I was with Bell for many years and my latest Torch 9800 was rocking on their HSPA network pretty much anywhere in Canada without major problems (used it as modem using tether and my laptop Internet internet experience was really good). Everywhere except at my cottage out of town where I would get 1 bar almost dead-slow data rates and occasionally was able to make a call . I kept bugging them about this and they said because it is so low density rural area it is very unlikely they will do something about this (even though it is in the middle of their HSPA coverage map). One tech I talked to told me it costs close to 1MM to put up a new tower and/or couple hundred thousand to put a booster and it is very unlikely they will do that for area which has less than 500 houses/cottages so i should stop bugging them.

Anyhow, I sold my contract to someone else (Btw - i never realized it is so easy to get out of the contract --- you simply negotiate decent plan and then put an ad on kijiji and find someone to transfer the responsibility to them and done)... and ended up getting a Rogers plan (I unlocked my 9800 and since Bell and Rogers use the same frequency it was a breeze - just had to pay $10 for new Rogers sim card). I am getting off topic though...

Now I am on Rogers but I am finding their HSPA coverage waaaaay worse around toronto, especially where I work downtown toronto. In my office (30th floor) it always drops to EDGE or SOS (!) and when I am in the PATH in most areas (especially on the west end of the PATH it goes all the way down to GSM)....

I have not been to the cottage yet to see how it works there (i am hoping it will be good ;-) but not having consistent quality HSPA in the area where i work is a concern.

Is this the case (i.e. rogers not having decent coverage downtown) ?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-11 09:24 AM
    and remember, rogers best coverage is in downtown toronto.

i dont know how they stay in business to be honest, i ditched them so fast in St. Catharines due to network quality.
    07-27-11 09:37 AM
    My coverage with Rogers Downtown is good, I almost always have full reception.

This includes:
    - 5th floor near Yonge and College
    - B1 Underground parking (I only get one or two bars on B2)
    - Driving up and down Yonge, Bay, Church, or Jarvis
    07-27-11 09:40 AM
    double-post
    Last edited by savystudios; 07-27-11 at 09:41 AM. Reason: double-post
    07-27-11 09:41 AM
    was this recent? i noticed a drop in reception.. ive been with rogers for the last 7 years and i called to complain..

take this with a grain of salt, but 4 tech reps told me that they are doing upgrades/maintenance and take out towers in an around an area one at a time.. so ur signal that is coming from towers that are close to u might be down..

i moved into a new condo in the west end of toronto and the reception was HORRIBLE when i first moved in.. i;m on the PH floor and after 3 months of being there i finally get 3G coverage in my house all the time.. so maybe the techs were right..

but i think no matter what carrier your with somewhere in the city it won't work as well... my friend has telus and she can't get reception in certain parts of the city when we hang out.. but i do and vice versa
    07-28-11 09:37 AM
    It will also depend on the building you're in. When I'm downtown, I'm at King and Bay and the reception in my building is pretty poor. Battery life takes a dive on those days. Bah.
    08-03-11 08:16 PM
    My coverage in most of downtown is pretty solid, the only time I experience the 3G going down to 1 or 2 bars is in some buildings but usually after a few seconds it goes back to 4 or full bars.
    08-05-11 07:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD