1. Yesterday, the update to the Playbook 1.0.7.2650 causes multiple applications that were purchased by clients using the App World, PLUS it causes the BlackBerry Bridge to completely stop working on most devices.

2. Today, the update for the 9800 Torch to version: 6.0.0.600 installs an older version of BlackBerry Messenger then the latest that is available from App World, causing the user to have to update Messenger after.

What is going on at RIM?
    07-20-11 01:46 PM
    They pulled the OS upgrade after seeing the issue and OOOOOOO you have to upgrade BBM.... should i cry too because i beta test BBM6 and need to upgrade after i upgrade or change OS? no
    07-20-11 01:47 PM
    Sorry fubaz, no tears here, although I'm a little concerned with patching my BES server now.

It's a issue that needs to be addressed, yes the BBM upgrade is rather minor, but the Playbook one is HUGE. The last update for it caused the Bridge to become unusable, the whole reason for having it.

Both of these are massive mistakes from the patching department and THAT needs to be addressed. Having your stock take a massive nose dive, plus putting out obviously flawed patches is not the way to recovery. Which concerns me, since this is the technology I'm selling to my bosses.

CousinIT likes this.
    07-20-11 01:55 PM
    Your Carrier not Rim released that version of OS for your Torch, they could've taken months to aprove that OS, in the meantime Rim has been upgrading BBM.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-11 02:34 PM
    FWIW, the .600 for the 9800 is the same as the latest leak for the said device. BBM would be current as of that build but still outdated none the less. As for the playbook, kind of hard to keep recommending it when the patches break it. I used to be a die hard BB defender, but as of late, I find it more and more difficult.

Wonder how many bugs are in the 6.1 OS on the up and coming 99XX devices and the such.
    07-20-11 02:43 PM
    1. Yesterday, the update to the Playbook 1.0.7.2650 causes multiple applications that were purchased by clients using the App World, PLUS it causes the BlackBerry Bridge to completely stop working on most devices.
    I updated yesterday and did not have a single issue with my PB nor with my bridge.
    07-20-11 03:20 PM
    2. Today, the update for the 9800 Torch to version: 6.0.0.600 installs an older version of BlackBerry Messenger then the latest that is available from App World, causing the user to have to update Messenger after.

What is going on at RIM?
    As just noted, the .600 build for the Torch has been around for quite some time. It's just taking a while for the various carriers to approve them and release them. It was first leaked a month ago (June 21), and the files are dated early June.

If an app was recently updated, and a build of the OS was put together around the same time, it's likely that the OS team won't get the new app version before it goes out. This also happens quite a lot and not at all unusual to those of us who try out a lot of different OS builds - leaked and official.

And remember, carrier "xyz" releasing build .600 today is releasing the same OS that carrier "abc" released with their .600 build a few weeks earlier and is the same as the leaked .600 from a month ago.

Just update the programs. It's not all that difficult.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by joeldf; 07-20-11 at 03:24 PM.
    07-20-11 03:21 PM

What is going on at RIM?
    You had to do what? No way, really? they made you update bb messenger, that is ridiculous.
    Who do they think they are making YOU update bbm AFTER you installed a update of your OS.
    The world has gone crazy...I am in awe
    sk8er_tor and Jake Storm like this.
    07-20-11 03:55 PM
    They did, and they publicly admitted it and had an update out to resolve it the next day. now how long did aple and google take to roll out a patch for the whole data location story? hmmm, perspective please people.
    asherwiin, avaio and rjshahan like this.
    07-20-11 08:57 PM
    I updated yesterday and did not have a single issue with my PB nor with my bridge.
    Same here - not a single prob .. whiners must whine .. its nature
    sk8er_tor and avaio like this.
    07-20-11 09:47 PM
    No issues whatsoever here with upgrade. I do have issue with all those people who complain about something they bought, which they did not research as to what it had and what it will become. just do us all a favor, sell your PB, buy another tablet, go whine on another forum. Honestly people, we do not need or want you filling up a forum with complaints which have no positive bearing whatsoever.
    tprime likes this.
    07-21-11 05:08 AM
    Thats what happens when your working on 12 new mobile devices and a tablet all at once!!
    07-21-11 05:10 AM
    this updates only goes to less than 500,000 playbook - out of that, 300 or 400k actually sold. maybe rim doesn't take it too seriously anyway.
    when android does updates, it went to at least 20 million devices
    when apple does updates, it went to at least 20 million devices
    so both apple and android will be dead serious on updates. any wrong patches, any remedial job is a big mess.
    07-21-11 05:16 AM
    Same here - not a single prob .. whiners must whine .. its nature

I'm glad that the latest patch (if you actually got it) didn't effect your PB.

Mine it did, it broke at least two apps that I have paid for, and the BlackBerry Bridge is now unuseable.

If I took my car into the dealership for an oil change and got it back with no tires and a broken engine, I would think that this is pretty valid reason to complain.

I am impressed with how quickly they pulled the patch back, but it doesn't fix my PB. Plain and simple the update shouldn't have been released in the state that it was in.
    Last edited by ckretmsage; 07-21-11 at 08:43 AM.
    07-21-11 08:40 AM
    we're in beta testing stage now - so rim can do whatever they want.
    updater#1 : hey lets try this, see what happened...

( #$@& loud screaming outside - chaos spread on earth)

updater# 2 : aw shucksss mate!!! ...fuxed up!!! pull it off!! give them the other one!!!

updater#1 : now pass me the beer..
    07-21-11 08:46 AM
    Your apps - if third party - isnt RIMs fault - developers need to update.

As for bridge - youre doing something wrong .. delete it off your phone - DL newest version .. re-pair device
    07-21-11 08:47 AM
    developers are waiting for NDK or SDK or something from rim. we've seen issues where applications taking a very long time for approval etc. with this environment, and 500k devices on the market, naturally developers stay away or play wait and see.
    07-21-11 08:56 AM
    OP is new and I'm no expert but I learned that you have to be patient and actually wait for reviews when it comes to RIM and their Upgrades.
    07-21-11 09:11 AM
    this updates only goes to less than 500,000 playbook - out of that, 300 or 400k actually sold. maybe rim doesn't take it too seriously anyway.
    when android does updates, it went to at least 20 million devices
    when apple does updates, it went to at least 20 million devices
    so both apple and android will be dead serious on updates. any wrong patches, any remedial job is a big mess.
    i have a tmobile 7 inch galaxy tab. In 7 months zero updates to OS. Gingerbread has not been released by Tmobile for Tab yet....

How is that for prespective. Since April PB has like 5 updates (i think i lost count)
    07-21-11 09:19 AM
    i have a tmobile 7 inch galaxy tab. In 7 months zero updates to OS. Gingerbread has not been released by Tmobile for Tab yet....

How is that for prespective. Since April PB has like 5 updates (i think i lost count)
    do you get your satisfaction using the galaxy tab? how is it compared to pb, value for money wise?
    07-21-11 09:24 AM
    I was super happy with the first 1.07 update. Everything was working perfect even my bridge. I like the new features, the pinch to zoom for the movie player lets you adjust all your movies to fit the screen, even if they are not optimum size. That is brilliant. I also like the airplane mode feature. The best thing that I liked was the browser was silky smooth and the best so far for no hanging pages and super fast. I was all set and ready for an upcoming two week island getaway with my family. I have 500 pdf trading books loaded up and all work great, 25 HD movies for my family and some games from app world. I am not bringing my pocket wifi, so I will use the free wifi at the hotel.

I was really happy, then I got the second 1.07 update and all was well, until I went to use the browser. It hangs on every page and is so incredibly slow. I could have gone month or two, on the first 1.07 update, but this one came and now it makes me want to jump out the f'n window. Just once and for all I hope RIM just takes care of business. We never signed on to be beta testers and we all paid. They called us customers back in the days, now we are turned into whiny consumers.

I know putting a man on the moon is childs play, compaired to what RIM is trying to do, but it seems, meaningless and unprofessional to put two updates a day appart. We should be able to as customers to be able to go back to an existing OS, if the one we download causes us problems. I have a feeling I will be stuck with this dog of a browser for the next month, while RIM works on other things. From the start, I knew it was going to be like this, but RIM led me to believe that buy the summer things will be going well. I have no doubt in my mind that RIM will pull this tablet together eventually, but it has been frustrating.

On the plus side, there have been many great improvements since launch and I trust that they are working so hard to get things done. I have no regrets about buying the playbook and it is still the best tablet on the market. If I had to do it all over again, I would still buy the playbook, but I will definitely hold off on future updates as soon as I get one like I had yesterday.
    Last edited by Schlymer; 07-21-11 at 10:14 AM.
    07-21-11 10:09 AM
    New patch is out for PB. 1.0.7.2670.

Updating now, will post results.
    07-21-11 10:33 AM
    Your apps - if third party - isnt RIMs fault - developers need to update.

As for bridge - youre doing something wrong .. delete it off your phone - DL newest version .. re-pair device

I was not doing something wrong. The patch was pulled because it broke the bridge on some of the devices, not all.

Hence the new patch.
    07-21-11 10:36 AM
    Patch fixed my Bridge issues.

That is fantastic. I am very impressed by response speed.

2 Apps are still broken, hopefully software developers will fix it soon.
    07-21-11 10:52 AM
    I was super happy with the first 1.07 update. Everything was working perfect even my bridge. I like the new features, the pinch to zoom for the movie player lets you adjust all your movies to fit the screen, even if they are not optimum size. That is brilliant. I also like the airplane mode feature. The best thing that I liked was the browser was silky smooth and the best so far for no hanging pages and super fast. I was all set and ready for an upcoming two week island getaway with my family. I have 500 pdf trading books loaded up and all work great, 25 HD movies for my family and some games from app world. I am not bringing my pocket wifi, so I will use the free wifi at the hotel.

I was really happy, then I got the second 1.07 update and all was well, until I went to use the browser. It hangs on every page and is so incredibly slow. I could have gone month or two, on the first 1.07 update, but this one came and now it makes me want to jump out the f'n window. Just once and for all I hope RIM just takes care of business. We never signed on to be beta testers and we all paid. They called us customers back in the days, now we are turned into whiny consumers.

I know putting a man on the moon is childs play, compaired to what RIM is trying to do, but it seems, meaningless and unprofessional to put two updates a day appart. We should be able to as customers to be able to go back to an existing OS, if the one we download causes us problems. I have a feeling I will be stuck with this dog of a browser for the next month, while RIM works on other things. From the start, I knew it was going to be like this, but RIM led me to believe that buy the summer things will be going well. I have no doubt in my mind that RIM will pull this tablet together eventually, but it has been frustrating.

On the plus side, there have been many great improvements since launch and I trust that they are working so hard to get things done. I have no regrets about buying the playbook and it is still the best tablet on the market. If I had to do it all over again, I would still buy the playbook, but I will definitely hold off on future updates as soon as I get one like I had yesterday.
    Update: To be fair and not sound like a ranting loony, I did a hard restart of the playbook, deleted my pocket wifi profile and my home wifi profile and reset them, to make sure that that the previously saved profiles were not the problem with the hanging web pages. After I did this I noticed my home wifi was working silky smooth like with the first updated version of the 1.07 OS, then tested my pocket wifi, which I found to be the problem. Coincidentaly the same thing was happening. I did some speed tests to confirm and can fault my service provider for the slowdown. My pocket wifi, which is usually running at 30Mbps was crawling at 2Mbps, for a 12 hour period.

Today, when I checked my carrier must have finished the work they must have been doing and all is well. Sorry for adding to the negativity, but I would like to admit I was wrong about the last update. Things are much better all around with the 1.07 updates and I saw in an earlier post that the playbook just passed the government rated FIPS certification. This is a huge milestone for RIM, which will mean the playbook is about to join a new realm.
    07-22-11 02:03 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD