Hey everyone,

I've had the International Unlimited Data Plan with AT&T for 6 years. Anywhere in the world I've been and used my blackberry up to 10 months overseas and it doesn't cost me an extra penny. This plan exists only for the grandpas who got them when it was created. No longer available for new customers I guess I'm very lucky. This is the reason why I still have a blackberry. I've been thinking about getting a playbook but I have a question:

Would I be able to use my above mentioned plan with the playbook?

Thanks
    06-27-11 12:57 PM
    There's two answers.

1. A playbook is WIFI only currently, which of course has no impact on your AT&T data plan.

2. If you bridge it to your blackberry then you will be able to access BBM and the Internet via Bridge Browser through your cellphones data plan. So incase, yes you can use the playbook via the blackberry bridge to use the plan.
    06-27-11 01:04 PM
    of course you can use the wifi playbook anywhere, but if you are asking about tethering I have bad news for you. Unless you have the tethering option already added on your account, you will be forced to give up your unlimited plan and buy a plan with tethering and a capped amount. I think 30 bucks a month gets you tethering option, and 5gb of data (no international). If you don't want to give up your plan, wait for the 3g\4g if you need cellular connectivity.

addendum: ATT will allow you to use bridge browser, but that is only for browsing you can't use apps that need data while doing this.
    06-27-11 01:06 PM
    I have the same plan, one the reason the bridge app was so attractive to me. And no if you purchase a playbook with a 3g/4g radio they will more than likely put you on a tiered program. Additionally I have been told by ATT that if I changed anything to plan I would lose my grandfather status, ie. adding tethering.
    Interista69 likes this.
    06-27-11 01:07 PM
    of course you can use the wifi playbook anywhere, but if you are asking about tethering I have bad news for you. Unless you have the tethering option already added on your account, you will be forced to give up your unlimited plan and buy a plan with tethering and a capped amount. I think 30 bucks a month gets you tethering option, and 5gb of data (no international). If you don't want to give up your plan, wait for the 3g\4g if you need cellular connectivity.

addendum: ATT will allow you to use bridge browser, but that is only for browsing you can't use apps that need data while doing this.
    Did ATT approve the bridge app without me knowing it?
    06-27-11 01:08 PM
    if its a grandfathered tethering plan, then yes, ur good to go. they only have a 4gb limit tethering plan now....even if ur forced to get that, i doubt ull miss the unlimited one that much unless u do lots of media downloading

for bridge, ur set either way
    Last edited by uci2ci; 06-27-11 at 01:12 PM.
    06-27-11 01:09 PM
    Theoretically you should be able to bridge and use the bridge browser without worry, but AT&T seem to have some issues with the Bridge, which comes down to not being able to rape a custome I'll wager.

I don't know if they're technically able to see that you're using the bridge browser. Just be aware that they don't support it just yet.

Hey everyone,

I've had the International Unlimited Data Plan with AT&T for 6 years. Anywhere in the world I've been and used my blackberry up to 10 months overseas and it doesn't cost me an extra penny. This plan exists only for the grandpas who got them when it was created. No longer available for new customers I guess I'm very lucky. This is the reason why I still have a blackberry. I've been thinking about getting a playbook but I have a question:

Would I be able to use my above mentioned plan with the playbook?

Thanks
    06-27-11 01:11 PM
    Theoretically you should be able to bridge and use the bridge browser without worry, but AT&T seem to have some issues with the Bridge, which comes down to not being able to rape a custome I'll wager.

I don't know if they're technically able to see that you're using the bridge browser. Just be aware that they don't support it just yet.
    They can't see you use the bridge browser, there are no service books attached to it so the only way they would know is if they stalked you or you told them.

Think of it this way, ATT does not know what handsfree bluetooth headset you use.
    06-27-11 01:15 PM
    but AT&T seem to have some issues with the Bridge.
    No issues with bridge here.
    06-27-11 01:20 PM
    Lol. No, I'm not saying the bridge has issues, I'm saying that AT&T seem to have "objections" or "concerns" about the bridge & is taking their sweet time approving it, which I imagine comes down to wanting to charge for it.

No issues with bridge here.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-27-11 01:27 PM
    That's good to know. I'll bet its giving AT&T fits having to allow that for free, at least until the pressure RIM to notifiy them when the bridge browse is being used, wouldn't put that past AT&T! Assuming of course that RIM can tell.

They can't see you use the bridge browser, there are no service books attached to it so the only way they would know is if they stalked you or you told them.

Think of it this way, ATT does not know what handsfree bluetooth headset you use.
    06-27-11 01:30 PM
    That's good to know. I'll bet its giving AT&T fits having to allow that for free, at least until the pressure RIM to notifiy them when the bridge browse is being used, wouldn't put that past AT&T! Assuming of course that RIM can tell.

I would say even RIM can't tell as long as you download the app here and not off app world, but I can't say for sure. Also, for as much as RIM needs the carriers right now, I would bet for as bad as ATT made them look during the launch of the playbook if they demanded to know from RIM who had it they would get a big middle finger from RIM. Or at the very the non-answer India always get, "There is no one for us to do this, but we'll look into it."
    Revord likes this.
    06-27-11 01:39 PM
    I hope you're right. The bridge was the best thing about my PlayBook. When I do buy another PlayBook the AT&T / tmobile merger may have been approved which means I'll have to live with AT&T, if they're charging for the bridge I'd be pissed.

I would say even RIM can't tell as long as you download the app here and not off app world, but I can't say for sure. Also, for as much as RIM needs the carriers right now, I would bet for as bad as ATT made them look during the launch of the playbook if they demanded to know from RIM who had it they would get a big middle finger from RIM. Or at the very the non-answer India always get, "There is no one for us to do this, but we'll look into it."
    06-27-11 01:46 PM
    BUMP...

i am going to Japan for 2 months. I have the unlimited international blackberry data plan on ATT...i live in canada and am on rogers, i only pop in the ATT sim when i travel...so i'm a little out of the loop on ATT and bridging to playbook...

ATT finally approved bridge, but can i use the Bridge Browser for free? Or do i have to pay extra for tethering? What parts of bridge are free, just bbm and email?

And finally, if i Bridge using my international data plan, as someone earlier posted, i don't think ATT can tell right? Along the same lines, how could they tell if i was using Bridge browser? maybe from the sheer amount of data being consumed perhaps...
    11-25-11 05:22 PM
    ATT finally approved bridge, but can i use the Bridge Browser for free? Or do i have to pay extra for tethering? What parts of bridge are free, just bbm and email?
    AT&T approved Bridge, but if you're on AT&T and install Bridge from AppWorld you get a special version of Bridge that lets them track it like it was tethering data. There's links on this forum to install the standard Bridge which AT&T can't track. Additionally, if you're in Canada, with the Rogers SIM in your phone, and have a Rogers branded phone then I'm pretty sure the Bridge you download from AppWorld will be the standard (not restricted) version.
    11-25-11 05:35 PM
    If you run into any problems, the OTA (download from PHONE) is available for your OS at

rroyy.com

I recommend navigating the site on the computer so see how it is layed out, then visit and download using phone.
    11-25-11 06:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD