Hey guys, wanted to get your opinion on this (might not work too well on a BB site).

I bought my Playbook intending to tether it with my original Motorola Droid phone. It didn't work, but I still love the Playbook and decided to keep it.

My contract (verizon) is up tomorrow, and I was wondering what phones work best to share internet with the PB- are any of them able to do so for free like using a BB phone?

I would want to stick with Android because I love the Google Naviagion app, but I wouldn't mind waiting to see how the Droid 3, Droid Bionic, and next BB (monaco?) turn out- I've spent 2 years with the Droid, another month wont hurt.

Thanks!
    07-05-11 05:31 PM
    i would get a nice android phone that also doubles as a WiFi hotspot, because that will make tethering obsolete
    07-05-11 06:00 PM
    Carriers may charge for you to enable your phone to become a hotspot. But its often less than tethering.
    07-05-11 06:16 PM
    I just picked up a hot new Atrix from AT&T. Works great with the PB.
    07-05-11 06:19 PM
    I just picked up a hot new Atrix from AT&T. Works great with the PB.
    this is a very good choice
    07-05-11 06:23 PM
    Worth noting that wifi hotspot tends to drain the battery INSANELY faster than tethering, for those who think it will obsolete tethering...

I highly doubt it for this reason alone...
    lorax1284 likes this.
    07-05-11 06:26 PM
    Carriers may charge for you to enable your phone to become a hotspot. But its often less than tethering.
    One really has to wonder why that is.
    07-05-11 06:58 PM
    The xperia Arc is pretty nifty
    07-05-11 07:26 PM
    or you can do what I did.. I have an iPhone and jailbroke it. then got a program called MyWi through Cydia. I think it was $19 if I remember right. But it turns my iPhone into a wifi hotspot through 3G and it's free. Not as fast as regular wifi but it works and did I mention, free!
    07-05-11 07:53 PM
    However if you can use your phone as a hotspot would it allow you to get in AppWorld unlike tethering... or did i got that wrong?
    07-05-11 09:44 PM
    You could still use App World connected to a HP.
    07-05-11 09:46 PM
    Any android phone on verizon that can be rooted can use wireless tether (a mobile hotspot app) or similar app for free. Keep in mind this is technically stealing data as you are not paying for the plan. Carriers are trying to crack down on this but it still can be done on Verizon. Once you root you can even run a custom rom like cyanogen mod which will come with free hot spot baked in. This even works great on your original droid. You can root it and try custom roms on it to see if you like it before moving to another android device. If you don't know what rooting is or what custom roms are you can check out android central. They have tons of posts and tutorials on it. In most cases it is fairly easy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-11 09:55 PM
    or you can do what I did.. I have an iPhone and jailbroke it. then got a program called MyWi through Cydia. I think it was $19 if I remember right. But it turns my iPhone into a wifi hotspot through 3G and it's free. Not as fast as regular wifi but it works and did I mention, free!
    If you're running the latest iOS on your iPhone, you do not need to jailbreak your iPhone to enable the built-in personal hotspot feature. You may have to pay a tethering charge depending on your carrier/plan. Does the MyWi avoid this tethering charge?
    07-05-11 09:59 PM
    besides my BlackBerry i also use a Tmobile G2 as a wifi hotspot
    07-05-11 11:14 PM
    This is a no brainer. Hold off for 30 days or so and pick up a Bold Touch 9900. Not only to you get tethering, but also bridging!
    uci2ci likes this.
    07-05-11 11:18 PM
    LOL, ummm didn't you say you paid $19. That doesn't equal free. LOL. J/K I know you mean no paying for the hotspot feature through your carrier!
    07-06-11 10:00 AM
    However if you can use your phone as a hotspot would it allow you to get in AppWorld unlike tethering... or did i got that wrong?
    I tested this at my local VZW store, with my Storm 2 (not a true WIFI Hotspot) and I couldn't access app world. My wife has and Iphone, i'll check tonight when I get home. I believe that would work though, because at some point I received update notifications from App World on my PB. I just moved into a new house, so my wifi isn't up yet, but I did connect to her Iphone's hotspot.
    07-06-11 10:05 AM
    I have wifi at home and at the office, so I'm pretty well covered. But I always have an LG Optimus One with Cyanogen7 on me for those times I need it. Makes a pretty good MiFi...
    07-06-11 02:40 PM
    Thanks for all the input. I think waiting to see the 9930 and Droid Bionic is the right idea. I wish the full touchscreen one would come soon.

are there any good gps apps that are as good/better for the bb compared to google navigation?
    07-06-11 06:39 PM
    are there any good gps apps that are as good/better for the bb compared to google navigation?
    There isn't really anything that can compare yet. Google maps for bb works well on my 9650 but it doesn't give turn by turn directions. BB traffic gives turn by turn directions but doesn't have a map. Waze does both but is just not reliable enough yet to match google nav on an android device. Unfortunately, until RIM combines BB traffic with BB maps (which I believe they will do eventually) there won't be a comparable option.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-11 06:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD