So I looked all over Netflix and basically came to find out that customer service has to be called at 1-866-716-0414. I called them up, talked to a nice lady and asked if they had an ETA for Playbook. She said they didn't support any Blackberry devices. So I then asked her if there was a way to put in requests and she said that she could do it then and forward to product group. I don't know if this will do any good, but it couldn't hurt. So if you want streaming Netflix on your Playbook, call Netflix and let them know! You may want to go into your account settings on Netflix, click on Contact Us, then click on Call Customer Service so that you get a 6 digit code that should tie your call to your account. If you are configured to auto login to your account just click on Netflix - Unlimited TV Shows & Movies Online
    07-27-11 03:03 PM
    Called Netflix....here's how it went ....Mitch asks - "Will Netflix work on a BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK ?" CSR answers " a what ? ". Mitch sez "a PlayBook". CSR sez " who makes that ? ". Mitch sez "RIM - RESEARCH IN MOTION." CSR sez " "WHO?". Mitch hangs up. I tried.
    pri79269, OnTopic and axllebeer like this.
    07-27-11 03:36 PM
    I called to and they said: "In summer"
    07-27-11 03:40 PM
    Ok I called again and was told that they are working on platforms/apps for EVERY major tablet (makes sense) and that yes they will have a PLAYBOOK app sometime in the near future. Well at least she knew what a Playbook was...it's a start.
    07-27-11 03:52 PM
    Called Netflix....here's how it went ....Mitch asks - "Will Netflix work on a BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK ?" CSR answers " a what ? ". Mitch sez "a PlayBook". CSR sez " who makes that ? ". Mitch sez "RIM - RESEARCH IN MOTION." CSR sez " "WHO?". Mitch hangs up. I tried.
    Haha.
    That's not exactly great customer service...
    M.Rizk and axllebeer like this.
    07-27-11 05:00 PM

maybe proper english would have helped..... SAYS me
    07-27-11 05:04 PM
    Mine went similar. I told the girl "It's Blackberry's version of the iPad".... She responded "Oh, OK." then I got her to push a request up. Didn't hang up and stuck with it.
    07-27-11 06:28 PM
    i called. heres the useful info: i asked her about netflix on the PB. she said theyre working on it 'NOW' for the android tablets. i said its not android, it's a blackberry tablet. she said hold on, let her check, she went quiet for a sec as i heard keys being tapped. then she said: "we dont have the app for the playbook right now. i'll put in 'ANOTHER' request." i'll take that as confirmation from her that people, at least us few, ARE asking and that netflix at least KNOWS SOME people want a netflix app for the PB.

i say: **** an APP, give us silverlight in an OS update and let us go STRAIGHT TO NETFLIX.COM. dig?
    walnuts1024 and OnTopic like this.
    07-27-11 06:28 PM
    I called. Beatrice answered. She was very kind. She mentioned they had been working "very hard" on an application for my "Android-powered BlackBerry PlayBook." I responded that it wasn't an Android device but that it ran RIMs new QNX-based tablet OS. She responded that she was aware of this, but that an Android application for my PlayBook was on the way. She transfered me to a brief, 1 question satisfaction survey, but I did not stay on the line.

Not sure what to make of that.
    07-27-11 06:46 PM
    I called. Beatrice answered. She was very kind. She mentioned they had been working "very hard" on an application for my "Android-powered BlackBerry PlayBook." I responded that it wasn't an Android device but that it ran RIMs new QNX-based tablet OS. She responded that she was aware of this, but that an Android application for my PlayBook was on the way. She transfered me to a brief, 1 question satisfaction survey, but I did not stay on the line.

Not sure what to make of that.
    Looks like they will rely in the Android Version via the player. I dont blame them, why re invent the wheel.

I fear for Qnx. Playbook, a well made Android Tablet with Bridge.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-11 06:59 PM
    maybe proper english would have helped..... SAYS me
    So I'm going to assume sarcasm Fubaz. Otherwise, a spelling/grammar lesson from y o u ....I don't think so.

Sez Me.

But I digress. When I called back with a second attempt I did speak to new CSR that was more acutely 'tuned in' and more knowledgeable in general. She advised that a Playbook solution was indeed forthcoming.
    Last edited by mfreedmn_97; 07-27-11 at 07:37 PM.
    07-27-11 07:26 PM
    I just called up Netflix and spoke with customer service rep Matt and he politely responded by confirming the obvious of how the Blackberry platform isn't supported at this time but he will submit a request to the development team for consideration. Hopefully they will develop an app for the Playbook.
    07-27-11 07:37 PM
    i called. heres the useful info: i asked her about netflix on the PB. she said theyre working on it 'NOW' for the android tablets.....
    You do realize Netflix is fully functional on some Android tabs now, right? I've been using on my GT 10.1 since last week.

Personally, I don't want Netflix via Android Player on my Playbooks, I WANT A STAND ALONE APP!
    M.Rizk likes this.
    07-27-11 08:36 PM
    You do realize Netflix is fully functional on some Android tabs now, right? I've been using on my GT 10.1 since last week.

Personally, I don't want Netflix via Android Player on my Playbooks, I WANT A STAND ALONE APP!
    yes, i know, 'some'(is the keyword).
    07-27-11 08:56 PM
    Looks like they will rely in the Android Version via the player. I dont blame them, why re invent the wheel.
    I fear for Qnx. Playbook, a well made Android Tablet with Bridge.
    I personally don't think the honey on the phone knew what the **** they were talking about. They would be wise to release a standalone application for the PlayBook if they wanted to do anything for us. They couldn't secure Android and had to do goofy things to lock down the app (so I hear). With QNX receiving the FIPS cert. it doesn't look like that would be a factor for the PlayBook! Who knows what RIM will make developers modify inorder to be placed in AppWorld. I highly highly doubt we will be able to do anything like we're currently doing with the leak via sideloading and the likes. RIM won't ever let the PlayBook be seen in the light you suggest there.

You do realize Netflix is fully functional on some Android tabs now, right? I've been using on my GT 10.1 since last week. Personally, I don't want Netflix via Android Player on my Playbooks, I WANT A STAND ALONE APP!
    I don't want an Android tablet thanks. I realize they do a lot of things my PlayBook cannot at the moment; so it goes. We all may have to settle for what we can get right now. If eventually its using the Android version through the Android Player then so be it. If it works, I'm game. Read above though... From what little I know, it sounds like the Android version was a headache to secure. If we get anything, I bet it will be a native app.

*edit***
    You can find information about this on Netflix's own blog here: http://blog.netflix.com/2010/11/netflix-on-android.html
    Last edited by d5115r; 07-27-11 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Added link to Netflix blog.
    07-27-11 09:04 PM
    I called.

CSR: Thank you for calling Netflix how may I assist?

ME: I would like to cancel. (Verified who I was)

CSR: Okay, was there a reason?

ME: Yes, too expensive.

CSR: Okay all done have a great day.
    07-27-11 09:05 PM
    I called.
    CSR: Thank you for calling Netflix how may I assist?
    ME: I would like to cancel. (Verified who I was)
    CSR: Okay, was there a reason?
    ME: Yes, too expensive.
    CSR: Okay all done have a great day.
    Haha! I love that they don't really care that people are upset over the new pricing scheme. They're deadset on it! Saw today they said they expect to lose up to 2.5 million out of 25 million users total. Wow.
    07-27-11 09:21 PM
    I called shortly after I got the PB in April and the CSR guy went into this long meandering speech about the upcoming Android app and how the PlayBook hadn't sold very many (it was ~2 weeks old) and started sounding skeptical, then he caught himself and realized I wanted info, not his personal opinion and said they currently weren't but they might in the future. Not sure if it ever got to the point of a ticket, but I'll give it another shot.

On a side note, how is it that a company as big as Netflix ONLY has phone support? No email or chat or Contact Us form? You would think they would be one company that would embrace the power of the web...
    07-27-11 09:32 PM
    I personally don't think the honey on the phone knew what the **** they were talking about. They would be wise to release a standalone application for the PlayBook if they wanted to do anything for us. They couldn't secure Android and had to do goofy things to lock down the app (so I hear). With QNX receiving the FIPS cert. it doesn't look like that would be a factor for the PlayBook! Who knows what RIM will make developers modify inorder to be placed in AppWorld. I highly highly doubt we will be able to do anything like we're currently doing with the leak via sideloading and the likes. RIM won't ever let the PlayBook be seen in the light you suggest there.

I don't want an Android tablet thanks. I realize they do a lot of things my PlayBook cannot at the moment; so it goes. We all may have to settle for what we can get right now. If eventually its using the Android version through the Android Player then so be it. If it works, I'm game. Read above though... From what little I know, it sounds like the Android version was a headache to secure. If we get anything, I bet it will be a native app.

*edit***
    You can find information about this on Netflix's own blog here: http://blog.netflix.com/2010/11/netflix-on-android.html
    I clicked on your link and LOLed for like 2 minutes at the first 3 comments... IDK why but I did...Especially after I looked at the avatar...
    07-27-11 09:38 PM
    i called. heres the useful info: i asked her about netflix on the PB. she said theyre working on it 'NOW' for the android tablets. i said its not android, it's a blackberry tablet. she said hold on, let her check, she went quiet for a sec as i heard keys being tapped. then she said: "we dont have the app for the playbook right now. i'll put in 'ANOTHER' request." i'll take that as confirmation from her that people, at least us few, ARE asking and that netflix at least KNOWS SOME people want a netflix app for the PB.

i say: **** an APP, give us silverlight in an OS update and let us go STRAIGHT TO NETFLIX.COM. dig?
    I agree forget the netflix app. add silverlight and who needs the app.
    07-27-11 10:31 PM

On a side note, how is it that a company as big as Netflix ONLY has phone support? No email or chat or Contact Us form? You would think they would be one company that would embrace the power of the web...
    They used to have email support also, however they felt they could provide better customer service strictly with phone support and dropped the email support. Generally from what I've read from others that have used it is that it was an improvement in service.
    07-27-11 10:43 PM
    So I looked all over Netflix and basically came to find out that customer service has to be called at 1-866-716-0414. I called them up, talked to a nice lady and asked if they had an ETA for Playbook. She said they didn't support any Blackberry devices. So I then asked her if there was a way to put in requests and she said that she could do it then and forward to product group. I don't know if this will do any good, but it couldn't hurt. So if you want streaming Netflix on your Playbook, call Netflix and let them know! You may want to go into your account settings on Netflix, click on Contact Us, then click on Call Customer Service so that you get a 6 digit code that should tie your call to your account. If you are configured to auto login to your account just click on Netflix - Unlimited TV Shows & Movies Online
    You do realize that Netflix itself wouldn't code the app, and that it would be up to RIM to do so? Netflix itself isn't the holdup per se, once Netflix certifies that the Playbook has strong enough DRM to meet its contracts with its rightsholders then Netflix will give the go ahead. Microsoft may also have to certify Silverlight for the Playbook, but I don't think that will be as big of a deal as jumping the Netflix legal hurdles.
    07-27-11 10:55 PM
    They used to have email support also, however they felt they could provide better customer service strictly with phone support and dropped the email support. Generally from what I've read from others that have used it is that it was an improvement in service.
    Personally, I always dig around for support numbers. I absolutely hate HATE email support and waiting 3-5 minutes between each time a canned phrase is sent to me over some terrible "support-via-im" web application.

You do realize that Netflix itself wouldn't code the app, and that it would be up to RIM to do so? Netflix itself isn't the holdup per se, once Netflix certifies that the Playbook has strong enough DRM to meet its contracts with its rightsholders then Netflix will give the go ahead. Microsoft may also have to certify Silverlight for the Playbook, but I don't think that will be as big of a deal as jumping the Netflix legal hurdles.
    You do realize that they are supposedly passing along our requests and interest to the "product development team," and regardless of whether or not they're writing a single line of code (something I don't know if they do or don't do!) it would be up to them to approach RIM in the scenario you propose, right? Why would they if they didn't think there was an interested user-base?
    Last edited by d5115r; 07-27-11 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Added reply to SharpieFiend so as not to double post! :)
    07-27-11 10:56 PM
    You do realize phoning some customer service rep who is probably out-sourced in India probably won't do much good either.
    07-28-11 01:49 AM
    You do realize phoning some customer service rep who is probably out-sourced in India probably won't do much good either.
    I can't speak for everyone else, but the woman I spoke with was certainly not in India. Netflix phone support is fantastic. This isn't anything close to calling into Dell or other notorious "support-outsourcers."
    07-28-11 07:21 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD