So I have read in quite a few threads that Video chat with Skype is possible through imo.im, within the PlayBook browser.

I cannot get this feature to work.

I am able to pull up the settings box once I've initiated a chat and select between front-facing camera and rear and I am usually able to see the feed of myself but cannot see the other person nor can they see me. All the time, voice is working.

Havn't been able to find a thread on this yet in relation to troubleshooting, can anyone give me some suggestions?
    07-10-11 05:47 PM
    I got it to work in mine. I really could not tell you how did I do it, but I had to play with it for a while. Is hit miss with im, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt.

Hope that you can get it working soon.
    07-10-11 11:11 PM
    So I have read in quite a few threads that Video chat with Skype is possible through imo.im, within the PlayBook browser.

I cannot get this feature to work.

I am able to pull up the settings box once I've initiated a chat and select between front-facing camera and rear and I am usually able to see the feed of myself but cannot see the other person nor can they see me. All the time, voice is working.

Havn't been able to find a thread on this yet in relation to troubleshooting, can anyone give me some suggestions?
    Once you hit start Video Call, your friend would receive a link, he must click on it so his Video begins to be transmitted, IMO.im uses Skype for Voice chatting only, but for Video it uses it's own.
    07-11-11 02:17 AM
    Once you hit start Video Call, your friend would receive a link, he must click on it so his Video begins to be transmitted, IMO.im uses Skype for Voice chatting only, but for Video it uses it's own.
    Interesting. I'll have to play around with it some more. The only real "playing" i've done with it is log out-back in, close/re-open browser, played with the imo.im in chat settings. The people i initiated chat with never said anything about a link coming up, and would that limit it to only video chatting with other flash enabled devices?
    07-15-11 09:33 PM
    Can get it to work, everytime I click to enale the camera on my playbook the camera on the other persons skype closes and stays hidden
    12-18-11 12:02 PM
    i just received my PB yesterday and tried logging onto the imo.im website. But my browser gives me an error saying to clear the cache or hard restart! ..

is this to do with the imo website layout change? Or is there something wrong with my PB?

thanks
    03-30-12 05:08 AM
    Having similar problems here. Not tried to do a vid call yet but I can't even get the webcam to load up on the self shot - just a white screen?

So will ipad users use an official app while we use a browser...to allow us to talk/see?
    03-30-12 09:02 AM
    sav25 - were you even able to login to skype via the imo website?

After i get the error message, i'm left with the login page with the different IM icons on the right . but selecting any of them doesn't do anything .. the page is just 'dead'.
    03-30-12 09:07 AM
    I fear of sounding a bit '1995' here...I don't have Skype yet. I only signed-up for IMO after reading a post somewhere that you could vid chat for free cross platform.

Is Skype free, or do you have to pay for certain things? I know nothing about it - haven't had a need until now.

I'm happy to try anything (that is free lol) to help this discussion
    03-30-12 09:26 AM
    skype is free. in order to vid chat, there are several ways you can do this and i've only just been reading up on it myself

1) you can use the website AV by AOL - Let's video chat! (no account required, but you need to send the other party a link). This still works as i just tried this yesterday

2) use https://imo.im. You will need a skype account for this. as it's a web-based client which you have to log into. This one i have problems with as when i try to go to the imo site, it just hits me with a pop up error message. and i can't get any further than that.
    anon(2678007) likes this.
    03-30-12 09:30 AM
    Thanks

Yeah i'm set up on IMO. Just need my iPad pal to do the same so we can try it out.

Do you know if the AV site works with the ipad?
    03-30-12 09:58 AM
    Hm, so you can log into the skype client through imo.

Then it must be smething wrong with my end ... i can't even get through the login page due to this stupid error message asking me to clear cache or reset my device.

by the way .. the ipad doesn't support flash - so they will not be able to take full advantage of the imo site. That could be the reason why.

and no, if the ipad doesn't support flash, they won't be able to use the AV site either.
    03-30-12 10:33 AM
    It has been said on here many times that the Skype part of Imo.im only does chat.
    03-30-12 11:16 AM
    Yep I used it and its only good for
    Chat.
    03-30-12 01:48 PM
    IMO worked fine before OS 2, video and voice. You both had to be logged in to IMO though.

I've used IMO once since OS 2.0 and it was a 100% fail for video.

If anyone knows of a way to VOIP over the PB then I would like to know.
    03-30-12 05:46 PM
    Could be a coincidence but....

A couple of months ago I tried signing into this site with my Skype details on my playbook, didn't work so shut it down.
    That very night my Skype was hacked, I caught it because I was on my playbook and got the email immediately that they'd changed the email and bought a subscription for Taiwan. I got in, changed password, deleted subscription and card details and complained to skype to reverse credit card charges. So thanks to playbook I caught it before further damage was done.

I don't know how my details were stolen, but it is suspicious that I'd just tried to use them on Imo so ill be staying clear of it!
    03-31-12 02:59 AM
    Okay.. So the error message i got on the imo login WAS down to a need to clear browser cache.

On the video chat side, i can see the other party, but the pb doesnt transmit video. Voice chat was perfectly okay.

On the other hand the aol av site is major fail as there is huge 8sec lag for everything.
    03-31-12 10:24 AM
    You can get Skype on https://plus.im/
    08-01-13 10:04 AM
    You can get Skype on https://plus.im/
    Do videocalls work?
    08-01-13 10:09 AM
    try faceflow it work well on the playbook
    08-01-13 07:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD