The browser can't load big pages because of ram? I had a droid 1, rooted with CyanogenMod 7 and could run full fledged flash-based websites without any problems. From what I can tell they both have 256mb of ram. The droid 1 is a year older.

Basically I couldn't afford a phone and a family member got this 9300 free and pays roughly $35 a month for it or something. I used to have a motorola Q that coulda knocked this thing out.

Like I said from what I can tell the droid 1 has similar specs to the 9300, and granted I could overclock my processor to 1.2ghz but I believe it's still the same amount of ram, and I never once had a problem with browsing the internet in any type of form.

I honestly don't think this phone's even worth free. Are there any worthwhile apps for blackberry at all? Do they not show up in my phone's app store but only in the more powerful blackberries?

What I really like is how I had to pay for a third party app to have the LED flash so I'd know I had a missed phone call. How can blackberry users accept things like that? What's up with having to wait for that little clock to spin in the middle before I can control my phone? Why do I have to reboot after uninstalling apps? Why can't I fully shut down my phone or reboot without a third party app or uninstalling an app? If this were ten years ago maybe I'd understand but, I mean, wow.

I could go on and on but I don't want to bash blackberries for paragraphs on end comparing every feature to phones I had 1-8 years older that still performed better in every single way. I want to know how people can pick this phone up, and not just want to put it back down immediately. I truly do not get how 10+ years in the making how the blackberry OS can be this bad.

Can you root blackberries? Are there custom roms? Can I overclock? Is there a way to actually browse the internet? Are there any apps?

I just don't get it. I got the G1 when it first came out, and even android 1.5 outperformed blackberry os6.

Please help me not hate this phone. If there's no way to improve it, I might just tell my family member it's not worth the $35 and see if they can just get it taken off and I'd just stick with a tracfone. I'd like to avoid that though, so again if there's really any reasons to use a blackberry please share them with me.
    07-10-11 06:23 PM
    go back to droid
    dont buy an entry level device and expect big things

do your research before your purchase.

it may be blunt but its the truth
    07-10-11 06:45 PM
    go back to droid
    dont buy an entry level device and expect big things

do your research before your purchase.

it may be blunt but its the truth
    Can I get a reply from someone who actually read my post now please? Haha
    07-10-11 06:50 PM
    Can I get a reply from someone who actually read my post now please? Haha
    i did read your post

all you did was degrade your phone and ask like 20 questions that could be answered by forum searches.
    Last edited by Fubaz; 07-10-11 at 07:07 PM.
    southlander likes this.
    07-10-11 07:00 PM
    OMG. The rest is not worth answering but for sure you cannot overclock a BB. No need to really that I have ever seen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-11 07:05 PM
    Is this really all I'm going to get from this forum?

07-10-11 07:07 PM
    Best advice, go back to Droid.

If you don't like the phone, don't use it. I'm sure someone would be willing to trade you a RAZR for it, since that's all you seem to think it's worth. Browse away....
    07-10-11 07:08 PM
    Is this really the average bb userbase?
    07-10-11 07:10 PM
    To be a bit more detailed, you odn't have to pay for a 3rd party app for a missed call LED. Just if you want to change it from the default red.

There's no way to root a BlackBerry. After all, government officials rely on the security.

You can customize the OS through installing a hybrid. There are boatloads of info on the process here.

Browsing isn't great, I agree. But I don't rely on my phone to browse regularly.

BlackBerry is the best fit for me, and I have gotten very accustomed to all of the wonderful features I have taken the time to discover for myself. It sounds like you had a similar experience with Droid. Best thing is to be patient and get used to it....it is a totally different experience after all.
    07-10-11 07:11 PM
    To be a bit more detailed, you odn't have to pay for a 3rd party app for a missed call LED. Just if you want to change it from the default red.

There's no way to root a BlackBerry. After all, government officials rely on the security.

You can customize the OS through installing a hybrid. There are boatloads of info on the process here.

Browsing isn't great, I agree. But I don't rely on my phone to browse regularly.

BlackBerry is the best fit for me, and I have gotten very accustomed to all of the wonderful features I have taken the time to discover for myself. It sounds like you had a similar experience with Droid. Best thing is to be patient and get used to it....it is a totally different experience after all.
    Your blackberry's led stays lit after a missed call until you respond? Why's the MissingLight app designed for this problem? It's not just for changing the led color. I'm not the only one with this problem either.
    07-10-11 07:14 PM
    Sounds more like it's to advanced for you if you can't even out how to do simple stuff. Don't worry, there's always iOS.
    Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    Fubaz and Redbird1 like this.
    07-10-11 07:16 PM
    When you buy a low end device all you can expect is low end performance. The Curve 3G is a basic BlackBerry, nothing fancy it does exactly what it was designed to do and it does well. If the Curve 3G is such a formidable opponent that it completely stumps you to the point of waisting valuable thread space than perhaps a Jitterbug would be a better device for you.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900; yeah...that's correct a Bold 9900.

07-10-11 07:37 PM
    So.. From reading the first few seconds of your rant,

You think that because an Android phone with 256 mb of ram should be the same as a BlackBerry with 256 mb?

Hm...
    Android phones have GPUs in most cases. I don't believe BBs do..
    Not the entry level 9300.

Sorry. Come to a BB fansite and bash RIM. You can't expect good answers.
    Read the rest now.
    1. We know how to use our phones so we don't have to deal with it.
    2. We don't have the issue unless we are doing something wrong.
    3. Because you do. Java. Build a Better OS that keeps security if you want.
    4. Because you don't know that alt, right-shift and delete shortcut.

Second set.

1. No.
    2. No.. Kinda. Hybrids. Not nearly as extensive as Androids though.
    3. I use Opera Mini when I can't. Or Bolt.
    4. You say you reboot when you install an app but you can't figure out if it has apps..?

Look up "how to use your new BlackBerry efficiently"
    It might help you.

07-10-11 07:44 PM
    I'd suggest that you stay with Android, since you clearly found it better for your needs.

If you do keep the Curve, you can try the Opera Mini browser. I've found it faster than the native browser. It has never given me "page too large" errors.

I'm responding here using my BlackBerry, but I'm using the HTML forums in Opera Mini.
    07-10-11 07:45 PM
    I don't want to bash blackberries for paragraphs on end
    You just did.....
    Fubaz likes this.
    07-10-11 07:55 PM
    The browser can't load big pages because of ram? I had a droid 1, rooted with CyanogenMod 7 and could run full fledged flash-based websites without any problems. From what I can tell they both have 256mb of ram. The droid 1 is a year older.

Basically I couldn't afford a phone and a family member got this 9300 free and pays roughly $35 a month for it or something. I used to have a motorola Q that coulda knocked this thing out.

Like I said from what I can tell the droid 1 has similar specs to the 9300, and granted I could overclock my processor to 1.2ghz but I believe it's still the same amount of ram, and I never once had a problem with browsing the internet in any type of form.

I honestly don't think this phone's even worth free. Are there any worthwhile apps for blackberry at all? Do they not show up in my phone's app store but only in the more powerful blackberries?

What I really like is how I had to pay for a third party app to have the LED flash so I'd know I had a missed phone call. How can blackberry users accept things like that? What's up with having to wait for that little clock to spin in the middle before I can control my phone? Why do I have to reboot after uninstalling apps? Why can't I fully shut down my phone or reboot without a third party app or uninstalling an app? If this were ten years ago maybe I'd understand but, I mean, wow.

I could go on and on but I don't want to bash blackberries for paragraphs on end comparing every feature to phones I had 1-8 years older that still performed better in every single way. I want to know how people can pick this phone up, and not just want to put it back down immediately. I truly do not get how 10+ years in the making how the blackberry OS can be this bad.

Can you root blackberries? Are there custom roms? Can I overclock? Is there a way to actually browse the internet? Are there any apps?

I just don't get it. I got the G1 when it first came out, and even android 1.5 outperformed blackberry os6.

Please help me not hate this phone. If there's no way to improve it, I might just tell my family member it's not worth the $35 and see if they can just get it taken off and I'd just stick with a tracfone. I'd like to avoid that though, so again if there's really any reasons to use a blackberry please share them with me.
    You need to spend time here:

Tips, How To & FAQ - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Edit - Oy you A-Teamers give me a headache
    rrrebo likes this.
    07-10-11 08:03 PM
    Can I get an Amen?

You just did.....
    Fubaz likes this.
    07-10-11 08:04 PM
    [color=#000066
    Guys, knock it off already. [/color]
    I was rather helpful.

Only a little sarcasm in mine. .

07-10-11 08:09 PM

edit - oy you a-teamers give me a headache [/color][/b]
    oh wulf........
    07-10-11 08:29 PM
    I like using my Blackberrys. I can really appreciate Androids too. I actually used a galaxy s, and a nexus s for a bit. I found it much cheaper to go back to my berry and pick up an ipad2 for those times when I want a richer browser, rather than keep paying that guy to follow me around and carry 57 batteries to get me through the day with my Android. Haaaaaaaaaaa.
    Sorry OP... I'm just razzing you my friend. But you ARE after all-- on CRACKBERRY. :-)

07-10-11 09:22 PM
    I admit my first response was rather reactionary....but you can't drop in with a laundry list of complaints and expect a positive reception.

Mere moments later I did try to respond thoughtfully. I think the OP really needs to spend some more time with the device and learn all the fun/neat/useful tricks that have been part of the OS for years...long before Android or iOS were even written, let alone available.

There are many, many very slick and productive elements within the BlackBerry OS that, quite frankly, I have come to take for granted because I am so used to using them. Give it time....patience, young grasshopper.
    07-11-11 03:28 AM
    And looking back over my order history, I see I bought BeBuzz in May 2009....so I honestly cannot recall how the default LED behaves. I agree it has limitations, like only flashing a reminder for 15 minutes (default setting, can't be changed) and one color (ditto), but I sucked it up and bought the whole suite of Bellshare apps (BerryBuzz, BerryPopup, and SmartAlerts) because I wanted some fairly granular control over how my LED alerted me.
    07-11-11 03:34 AM
    I appreciate the intelligent responses. Opera mini was considered a downgrade on android, so I didn't expect it to ever be considered an upgrade but I'll try that. The droid 1 didn't have a gpu, in fact I think only the tablets if not one of the newest phones do, that's why I made the comparison. My droid was a year older with from what I can tell similar specs, in fact non-rooted I believe slower, but even without rooting and overclocking it's still capable of full flash browsing with no problems. I'm not sure if the type of processor and ram in this phone are just naturally a lot slower from being different types even though they're roughly the same speeds or it's just the OS. It seems like "entry level" is another excuse by RIM.

I'm not sure why I'm getting hated on so harshly as everything I listed I've seen that I'm not alone on. I even read RIM's solution is to buy a better blackberry. To me that makes no sense, since I was used to having a phone I could tinker with to pass speeds of phones three years newer- I would have immediately punched google in the face if they just told me to buy a new phone.

Like I stated, I'd prefer to like this phone rather than hate it as I'm stuck with it, but my main issues are the constant pausing which makes me unable to control the phone, and the browser still not being able to load anything even after uninstalling what few apps I did have besides missinglight as I'm still not alone on the led not continuing to flash after a call, which is just another thing I'd expect a userbase to boo rather than yay.

Again I have to compare it to my old moto Q's and if I recall correctly they even performed better than this thing. With that said, again, I also have to go back to the droid 1- similar specs to the 9300 and is perfectly capable of being hacked to run the latest android OS flawlessly which shouldn't even be possible.

Understand I am not trying to bash blackberry as harsh as I may seem, I just really haven't seen anything but flaws thus far. Now for instance, do the newer blackberries have that little clock that spins and you can't do anything until it's done? Is it a commonly accepted thing to have to wait? Or is it just the slower models like mine? That's one of the things I'd like to find out. This may be a situation where I'm from the future and can't understand your primitive technology, and you're the old man who's on the "well back in my day!" rant and is still perfectly find with a hand crank. Or, I could just be on a really slow phone that's in a similar situation to trying to run windows 7 on a 386 without the turbo button. Get what I mean?

With android and crapple, there are no "entry level" phones. You just buy a cheap flip phone with a generic phone OS that does nothing. Blackberries are supposed to compete with them, but I feel like I'm on one of those flip phones.

None of you made this phone. There is no reason to be insulted by any of this. I'm just wondering if this is the norm, and if it is, then RIM has some serious work to do. If it's just my phone, then that's fine. I just don't know and am not used to a smartphone company making a device that runs their latest OS at the speed of smell. Again, it's like windows 7 on a 386, maybe with the turbo button.

It might help you to know that I do have a lot of knowledge about technology, you can get as technical as you need to for me to understand what I can or can't do to improve this phone. I've gone through every menu and looked at every setting and can understand all of it, but it could all boil down to me not understanding that a smartphone company would release a new phone that comes pre-outdated.

I'll read that guide when I wake up but guys, listen, I'm not trying to bash blackberry. I didn't get to choose the phone, I didn't even know I'd end up with it as it originally wasn't intended for me. I'm just happy they didn't choose an iphone, but this blackberry honestly feels like an eight year old phone even though it was released in 2010. If I were you guys I would be mad at RIM and not me, but if accepting this for what it is is what you all do, then that's cool and I don't mean to tread on you for it. I just find it odd. Maybe this phone only costs $10 though, and for $35 a month if opera mini does in fact let me use the net then I will feel it's worth it. Mostly I just feel bad my family member is trying to help us save money and was nice enough to do this so I feel like I should find a way to make this work.

I know, another long rant bashing the phone. Except it's not. I hope someone will get what I'm trying to say as the answer to this entire post can easily be summed up in one sentence and it doesn't have to be a sarcastic one either.

07-11-11 04:19 AM
    And looking back over my order history, I see I bought BeBuzz in May 2009....so I honestly cannot recall how the default LED behaves. I agree it has limitations, like only flashing a reminder for 15 minutes (default setting, can't be changed) and one color (ditto), but I sucked it up and bought the whole suite of Bellshare apps (BerryBuzz, BerryPopup, and SmartAlerts) because I wanted some fairly granular control over how my LED alerted me.
    Ok now you see with my droid, I needed none of that. And, once I was rooted with cyanogenmod, the things BeBuzz does were all built right in and 100% customizable. The LED would never stop blinking, stock or rooted, until a missed call was checked. With this blackberry I would have to keep turning the screen on to check if I left it out of hearing distance as I'd have no idea if someone called. Having to buy third party apps for things like that is what bothers me. I'm not sure why that's accepted by the blackberry userbase. I'm not sure why YOU guys aren't the ones complaining. It could just be you've never used anything else and you don't realize this is the only phone that does such weird outdated things even on its latest OS. And rim's had more time than anyone to sort things out, so again it's just so weird to me how there seems to be no steps of evolution. In fact, one of the people talking about the led not flashing after a call, they were all the way back in OS4. I do hope that guide helps but like I said I've gone into and easily understood every setting in this phone. I hope I can live in a world stuck in stock.

I mean there's icons for ms pac-man, the smurf's village, myspace and three t-mobile icons I can't delete. I can hide them, but if this were android they wouldn't be there. Maybe that is my biggest issue. Maybe that guide explains how to remove things like that and If I can it'd be a step in the right direction. That and if opera mini works, I'll be a lot happier to start. I don't want no stupid smurfs. And I tried bolt, it's straight out of 2003 if not earlier. I also can't seem to delete the default bookmarks from the default browser, another thing weirding me out.

Last edited by steveyos; 07-11-11 at 04:39 AM.
    07-11-11 04:35 AM
    If you are running OS 5 then I suggest upgrading to OS 6, a key difference between 5 & 6 is the browser.

If you're going on non mobile friendly sites then expect quite a few to close as the size will just be too big.

Some bookmarks you won't be able to delete as they kind have been built into the phone. However you cannot call this a flaw or complain as I only have 2 bookmarks which I cannot delete, you just have to live with them.

The small clock/hourglass you get happens with most if not all blackberries depending which model you have. To reduce the small clock from appearing make sure you reboot your phone ( take out the battery and put it back in ) fairly regularly. Another thing is to ensure you are not running too many apps at once on your device.

07-11-11 08:38 AM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD