This feature was originally being touted in leaked documents from RIM (back when OS7 was called 6.1).

Now, there hasn't been ANY reference to mobile hotspot functionality in ANY materials coming out of RIM.

Does anyone have the inside scoop on if it truly has been pulled from OS7?
    07-08-11 09:17 AM
    it will, but it will be carrier determined if the phone will feature it.
    earlier OS's had it, but the latter leaks have not had the feature included
    07-08-11 10:20 AM
    Perhaps they modified the OS to require a new service book for it and none of the carriers are supporting that service book as of yet?
    07-08-11 02:34 PM
    pure bull****! this is what drives me nuts with providers. a feature that is clearly has a demand but yet they can't or don't produce it! here's an idea RIM if you want to drive more people to your devices start expanding the features offered. given not everyone will use it but at least some will. lets think outside the box here boys!
    08-04-11 04:42 PM
    pure bull****! this is what drives me nuts with providers. a feature that is clearly has a demand but yet they can't or don't produce it! here's an idea RIM if you want to drive more people to your devices start expanding the features offered. given not everyone will use it but at least some will. lets think outside the box here boys!
    Rim is offering the feature but the carriers wont allow it. Its not Rim's fault
    08-08-11 02:09 PM
    I have the Samsung Galaxy tab through tmobile and I hotspot to my unlocked torch 9800; to overcome EDGE speeds. I would like to get a 3g phone and hotspot to my tablet so I can get rid of the second data plan.

I'm considering the new touch bold but only if I can hotspot to my tablet. I mainly just need it for google navigation on the go. It's far superior and less cumbersome than anything blackberry can provide.

Between the torch and the tablet, I think I have the perfect setup. I just need to reduce the monthly expenditure.

I guess the point of this post was to mention that tmobile android devices have the hotspot feature, so why can't blackberry?
    08-22-11 07:56 PM
    It says right on the 9930 box "Sprint Mobile Hotspot Capable". I nor the Sprint sales rep could find the setting but have read there is a software update that will activate it. There was no option for extra charges to have this option so no telling if a software update will be accompanied by additional costs.
    08-22-11 10:33 PM
    Just talked to a T-Mobile rep in the mall here in Washington State; and he said the Bold touch will have hotspot capability and he said since my tablet isn't on a contract, I should be able to hotspot data to it for google navigation and what not. The savings alone will pay for the new device, but I will miss the screen size of the Torch 9800.

damn, just realized I'll have to buy all new accessories again! (iGrip, bedside dock, holsters.) ugggggg...

I wish I could just get 3G on the ATT 9800 through Tmobile but I know that's a hardware limitation.
    08-23-11 06:16 PM
    My att repp told me yesterday that mobile hot spot isn't availabe "yet"

So it sounds like its coming.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-11 10:09 PM
    if anybody gets their hands on a OS 7 Torch device I would love to see what happens to the availability of the mobile hotspot feature straight out of the box or on a unlocked/jailbroken phone. If anyone can check this please post ASAP because this is the only thing holding me back from upgrading. I really need the mobile hotspot feature.
    08-25-11 09:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD