So what is REALLY going on that app developers can't work with RIMM/Balackberry to issue a Spotify App?

RIMM already has a relationship with 7digital so it isn't only about a bias against music apps.

Why can't RIMM play well with others and make people who own Blackberry hardware not feel left behind?

.... ....
    07-14-11 04:03 PM
    "A version for Research in Motion's BlackBerry smartphones is in development"
    Spotify - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by Fubaz; 07-14-11 at 04:30 PM.
    Buzz_Dengue likes this.
    07-14-11 04:06 PM
    Thanks Fubaz... October 2009 reference to Blackberry/Spotify app... so two years later and Spotify rolls out in the US and still no app. Typical RIMM/Blackberry development at glacial speed.
    07-14-11 04:26 PM
    If you have problems with it, there are many other platforms that can suite your needs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-11 04:27 PM
    The "other platforms" WILL suit my needs, as soon as I can financially jettison my Storm2 and flee from all that is Blackberry...
    07-14-11 04:33 PM
    Right, it's RIM that's BLOCKING Spotify from being on BlackBerry. I suppose that's why RIM "allows" Slacker Radio Premium, which does exactly the same on-demand streaming as Spotify.
    Buzz_Dengue likes this.
    07-14-11 07:50 PM
    There is always Pandora and iHeart Radio, but it sounds like you have made up your mind. Enjoy your other platform.

Buzz_Dengue likes this.
    07-14-11 09:14 PM
    Actually it's a shame there isn't a BB version, shocking really. BB is big enough in europe to almost require this. However there are enough alternatives out there doing largely the same thing as others have listed above.
    Buzz_Dengue likes this.
    07-15-11 09:12 AM
    I don't think they could block Spotify. I use grooveshark now. You can just install their app from their website. Rim does not block such installs, unlike Apple.

Rim and Spotify also teamed up to present a concert in France in the past, so I don't think they don't want to coorporate. Im not sure what is going on. Maybe they are not satisfied with the perfomance of their app on current BBs. Maybe they have very very little developement capacity and iOs, Nokia, Android and webOS is eating it all up (why the heck is their webOS app .. pff). Later this year, Windows Mobile 7 app will be published (so they say ...).
    07-16-11 04:59 AM
    You know what Enrico, I'll bet it will be optimized to work on Os7. Gives us BB enthusiasts yet another reason to upgrade. At this point why not, as a developer create apps for the new Os7. Besides I believe the new Os will be easier to build for.

07-17-11 05:11 PM
    07-19-11 12:55 AM
    Right, it's RIM that's BLOCKING Spotify from being on BlackBerry. I suppose that's why RIM "allows" Slacker Radio Premium, which does exactly the same on-demand streaming as Spotify.
    ... OK, so I gave up on getting a Spotify app for my BBStorm2...

Next I am trying to get the 'HeyTell' app for my BB,
    ... guess what?!?!

Maybe I answered my own question... across the wire this morning...

Excerpted from "The Ottawa Business Journal"...
    RIM Losing Local App Developers
    Published on July 20, 2011
    Elizabeth Howell

..."Many local developers are frustrated with RIM, notably with the way apps are made through its platform.
    “Working with RIM is good. They offer a big client base … but that being said, there has been a level of complacency,” says Adam McNamara, the co-founder of Select Start Studios. It specializes in mobile design work across platforms ranging from Apple to BlackBerry to Android.

“One of the biggest challenges is that the developer tools are very far behind most of the other platforms, especially Apple. I think this is something they’ve acknowledged; there’s a big deficiency there.”

Likewise, Purple Forge’s Brian Hurley rhymed off a list of problems: the need to develop different versions for different BlackBerry models, the extra lines of code needed to deal with BlackBerry’s security requirements, and the long response time developers get when asking RIM for help."...

" www-dot-obj-dot-ca/Technology/2011-07-20/article-2666348/RIM-losing-local-app-developers/1 "
    Last edited by Buzz_Dengue; 07-21-11 at 11:49 AM.
    07-20-11 02:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD