Hey Guys,

I found this article:Blackberry Torch 2 (9810) Prototype Reveals it's AT&T Bound | TechnoBuffalo

Thought it was a bit interesting...

For those who don't want to click on the link here is the article.

The BlackBerry Torch 2 is coming to AT&T. Our brand new prototype is revealing all kinds of new secrets.

That may not come as a giant surprise seeing as the original is still a Ma Bell exclusive. What is strange, however, is that RIM still has yet to even acknowledge that the Torch 2 (9810) even exists, despite our hands on, and it just clearing FCC tests.

Back in May we were fortunate enough to get some hands on time with a very early Torch 2 prototype. That version was running BlackBerry OS 7.0.0.100 which seemed extremely unstable and was devoid of any carrier branding or software. Almost two months later we have another Torch 2 prototype, but this one feels very close to production ready, running a never before seen BlackBerry OS 7.0.0.123 with AT&T splashed all over it. In our tests (we’ve had the device for 48 hours) the OS feels extremely stable, and we wouldn’t be surprised if this is the shipping ROM. Tucked into this .123 version of RIM’s 7th OS are all kinds of AT&T goodies, including AT&T AppCenter, AT&T Maps +Nav, , AT&T Code Scanner, and a host of other branded applications.

Now that we’ve answered the question of if the Torch 2 is coming to AT&T, let’s turn to the more important question, when is it coming? It seems extremely odd that RIM didn’t even mention this guys existence at BlackBerry World 2011, especially when it was so close to production ready. Our sources do tell us that RIM is finally getting ready to own up to the 9810, and prepare it for a late August release as an AT&T exclusive in North America. Thus far, the phone has proven to be a tremendous upgrade over the original 9800, but more testing is still needed.

Over the next week, stay tuned to TechnoBuffalo as the 9810 spills more secrets.
    P.S- There are pictures on the actual link...
    07-18-11 01:46 PM
    it would be disappointing if it was a at&t only device (ie. rogers/bell/telus doesnt get it till a month later)
    07-18-11 01:57 PM
    it would be disappointing if it was a at&t only device (ie. rogers/bell/telus doesnt get it till a month later)
    That's what I was thinking.
    07-18-11 02:01 PM
    Hey guys, this is Jon from Technobuffalo. We don't have an Canadian carrier information yet, but can confirm it will be an AT7T exclusive in the US. Feel free to ask me whatever questions you like. Lots more coming out this week, including a head to head against the 9800.
    anon(3896606), sf49ers and aha like this.
    07-18-11 02:51 PM
    Hey guys, this is Jon from Technobuffalo. We don't have an Canadian carrier information yet, but can confirm it will be an AT7T exclusive in the US. Feel free to ask me whatever questions you like. Lots more coming out this week, including a head to head against the 9800.
    Thanks Jon, didn't know you had a Crackberry account and I can't wait to see the head to head.
    07-18-11 02:57 PM
    I actually just set it when I saw this thread! Let me know if you have any questions about the device, or if there is something you want to see us post.
    07-18-11 03:06 PM
    I actually just set it when I saw this thread! Let me know if you have any questions about the device, or if there is something you want to see us post.
    The only question I can think of right now is: Does App-World/BBM have any significant changes in the look or any new features?
    07-18-11 03:12 PM
    That's the info I'm most interested in. I'm trying to decide if it might be worthwhile to pay full retail to upgrade. I don't find a lot of fault with the 9800, other than the occassional spinning clock. Hard to justify the expense unless the 9810 brings something new.
    07-18-11 03:31 PM
    Does it have nfc and or hotspot?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-11 03:46 PM
    No hotspot, and I haven't been able to test NFC yet, but I'm assuming it does not. BBM and App world look identical to OS 6.
    07-18-11 04:10 PM
    No hotspot, and I haven't been able to test NFC yet, but I'm assuming it does not. BBM and App world look identical to OS 6.
    I hope they do in a future update...
    07-18-11 04:36 PM
    Also, no H+, it's straight 3G.
    07-18-11 05:06 PM
    Also, no H+, it's straight 3G.
    What that's not that good at all.
    Some phones are supporting 4G and RIM still only has 3G...
    H+ would have been nice...
    Last edited by r0v3rT3N; 07-19-11 at 06:41 AM.
    07-18-11 05:14 PM
    No H+, No hot spot, 200 megs of space after OS install, no FFC. Going to be a tough sell for allot of people to spend $200+ and lock in for 2 years.
    07-18-11 05:25 PM
    How is the browser over 3G? Speed wise vs. Apple/Android. That might save a few BB devotees from wandering.
    07-18-11 05:27 PM
    Actually it won't ship with .123. at&t is currently testing .181.

Also it IS H+...

PG
    07-18-11 05:37 PM
    My main gripes, which I'll talk about more on technobuffalo are:
    1. Google Sync. I rely on Google Calendars, and m.google.com/sync tells me there isn't a support app. So if anyone has another way to sync w/ gCal, I'd appreciate it.
    2. No Social feeds app. I loved that on my 9780, and can't find a download link anywhere.
    07-18-11 05:50 PM

Also it IS H+...

PG
    Interesting. It feels polished, but could certainly use a bit more time in the oven. Hopefully the .181 update does the trick!
    07-18-11 05:52 PM
    1. Google Sync. I rely on Google Calendars, and m.google.com/sync tells me there isn't a support app. So if anyone has another way to sync w/ gCal, I'd appreciate it.
    2. No Social feeds app. I loved that on my 9780, and can't find a download link anywhere.
    I have the social feeds app on my test 9810. It should be there in the final release.

I don't use Google Calendars so I haven't tested it but let me see if I can play with it.

PG
    07-18-11 05:53 PM

Also it IS H+...

PG
    Indeed it's H+ but won't be advertised on the home screen as 4G or anything like that.
    07-18-11 05:56 PM
    To my knowledge, BIS 3.2 supports Google Calendar Sync. I actually use it and it works quite well on my Storm 9550.

BIS 4.0 is said to be coming around the launch of the upcoming BB7 handsets and is rumored to have even further improvements on these services.

Love the site by the way! Very thorough reviews.
    07-18-11 06:27 PM
    Interesting. It feels polished, but could certainly use a bit more time in the oven. Hopefully the .181 update does the trick!
    BIS 3.2 supports Google Sync and there is no reason why OS 7 will not support it
    07-18-11 07:25 PM
    I�ve given up on Google Sync app because it doesn't seem to be supported by Google anymore (not a surprise ...). Blackberry's native support for gmail is good enough for me. And if you use only one calendar in Google calendar, it is good enough too. I used to use 3 google calendars, had to reduce it to one to fit in BB system.

BTW, love your youtube channel.
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    07-18-11 11:18 PM
    This is great news as my upgrade opportunities come up in July and August.

07-19-11 06:04 AM
    CX, PG or TB... How is the slider and keyboard?

07-19-11 06:06 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD