07-12-11 07:49 AM
    Pretty cool article, glad to see they are working on this along with the os7 phones. I was worried they had only been putting their efforts on the fall releases.
    07-12-11 09:57 AM
    Its been out but hey, I liked reading it again.. Bring it!
    07-12-11 10:00 AM
    You do realize the story came out a month ago?

Text for those that haven't read it.

Carlo Chiarello, RIM�s business unit VP of GSM/UMTS, recently spoke about their progress for putting the PlayBook�s QNX-based operating system into smartphones. This is something RIM has admitted as an eventuality, but anything more specific beyond that has been hard to come by. Apparently here are already prototypes running the OS, which Chiarello says �look marvellous�, and though he was coy about a launch window, he did say that we can expect an all-touch form factor in a handset running at their upper tier. We already know that RIM�s QNX phones will be pretty high-end, since execs have said they�re waiting on dual-core processors before making the switch.
    Timing will be a big factor; RIM�s doing the damnedest to get these phones out as quickly as possible, but we�re hearing that there are still problems getting these things out the door, and will not likely have anything new (other than the Bold 9900) for the back-to-school season. Android and iOS hardware has been outpacing BlackBerry for a long time now, but this switch to dual-core processors and a brand new operating system will mark the beginning of a big push to catch up. Whether app developers are willing go along for the ride is another story altogether, but once the dust settles and all of the functions from the old BlackBerry OS are plugged in the new QNX one, we may see a new and reinvigorated BlackBerry ecosystem. Here�s hoping, anyway.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-11 10:24 AM
    For some reason, I have a feeling it is photoshoped ?
    07-12-11 01:08 PM
    For some reason, I have a feeling it is photoshoped ?
    It definitely is. It looks like a Storm, which means either a: it is photoshopped, or b: that's a new, upcoming Storm.

In case b, that wouldn't make sense because that's an awful idea to continue the Storm line without major re-designs, therefore the only option is a photoshopped screen because I highly doubt QNX will run on Storm BBs and if it did, I doubt they'd be the testing devices.
    w.mshati likes this.
    07-12-11 03:28 PM
    lol its a storm 2 with a screen shot from the PB.
    07-12-11 05:09 PM
    Image from the page.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-11 06:22 PM
    Not sure it's a PB screenshot as I don't have a "Social" tab on mine.
    07-12-11 07:21 PM
    Not sure it's a PB screenshot as I don't have a "Social" tab on mine.
    So true. even the browser icon or camera are different on the playbook. However i still think its not a legit image.
    07-12-11 08:59 PM
    Not even photo-chopped. Pretty sure that's an artistic rendering.
    07-12-11 09:07 PM
    yes its completely rendered, i just mean the shopped a storm 2 with a mock up of the PB OS with additions they think will be on the phone, like OS6 and OS7.

I think they will shake more up for the QNX PHONE OS though.
    07-12-11 09:51 PM
    I can confirm wholeheartedly that it's an "artistic rendering". Used it originally for my post at DevCon when RIM VPs confirmed smartphones would be making the switch.

RIM VP Confirms PlayBook QNX OS Will Replace BlackBerry OS
    07-13-11 10:11 AM
    is it the same language the ICON computers in Ontario High Schools in the mid to late 80s used? Lemme see if my parents still have my highschool computer science notes in their basement...
    07-14-11 01:15 PM
    my contacts at qualcomm has seen the prototype all he was willing to say though was 'think playbook but smaller (handset sized)'.....
    07-17-11 10:51 PM
    wow. My contact inside my head said the same thing. His name? Logic.
    07-17-11 11:09 PM
    I doubt I'd be able to read the diminutive text in the chat window depicted in that screen shot. Looks like a PS job. unrealistic.
    07-18-11 09:42 AM
    wow. My contact inside my head said the same thing. His name? Logic.
    my point was the hardware doesnt / wont look like a current bb phone as images have dictated... no need to be a _blank about it...
    07-18-11 02:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD