Hey friends!

I'm a huge bb fan and I stick with bb since 2004.
    So while paitiently waiting for the 9900 release, I saw some ads about the HTC Sensation - till now I never really tried Android devices and I didn't care about iOS - so as I was at my phone shop I played a bit with it and was really impressed. The specs are 1,2GHz Dual(!)Core, HD cam with 1080p and Dualflash, the browser was able to run Flash and HTML5 etc.
    Even Wikitude was preinstalled (wish is a big thing in OS7).
    I mean that device is albe to do everything and even more than the 9900 can do.
    I also was impressed by the frontfacing cam, which now allowes you to make skype-video calls from where ever you are (the dealer told me that).
    I'm mean it's like a small playbook for your pocket.

So, the big lacks of Android devices like that are:
    - missing the perfect keyboard
    - and no push-mail, only 5minutes refresh

It was my first "real" contact to an Android device, but that thing really impressed me.

I also often read a lot of posts like: "I switched to Android, but now I'm back" and I never took care bout that, cause I never thought about switching - till now (a bit).

Why keeps you to wait for the 9900 or other OS7 devices?
    What do you expect as the big advantages?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-11 03:48 AM
    What keeps me waiting is the lack of desire to move to another platform. Nothing has impressed me enough to leave.
    What keeps you waiting? If you like the droid, give it a try. What's there to lose? Ultimately, you are the one that has to live with the phone, so get what's suits your needs best.

07-02-11 06:07 AM
    I guess the real question you need to ask yourself is what do I really need out of my device? Because I'm sure after a month or two the wow factor will go away and reality will set in.

Hey friends!

So while paitiently waiting for the 9900 release, I saw some ads about the HTC Sensation - till now I never really tried Android devices and I didn't care about iOS - so as I was at my phone shop I played a bit with it and was really impressed. The specs are 1,2GHz Dual(!)Core, HD cam with 1080p and Dualflash, the browser was able to run Flash and HTML5 etc.
    I also was impressed by the frontfacing cam, which now allowes you to make skype-video calls from where ever you are (the dealer told me that).

It was my first "real" contact to an Android device, but that thing really impressed me.

I also often read a lot of posts like: "I switched to Android, but now I'm back" and I never took care bout that, cause I never thought about switching - till now (a bit).

07-02-11 06:21 AM
    Just so to prove to myself that no other phone does it for me, I tried a Desire HD and a Windows Phone HD 7. And here I am back with a new 9780. Think I'll skip the 9900 though.

Not all 'hopey, changey' stuff is good (disclaimer: not a Palin fan)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    Fascade518 and Slash82 like this.
    07-02-11 06:47 AM
    Try it out, see how you like it. I always get a little pleasure out of those "I went to Android and now I'm back" threads. I honestly love the BlackBerry platform. It's what I know, it's what I'm comfortable with. And a physical keyboard is a must for me.
    shemaree09, Slash82 and andyahs like this.
    07-02-11 06:54 AM
    Some other points where Android is lacking:
    - Poor security.
    - Lots of variation in devices creates a fragmented environment for developers.
    - OS fragmentation caused by device makers and carriers.

flash24 and Slash82 like this.
    07-02-11 06:59 AM
    I guess the real question you need to ask yourself is what do I really need out of my device? Because I'm sure after a month or two the wow factor will go away and reality will set in.

You are soooo right on this!!!!
    First few days with my Atrix I thought I'd found Nirvana. Actually tried to change my main phone to my Atrix and make my BB as a backup.
    After three weeks I'd started to notice the lag was becoming significant on the Atrix. After a month of not making it through a full day on the battery, not being able to load one single page between underground Metro stations, and reading about three different Android security incidents, I was done.
    The multimedia experience on the Atrix absolutely obliterated my BB but I want a communication device FIRST, over anything else, that stays alive through my day.
    Back to my supposedly under spec Torch....which manages to load web pages between underground Metro stations.
    07-02-11 07:24 AM
    If you are enjoying your BlackBerry, stay with BlackBerry. If you aren't, don't.

Simple as that.

shemaree09, Slash82 and flash24 like this.
    07-02-11 07:39 AM
    I won't be going with Android or BB 9900 anytime soon, I am under contract with the evil ones at ATT for another year.

So when questions are asked why don't you switch platforms, generally most people I know are under contract so they stick with the phones they have for 2-3 years.

That new phone the OP sounds like a lot of fun, but within a few months you will settle into a few practical apps you use all the time, the tech will be behind the curve, and the form factor, functionality, and battery life will matter more.
    Slash82 likes this.
    07-02-11 07:46 AM
    Some other points where Android is lacking:
    - Poor security.
    - Lots of variation in devices creates a fragmented environment for developers.
    - OS fragmentation caused by device makers and carriers.

A fragmented environment just like RIM has done but hopefully are going to quit with that.

But so far I'm sticking with them because it's what I like best right now, simple as that.
    07-02-11 07:47 AM
    First of all (again ) THANK YOU for all your replys.

Sure, I`d like to try that device, but around 500-600 bucks are too much for me, just for a test.

But the HTC Sensation was one of these moments, when you see something and you go like: "WOAAAA!"
    As one of you wrote, this only could be for the first moment.
    I mean, there are a lot of of people in here who came back from Android.

Why would anyone do that, when Android would be "so perfect" as the datasheet says?!

I just wanted to hear what keeps you with your blackberry.

And I didn�t want to start a typical "bla, bla, outdated" or "This or that sucks..." thread or so.

The 9900 is also the device I have been waiting for since 2009.
    But the HTC impressed yesterday - thats where my thoughts came from.
    07-02-11 07:58 AM
    Yeah somethings are like sometimes I see a woman and think WOAAAA I want her and after a couple dates all I can think is what a bit__.
    07-02-11 08:00 AM
    First of all (again ) THANK YOU for all your replys.

Sure, I`d like to try that device, but around 500-600 bucks are too much for me, just for a test.

But the HTC Sensation was one of these moments, when you see something and you go like: "WOAAAA!"
    As one of you wrote, this only could be for the first moment.
    I mean, there are a lot of of people in here who came back from Android.

Why would anyone do that, when Android would be "so perfect" as the datasheet says?!

I just wanted to hear what keeps you with your blackberry.

And I didn�t want to start a typical "bla, bla, outdated" or "This or that sucks..." thread or so.

The 9900 is also the device I have been waiting for since 2009.
    But the HTC impressed yesterday - thats where my thoughts came from.
    It all comes down to what you use your phone for. Nobody can tell you why its better becuase its totally subjective. If you want long battery life, simplicity, messaging and nothing else, then a BB will fill you needs. If you want gaming, internet, video, apps, flash etc etc then you should look at the other platforms. The sensation is a sweet device. But if you all you care about is email and text messaging, then whats the point?
    07-02-11 08:02 AM
    The sensation on Tmobile is a very nice Android and if I were to switch today, that would be the very phone I would get and I am not all about touch, but I messed around on it and it was a joy. Didn't notice any lag, was quick and even the on screen keyboard was nice.

Read plenty of reviews about its battery life being the best out of any new top dog Android as well, which is strange as HTC makes killer phones, but **** poor battery managment.

I haven't switched due to money issues and still under contract. It was a nice phone and I am a huge BB fan and love my 9700.

I will say, had other Androids. IMO due to "my" experience it really is just a novelty. The fun factor wears off quickly, the lag starts, you can root, but is a little more a pain than switching OS's on a BB (Not that hard, just different I guess.) And the biggest gripe with Android for me....call quality sucks! Had a few Androids, lower models to mid/high and they were all terrible. My 9700 is perfect, all my BB's have been, same carrier....

Good luck

07-02-11 10:16 AM
    The keyboard and the LED notification with BerryBuzz is enough to keep me on my BlackBerry. I've thought about surgically attaching it to my hand.

shemaree09 likes this.
    07-02-11 10:37 AM
    BlackBerry does everything a phone should do better than the others. I don't want or need a tablet for my pocket. Whatever BlackBerry can't do now I don't need in a phone.

jthep likes this.
    07-02-11 11:09 AM
    Yeah somethings are like sometimes I see a woman and think WOAAAA I want her and after a couple dates all I can think is what a bit__.
    Yah....hate to put energy into something only to find it's just smoke and mirrors....

I spent 500 bucks to find that lesson.....about the phone
    07-02-11 11:59 AM
    I have read the post and become curious did you change the platform or not? And if yes what are your impressions)
    07-18-11 07:17 AM
    For me its mostly about the keyboard and associated short cuts. The excellent cellular radio and battery life are also attractive as is getting by with a $15 data plan on AT&T.
    07-18-11 10:05 PM
    When I was browsing Best Buy the other day, there was Samsung Galaxy S2 to try out. Very similar specs probably to HTC Sensation. It struck me how similar it was to iPhone 4 in look and overall experience of Android 2.3.

But I am a pragmatist, I use the best device for my particular needs. I built a hackintosh home theatre pc few years ago because Windows Vista was horrible.

Although, it's not as polished as Galaxy S2 or Sensation, I purchased an inexpensive Android eReader for my pdf books. B/W Kindle did not meet of my needs for color. I rooted the eReader for the tablet experience.

The problem I have with Android phones is that you have to root most of them to achieve the full Google Android experience thus compromising security.

I stick with BB because the phone is a tool for communication for most. After you start using apps on a larger screen 7" or above, the smaller screen on the phone feels like compromised experience.

Just my opinion..... I hope it helps.
    Hey friends!

07-18-11 10:28 PM
    I agree with FuzzyB...
    you need to ask yourself what you need...

About the android, well it's a pretty powerful device, it's ranked 2nd place on the "most powerful devices on the world".

What I don't like with this HTC is that it's a bit heavy and also like you said - no keyboard... but if you like the front camera maybe it's a right choice for you because the 9900 will not have it...

any way... instead of you, i would wait to try the 9900 and only then make the "right choice"
    07-19-11 12:23 AM
    I'd go with the sensation. It's going to be getting "ice cream sandwich " Which will be rolling out Google's new video chat feature via gtalk. I'm not sure if it's standard on os 2.3.4 yet.. but I've seen it in action.. pretty impressive. The 9900 will be a solid device. We all know this. But will it give you the innovative features many of the younger users are thirsty for.. my guess would be NO. Ice cream sandwich will be the truth! It will fully utilize the dual core. So if you think the phone is great now.. wait till you see it then! My two cents.

07-19-11 03:17 AM
    Hey friends!

android allows you to install a myriad of different keyboards and there are a huge selection of functionality to choose from, also android does do push mail, also some people seem to think blackberry is the only platform that does LED notifications, most htc phones and some others, including the sensation have LED notifications, and the nexus one even has a trackball that can do custom color notifications with the trackball, it's even the same exact trackball that was in the 9000

you'll also hear that fragmentation is a problem, i haven't ever experienced this, every app i use has worked on all 9 android phones i've owned. that word is thrown around as some sort of buzz word as a negative sway, it has almost no bearing on a consumer. the only time it comes into play really is with system updates, firmware updates, and if you don't like waiting for your carrier/manufacturer to roll them out, you can get the latest update pretty quickly as there are thousands of ROM's/OS's available, even ones ported from other devices and allow you to stay up to date. much like OS leaks from blackberry except about 100000 times more options.
    Last edited by katiepea; 07-19-11 at 03:57 AM.
    07-19-11 03:51 AM
    I have a full touch screen HD2 and I can't wait for my change over to BlackBerry probably torch. Hd2 keyboard whilst good at first isn't anymore, dispite several updates. Also just a thought if in an emergency situation thrying to operate a touch screen isn't easy.
    07-19-11 04:11 AM
    I am really interested to see the new line of BB devices. When my contract was up last December, I was able to get a free Samsung Mesmerize (same as the Fascinate). It was that, or pay $200 to upgrade from the 9630 to the 9650.

Some apps integrate better with BB (Vlingo, Drivesafe.ly), and I miss BBM and SocialScope. Other than that, I don't miss truncated emails, and I can do more on the SGS, which has made running my business much easier when out of the office.

I keep hearing about Android fragmentation, but from a development perspective, BB has been more difficult based on its fragmentation. The number of devices still running 4.5 that can't upgrade to 5.0, 5.0 devices that can't upgrade to BB6, different screen resolutions and orientations. How many times have we seen new apps come out that don't work on the Storm series right away? How many support OpenGL? GSM devices can do VOIP and sound analysis (like guitar tuning apps), which the BB CDMA chipset can't.

Even though my BB isn't my daily driver anymore, I still love BB, I and use it quite often. I keep hoping that the new devices will bring in all the features that turn my daily driver back into a BlackBerry.
    07-19-11 06:28 AM
51 123