we will be deploying 50 playbooks in the company very soon. The stock is apparently not the newest out of the factory so we a bit worried that we will have to manually update 50 playbooks over WiFi. I have played with desktop manager, but we seem to have to enter the BlackBerry ID either way and then the updates on a few test playbooks end up happening via WiFi anyway.

Is there a way we can update 50 playbooks to the newest OS, without having to enter the BlackBerry ID or getting the update over WiFi (and effectively sucking our internet connection dry).
    07-25-11 02:30 AM
    Sorry, dont have multiple PB's to test. Mine has always required a wi-fi connection to update.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-25-11 04:44 AM
    When you first start a playbook, the first thing it tells you is that you have to have a wifi connection. The playbook then downloads the latest software before going through the setup process.
    07-25-11 05:39 AM
    When you first start a playbook, the first thing it tells you is that you have to have a wifi connection. The playbook then downloads the latest software before going through the setup process.
    That's the problem, we need to update 50 playbooks before they can go to our workforce, but we need to update without WiFi.

We were hoping to also somehow side-load a standard application before deployment but we have given up on that idea.
    07-25-11 05:42 AM
    If you haven't already purchased them I would try getting them directly from RIM with the latest OS installed.
    07-25-11 06:12 AM
    That's the problem, we need to update 50 playbooks before they can go to our workforce, but we need to update without WiFi.

We were hoping to also somehow side-load a standard application before deployment but we have given up on that idea.
    1) Load em all up in your car and head to Starbucks.
    2) Get 5 out at a time and start updating
    3) Sip coffee and eat cupcakes all day

Sounds like a win win.
    PsyCorps and nycspaces. like this.
    07-25-11 06:14 AM
    1) Load em all up in your car and head to Starbucks.
    2) Get 5 out at a time and start updating
    3) Sip coffee and eat cupcakes all day

Sounds like a win win.
    Then head over to Weight Watchers
    07-25-11 06:24 AM
    Then head over to Weight Watchers
    hehe, I wish actually. Afraid to say the devices all have already been purchased, so I already know they are out of date.
    07-25-11 06:40 AM
    That's the beautiful thing about being IT, having to think of ways to accomplish what seems to be tedious. Tell your manager they require WiFI to setup, get a PO for a wireless router, hook it up in your office and go to town on the updates. Should not take more than a day to download all the updates to the PBs. Management would already have invested a major chunk of change in the devices and this would be considered a required expense.

Would be nice to be able to download the OS to a local server though. Like MS does with service packs.
    07-25-11 07:06 AM
    Check if there's a way to download the latest OS on your computer and use DM to install it on each device with no need for wireless download each time.
    07-25-11 07:09 AM
    Check if there's a way to download the latest OS on your computer and use DM to install it on each device with no need for wireless download each time.
    That's what I'm asking how to do? Ive looked around but cant find a way.
    07-25-11 07:12 AM
    we will be deploying 50 playbooks in the company very soon. The stock is apparently not the newest out of the factory so we a bit worried that we will have to manually update 50 playbooks over WiFi. I have played with desktop manager, but we seem to have to enter the BlackBerry ID either way and then the updates on a few test playbooks end up happening via WiFi anyway.

Is there a way we can update 50 playbooks to the newest OS, without having to enter the BlackBerry ID or getting the update over WiFi (and effectively sucking our internet connection dry).
    i suggest you ask rim's sell manager to help u get the latest os.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-25-11 07:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD