I went for a swim with my 10 month old 9700. It is now an expensive door stop. I would like to wait till some of the new models come out before I get another BB. But .........I need the phone numbers that were on it that have been backed up on BB desktop software. How am I able to do this with out my BB ? Any info would be appreciated . Thx
    07-21-11 11:36 AM
    You can mine the actual backup file by opening it up in notebook. In there will be a section containing all of the names and numbers.
    petrpuck likes this.
    07-21-11 11:53 AM
    Thank you rgorman It is an ipd. file extension. My laptop is not able to read it. Where can I get software to open this file ?
    07-21-11 12:11 PM
    Just launch notepad manually and tell it in the file-open dialog to open the ipd file, it will assume that you are telling it that it is a text file. It will not be pretty to sort threw the file, but the numbers will be in that mess.

CS
    petrpuck likes this.
    07-21-11 01:10 PM
    Another option is ABC Amber BlackBerry Editor.
    It will open and format the information correctly.

ABC Amber BlackBerry Editor - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com
    07-21-11 01:14 PM
    Now that is good info!

CS
    petrpuck likes this.
    07-21-11 02:08 PM
    Now THAT is a time saver!!! I would use the "FIND" command to locate a particular contact and search that area. That looks like a slightly better solution...
    07-21-11 02:48 PM
    I tried both ways. CanuckSoldier you're right it is kind of messy .
    Reed McLay, I downloaded from the link provided but can't seem to make it work. I will keep trying.
    07-21-11 04:38 PM
    Downloading and installing software can be a challenge, once you get that part done, the rest is easy.

Locate your backup file by checking in Desktop Manger Options. You can also search for files with IPD extension and browse too them from the app.
    07-21-11 05:27 PM
    Downloading and installing software can be a challenge, once you get that part done, the rest is easy.

Locate your backup file by checking in Desktop Manger Options. You can also search for files with IPD extension and browse too them from the app.
    Can you give me step by step instructions, or point me in the right direction, I cant seem to make this work. TIA
    07-22-11 07:43 AM
    Can you give me step by step instructions, or point me in the right direction, I cant seem to make this work. TIA
    Part of the problem is, Microsoft has made changes to the procedure with each Windows revision. The instruction that apply to Windows XP are different the those for Windows Vista, and different again for Windows 7 and all of them have the option of non-default security settings.

In general, click on the Download Now link in the Gray button.

You will be offered the choice of Save or Run. Click on Run and the download will begin.
    After it has finished, you should be presented with an Install Dialogue box and perhaps a Yellow warning bar near the top of the window to Accept the Download.

If you need help getting to this stage, consider bringing in a friend with more PC experience to help out.
    07-22-11 10:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD