and clear. Isn't that enough? Who cares what it's made out of when it satisfies all these?

07-30-11 08:08 AM
    I highly doubt RIM would make a cheap screen. Greg has said it feels good, smooth. tough and clear. Isn't that enough? Who cares what it's made out of when it satisfies all these?

Agreed, who cares what is made of as long as the end result is quality feel and durability.
    07-30-11 08:57 AM
    I can agree with that. I don't care about the material as long as it's durable and scratch resistant.

My only concern is if it is more like the plastics of old Tours/Curves vs. the higher quality Storm/Torch screens.

My Storm 2 screen is in perfect condition, without a scratch since I purchased it nearly 2 years ago. I've even kept it caseless. I can't say the same for some of the Curves/Tours I've seen from my friends.

However, if they use a more durable plastic that does not scratch and feels good, I'm all for it.
    07-30-11 05:14 PM
87 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD