I have an iPad which is starting to die. I usually use it for Internet browsing and streaming movies on Netflix. I bought a Playbook, but no streaming! No Netflix and no Hulu. Very, very disappointing.

Any news on Netflix or Hulu streaming?
    07-27-11 10:45 AM
    Not that I have heard and yes it is very annoying!

RIM is not moving fast enough.
    07-27-11 11:02 AM
    my guess is someone will get it working on android player before native to the PB. i have both on my transformer and thunderbolt. its convenient for sure.
    07-27-11 11:10 AM
    not worth asking anymore! just hope the android player works. If not, happy waiting.
    07-27-11 11:38 AM
    Not that I have heard and yes it is very annoying!

RIM is not moving fast enough.
    Is it RIM that's not moving fast enough, or is it Netflix that is being slow in developing an app for the PB? I find it kind of hard to believe that RIM would be holding them back somehow, but please correct me if I'm wrong!

I can't comment on Hulu though, as I'm not familiar with it.
    07-27-11 12:07 PM
    Well, RIM held back Shape Services with regards to IM+, so there are no guarantees that RIM isn't having an impact on Hulu and Netflix app development. Now, whether or not RIM intentionally held back Shape Services is a topic for another argument.
    07-27-11 12:10 PM
    Why not try other things like Amazon or even YouTube movies? instead of crying for netflix/Hulu etc ?

Why don't you make best use of what PB can instead of just being disappointed with high expectations.

sorry If you do not agree with me anyways.
    07-27-11 12:28 PM
    Anyone can make their own netflix app --- just like RIM making their own facebook app. 99% of the work is in the DRM --- which RIM's Certicom subsidiary is responsible for (they did the XM Satellite Radio DRM).

Certicom Digital Rights Management (DRM)

Certicom has been super busy --- doing the FIPS certification for the Playbook --- that's their priority number 1.

So with the Playbook just got FIPS certification last week, RIM can free up Certicom engineers to work on the DRM.
    07-27-11 12:28 PM
    For some reason, Netflix seems to take forever to come to devices. I know all the Android tablets don't have it yet. Personally I don't see it coming to the PlayBook until its on all android tablets.
    07-27-11 12:32 PM
    I'm guessing you'll see Netflix after the Player is released. They'll repack the Andorid version and be done with it.
    07-27-11 12:42 PM
    Actually, it's much easier to implement netflix in the Playbook than in Android tablets.

Go and read the TI's press release on their Android Netflix app --- they have to license a second OS to run the Microsoft-supplied DRM, through hardware virtualization.

But RIM has certain priorities on their engineering resources --- which meant that the Certicom engineers were working on FIPS certifcation for the Playbook instead of working on the DRM.
    07-27-11 12:43 PM
    I'm guessing you'll see Netflix after the Player is released. They'll repack the Andorid version and be done with it.
    No, you won't.

Go and read TI's press release --- it's all about Trustzone/M-Shield. Watch this youtube video (the first couple of minutes) on how it had to jump in and out of android OS into a second secured OS for mobile payment demo --- TI's android netflix app works the same way.

All the hardcore DRM stuff --- operates in the second OS, not in android.
    07-27-11 12:48 PM
    Might have quite a few developers waiting for RIM's NDK since with that it'll be easier to code more complex applications. Being stuck using AIR for everything atm isn't great. And that might be what, if anything, netflix and others are waiting for. Might not have the right DRM they want in AIR.
    07-27-11 01:33 PM
    apples is in talks to buy hulu to link with its home tv media service, so doubt that will be coming to rim seeing they are launching competing services.
    07-27-11 01:48 PM
    Hulu worked and had workarounds when they started blocking it, but I think they plugged all the holes. That's just Hulu being dicks, wanting to force you to use and app, but not providing one! Netflix requires MS Silverlight to work, and the Playbook doesn't support that yet either.
    07-27-11 02:04 PM
    it wont need silverlight if they make an app. just like the other platforms out there
    07-27-11 02:11 PM
    It's not silverlight that matters, it's the Microsoft DRM built within silverlight that matters.
    07-27-11 02:58 PM
    Might have quite a few developers waiting for RIM's NDK since with that it'll be easier to code more complex applications. Being stuck using AIR for everything atm isn't great. And that might be what, if anything, netflix and others are waiting for. Might not have the right DRM they want in AIR.
    If you are netflix or hulu --- you can get NDK directly from RIM in close alpha.
    07-27-11 03:00 PM
    Tanks for the reminder to stay positive, I've had good luck with Amazon--no problems.

Why not try other things like Amazon or even YouTube movies? instead of crying for netflix/Hulu etc ?

Why don't you make best use of what PB can instead of just being disappointed with high expectations.

sorry If you do not agree with me anyways.
    07-28-11 07:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD