So I'm loving my PB, but it obviously isn't selling as well as RIM would like, or enough to entice developers like Skype, Kindle, and Netflix. So this post is my selfish way to help increase sales of the PB so I get better apps!

I've seen repeated threads saying that the in store demo models of the PB are not updated to the latest OS, not set to presentation mode as they should be, or even working. My suggestion is that we harness the vast Crackberry army to fix this situation. Everyone should go into their local Best Buy, Office Depot, RadioShack/The Source, wherever Playbooks are sold and fix them!

Here's what I propose:

1. Ensure they have the latest OS, go to Options-Software Updates and click on "Check for Updates" and download the latest software.

2. Then go to Options-General and change Application Behaviour to Showcase, so Apps continue to work while off screen, it's a cool feature and differentiates the PB from the iPad. Then change Demo Mode to ON, so that the demo movies are shown when no one is using it to attract attention, it only takes affect when the PB is plugged in so it won't drain the battery (all demo units are plugged in).

3. If the demo units are not working ask a sales associate to fix them or put out a new unit, tell them you are considering buying a PB but have to be able to try it out first. Don't feel bad, asking them as it's their job, just mention to them that it will increase their stores sales, if Best Buy has non working demo units then customers will go to Office Depot to buy it.

4. This step is optional, but if the store has non-working or non-wifi connected Playbooks ask to speak to a manager or supervisor to fix the situation. You will be doing them a favour as I'm sure managers want to have working demo devices.

When you've hit up a store and fixed their demo units post in this thread so we can all congratulate you, and we can track which stores have been fixed.

This is an important initiative, as the HP tablet has just been released, so consumers have more choices than ever, let's help them make the smart choice and choose a Playbook! If Kevin or any of the Crackberry crew want to make this a sticky that would be a big help for all us Playbook owners looking for better Apps! Go forth Crackberry Army and help yourself by helping Playbook sales!
    07-02-11 05:34 PM
    At least BestBuy has a PB,even if not presented perfectly.
    Here in Germany,there is no shop that i know off that even has one,not even as a dummy.
    Last weak i wanted to look at some honeycomb tablet,but all the shop had was a HTC Flyer(not working of course,only thing you could do was grab it and hold it)and a Ipad but the Ipad 2 couldnt be used for over 10 minutes because the salesman was busy writing personal emails in his worktime.
    So as you see,there are places much worse than BestBuy and Co.
    07-02-11 05:43 PM
    Sounds like a good idea but I do work 17 hour shifts almost everyday so its hard for me to find some free time but I'll try my best to do so on my off days

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-11 05:51 PM
    I just went to my local BestBuy and the PB was mounted in a locked case, off with no literature anywhere near. I walk around the corner and there's a large iPad2 display with a demo unit on and running. BestBuy hasn't had any iPad2s to even sell in weeks. Horrible marketing and the fact it's still not a finished device is killing the Playbook. Now that RIM has shelved the 10" PB just look bad.
    07-02-11 05:56 PM
    It would be cool if the crack berry team would put on the home page "National Playbook Update Day" and pick out a Saturday for it to be done.

If enough people complain around the same time about the devices being out of date then store might finally get the realization when things look like sh** they lose business. Same goes for the employees.
    Last edited by Charlieo132; 07-02-11 at 06:04 PM.
    blackberry-pimp and kzeusr like this.
    07-02-11 06:02 PM
    After reading this thread ... are all of you RIM stock owners.
    So long as MY PB works that is all I care.
    chicken29 likes this.
    07-02-11 06:42 PM
    After reading this thread ... are all of you RIM stock owners.
    So long as MY PB works that is all I care.
    Good for you Mandony, but you missed the OP's point.

I was in my local Costco last week. The booth that sells phones had a PB that looked like it was locked up. I restarted, it had the latest SW, changed it to Demo mode and it looked great. Watched as several people picked it up and used it.

5 mins of my time, not a special trip just did it becasue I was there.
    07-02-11 06:53 PM
    im getting off my *** right now and heading over to best buy!!! ( my playbook is in my coat pocket by the way. Gotta love that portability!!)
    07-02-11 07:09 PM
    good idea, only takes a few min and can't hurt.

07-02-11 07:11 PM
    I fixed the demo unit at the Office Max (still running release day os) at least they have a working wifi connection...which is not the case at most retailers in the area.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    ladybam likes this.
    07-02-11 07:17 PM
    1. Ensure they have the latest OS, go to Options-Software Updates and click on "Check for Updates" and download the latest software.

2. Then go to Options-General and change Application Behaviour to Showcase, so Apps continue to work while off screen, it's a cool feature and differentiates the PB from the iPad. Then change Demo Mode to ON, so that the demo movies are shown when no one is using it to attract attention, it only takes affect when the PB is plugged in so it won't drain the battery (all demo units are plugged in).
    I've done these at one Bureau En Gros (Staples) in Montreal already, it didn't have the latest OS and was not set to showcase.
    Last edited by Megacharge; 07-02-11 at 07:20 PM.
    backslaps and Fnord like this.
    07-02-11 07:18 PM
    Oh ive been doing this from the jump...... Its a habit now.
    07-02-11 08:11 PM
    RIM should be policing thr channel to ensure the demo units are working properly as per whatever agreements they have with sellers. I love the PB, just not enough to do RIM's work for them.

chicken29 and dosto like this.
    07-02-11 08:16 PM
    i have failed guys... the damn wifi at best buy is so terrible it keeps failing to update. I bridged my blackberry to this unit to even type out this email. I informed the girl helping me about the wifi and she just brushed it off saying its very spotty on/off all the time. I also checked out the web os hp tablet while i thought the playbook was updating and that thing is horrible!!! they must have a faulty unit because it lags with every single swipe and you cant even type on it. When you touch the keyboard it starts typing all kind of giberish on it.

mapsonburt likes this.
    07-02-11 08:41 PM
    l'm gonna start hitting the futureshops in Montreal. their setup is pathetic.
    Megacharge and jenks5150 like this.
    07-02-11 08:56 PM
    For those that don't understand why you would want to do it, let me tell you.

IF the demo units work properly, ppl will want to buy them.
    IF ppl buy them, and enough do, Devs will have more incentive to make apps for it.
    IF more devs make apps for it, you win too.
    Also might make RIM release more updates.
    ignites likes this.
    07-02-11 08:56 PM
    I forgot how you register them. When I was in bestbuy they couldn't even get it connected to their wifi and after they did we went thru the steps and when it asked to choose a country there was no country to choose.

I tried updating that one at office max and he told me not to do that.

Point me in the direction of getting it registered or whatever the screen was asking for a country on.

For the ones saying I have mine and don't care or I'm not going to do rims job....don't you want it to sell more so the one you own will get better faster and have good apps available for it?
    07-02-11 09:50 PM
    Most places like Best Buy will have ****ty wifi. Its the nature of to many devices and not enough support for the wifi service to deal with it. The same thing happened at the Apple event last year. i tried updating one several weeks ago at BB and it would fail.
    07-02-11 10:53 PM
    I just think it's crap that these stores aren't even giving it a chance or like they are just ignoring it. I do agree the ipad is not crap, it's just not for everyone.

Someone that only know they want a pad walks into the store to try some they pick up the playbook and it's nonfunctional, the move onto the next and it works and the next works and the next. Do you think they are even going to think about the playbook?

RIM really needs to get out to these stores if they want their product to succeed. Well that and get the damn thing finished! I don't even own one yet as I'm still waiting to see what the heck is going to happen with RIM. I do think it can be quite the little beast.
    07-03-11 12:08 AM
    Great idea op!

07-03-11 12:12 AM
    This is a great idea, though I have been trying to do this whenever I got the chance ever since the release. If Kevin could do a blog post to "rally the troops" that would be great and in turn will ensure more PlayBook sells. Which WILL benefit us who have already bought one.
    07-03-11 12:30 AM
    The stores up have no problem putting out every Tablet, the problem is most disable their Wi-Fi.

I had to use Samsung nexus S to play with the PlayBook.

The other problem is none of them have any Media (Music, Videos, etc.) to test.
    07-03-11 12:42 AM
    haha ima bike to my best buy / futureshop and start updating them xD

and no i don't own rim stock
    07-03-11 12:59 AM
    Thank you for this positive pro-active thread

Compare it to recent Best Buy threads:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/th...iences-626742/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/sh...st-buy-627318/

Places to rant and complain that serve no other constructive purpose than therapy for babies apparently.
    maddie1128 likes this.
    07-03-11 01:03 AM

I think it was started to show that these stores and or RIM are inept at even having a working playbook when every other tab seems to be functioning like they should.

Did anyone claim a conspiracy theory? If they did I didn't see it. But you're right they serve no purpose.

Now get back to your post's that crack me up will ya!
    backslaps likes this.
    07-03-11 01:09 AM
112 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD