I have really enjoyed using my Torch and World phones over the past several years. I have always wanted to have larger screens for functionability. Now I have a PlayBook with bridge. My phone instantly became more of a data conduit and a phone rather than a computer. I don't need the massive screen size in my phone when I carry my PB around.

I want a smaller smart phone.

Take me back to my Nokia and LG slider sized phones. I remember bragging about how small they were. It is amazing how fast I lost interest in size and got swept up by the functionality race. During that time I unfashionably clipped my smart phones to my designer jeans or left them bulging in my well tailored suit pockets. A holster... when did I become the guy I used to make fun?

Am I alone? Is bigger always going to be better? Should I just accept that I'll just start carrying my massive phone in a fanny pack for the rest of my life?
    Last edited by Just Me; 07-29-12 at 09:06 AM.
    07-01-11 11:13 AM
    Get a HP Pre then, they have a very small model in their lineup.

While the Androids are getting a bit ridiculous for screen size - 4" and bigger - something like the 9900 is great for me. As long as it fits in my front pocket I'm happy.
    07-01-11 11:25 AM
    Totally agree with you (Just Me) soon as I got my PB, I swapped my Torch for my spare bold 9700. Which is a smaller form factor.
    07-01-11 11:30 AM
    You've captured my position on this precisely. Touchscreen phones are too small to be an effective computer. I never could really read PDF, DOC or Excel attachments effectively. Typing with the touchscreen keypad was imprecise and slower than a physical keyboard. And the phone's browser was always a limiting factor. Never quite enough. My Playbook has replaced all of that and more. My phone is now just a conduit to my data. If I don't have my Playbook with me I can still access everything, but the Playbook makes it all of it truly usable and effective.
    07-01-11 11:38 AM
    I really like my BB style. 6.0 OS and its smaller than my old curve. It is a flip phone, which is a negative, but because of bridge i don't really care. I only use it to talk and sms. Everything else, calendar, contacts, browsing, all done on playbook. And its a cheaper BB, was free for me with sprint.
    07-01-11 12:05 PM
    Get a HP Pre then, they have a very small model in their lineup.

While the Androids are getting a bit ridiculous for screen size - 4" and bigger - something like the 9900 is great for me. As long as it fits in my front pocket I'm happy.
    I'd need the Pre to bridge first.

Totally agree with you (Just Me) soon as I got my PB, I swapped my Torch for my spare bold 9700. Which is a smaller form factor.
    It is nice to see some people agree. What about going smaller than the Bold? Maybe bring back a miniaturised 850 form factor, a keyboard and a small screen on the front and a larger touch screen on the back. Take care of the important communication and data storage functions with a simple small device and bridge everything else to the PlayBook.

I think this concept fits in with the Hierarchy that was outlined a few years ago.
    http://crackberry.com/crackberry-kev...ne-round-robin

Maybe while I wait for the 9900 I should try getting a Style. Are they discontinued because I cant find one anywhere.
    07-01-11 12:48 PM
    I'd previously gone from (many BB in the series) the 8100 to the Bold 9000 to the Torch and now the Pearl 3G 9100. It was all about simplicity and size. I was waiting for the 9900 but considering the handset as a pass thru device for the PB, may stick with the 9100. I was used to the sure-type from the original 8100 series so not a problem, in particular using the PB.

Small form factor, light weight, kept OS5, don't need OS6 on the 9100. Have you tried the Phone Remote app? works well with the PB/9100 - don't need the app - cool thing on the PB to show off.
    07-01-11 01:38 PM
    Get an HP Veer. It's tiny.
    07-01-11 04:04 PM
    If you want to stay with BB, of the upcoming phones, the Monaco Touch seems like its going to be a thin phone and it definitely won't be as wide as the Bold Touch. Also, the new curve coming out looks pretty tiny.

Or, if you are looking for a current phone, the Style or Pearl3G...
    07-01-11 04:27 PM
    Pearl 3G is the smallest BB you can get right now!
    07-01-11 04:28 PM
    I love my Pearl. 9100.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-11 08:56 PM
    Same here. Next phone will be a Bold and the next, and the next...

07-01-11 10:14 PM
    I tried the Pearl for a couple months and really liked the form factor. The only downside was the small screen.
    Now that was before I got the PlayBook. The Pearl and PlayBook might be a really nice combo.

Having said that...
    If people are carrying two devices everywhere, it might make sense to have a 3G/4G PlayBook that you could make calls on. I'm not talking about walking around holding the tablet to your ear, but if you had a bluetooth earpiece you could just use the PlayBook as a phone and save carrying a second device.
    07-01-11 11:37 PM
    Oh please. Unless you wear skinny jeans (which totally isn't fashionable) you should EASILY be able to fit a 4.3 inch screen in your pocket and the Blackberry Torch only has a 3.2 inch which is over a inch smaller then most of the HTC Android smartphones these days.

I don't understand how you can function on a smaller screen unless you aren't that addicted to it like I am. When I got my 10.1 inch tablet (Motorola Xoom) I was having problems readjusting to the smaller sizes on the Blackberries. But honestly I'm more then content with both devices so I'm not going to downsize again. I don't like to squint to see writing on the screen like I used to have to on the Bold 9700.

I could fit the 10 inch Motorola Xoom into my work jacket before I sold it. I've never had a problem putting it in my neatly tailored suit jacket. Go figure.
    07-02-11 12:18 AM
    Oh please. Unless you wear skinny jeans (which totally isn't fashionable) you should EASILY be able to fit a 4.3 inch screen in your pocket and the Blackberry Torch only has a 3.2 inch which is over a inch smaller then most of the HTC Android smartphones these days.

I don't understand how you can function on a smaller screen unless you aren't that addicted to it like I am. When I got my 10.1 inch tablet (Motorola Xoom) I was having problems readjusting to the smaller sizes on the Blackberries. But honestly I'm more then content with both devices so I'm not going to downsize again. I don't like to squint to see writing on the screen like I used to have to on the Bold 9700.

I could fit the 10 inch Motorola Xoom into my work jacket before I sold it. I've never had a problem putting it in my neatly tailored suit jacket. Go figure.
    People can and do function quite well with small phones like the 9100. I am so
    addicted to mine... I use it all day and all night...(ask my husband!) And it feels
    great in my hand. My curve 8320 now feels too big for me.
    07-02-11 12:49 AM
    I personally don't think Blackberrys are big phones - they are actually on the smaller side compared to other devices. But I personally hate big screens. I think the size of the classic Blackberry design is perfect for me and it's why I use a 9780
    07-02-11 01:30 AM
    I don't know bout you guys but I think the torch's size is just nice and comfortable.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    07-02-11 01:32 AM
    The 9700 is the perfect form size for a cell phone IMO. Not to big, not to small, just right.

I will be getting a 9900 one day to try out.

I liked the 9000.

I don't have a BB PB or any tablet for that matter. Have no need for one. Looks nice, just not something I currently need.

I couldn't stand the size of my 8100 after going bigger. I also didn't like the size of my buddies Droid X, which was huge. Seems most smartphones are going this way though.

07-02-11 09:52 AM
    [QUOTE=SaMaster14;
    Or, if you are looking for a current phone, the Style or Pearl3G...[/QUOTE]

I agree here, try the Pearl it sounds like what you might be looking for.
    07-02-11 01:30 PM
    I do miss my Pearl sometimes, it was a cool little phone. Screen was tough for using a map program though. Not sure how Twitter looks on it.
    07-02-11 03:41 PM
    Great topic!
    I have really enjoyed using my Torch and World phones over the past several years ... My phone instantly became more of a data conduit and a phone rather than a computer ... I want a smaller smart phone.
    BlackBerries are not only functional, they're elegant. (I already see them as small smart phones.)

Last edited by T�nis; 07-02-11 at 03:44 PM.
    07-02-11 03:42 PM
    Get an HP Veer. It's tiny.
    Seriously. You want small? The veer is the smallest smart phone I have ever seen. Its like a micro smart phone.
    07-02-11 04:23 PM
    Seriously. You want small? The veer is the smallest smart phone I have ever seen. Its like a micro smart phone.
    Yeah, and here's something on that: &categoryId=6452]HP Veer - black (AT&T) - Smartphones - CNET Reviews

07-02-11 07:28 PM
    You've captured my position on this precisely. Touchscreen phones are too small to be an effective computer. I never could really read PDF, DOC or Excel attachments effectively. Typing with the touchscreen keypad was imprecise and slower than a physical keyboard. And the phone's browser was always a limiting factor. Never quite enough. My Playbook has replaced all of that and more. My phone is now just a conduit to my data. If I don't have my Playbook with me I can still access everything, but the Playbook makes it all of it truly usable and effective.
    when reading a PDF just go to the menu left key and hit word wrap it brings the words up plenty big enough to read.
    07-02-11 07:39 PM
    I don't know bout you guys but I think the torch's size is just nice and comfortable.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    Agreed! Especially going without a case and using just the holster. Perfect combo
    07-02-11 07:49 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD