by far this the most annoying thing i've ever seen on my BB.

when your battery gets too low, the phone automatically disconnects radio signal (dropping the call if u were on one).. i've tried manually enabling wireless- same message. yet, all the unimportant stuff still works, camera, media etc.

when you plug the phone in, the wireless is not immediately turned on either, you have to wait until the battery charges to about 20% i believe

is there anyway to bypass or disable this annoying crap?
    08-17-08 04:04 PM
    on the curves with the updated 4.5 os, you could always have your radio on. that being said, im assuming with the next os for the pearl, they will have that same option until then there is nothing you can do other than dont let your berry get that low.
    08-17-08 04:20 PM
    truly disappointing
    08-17-08 06:16 PM
    This has happened to me once. I just charge it every night. I need to get a vehicle charger and maybe a cradle for work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-08 06:28 PM
    The radio is the most power consuming part of a cell phone especially when on a call. Consider also that users of BBs use them for more than just a cell phone that shutting off the radio as a precaution to letting the battery run to nothing so that you can still use all the other functions of the BB. Yes it is annoying if you are on a call or need to make a call. The best solution is to not let the battery run down to that point if possible. Even with 4.5 and being able to keep the radio on at 10% and lower if you are on a call or something that is using the radio in no time you will run out of power and the BB will power off until you charge the battery. At 10% battery you only have about 20 minutes or less of radio use.

08-18-08 12:46 AM
    Well don't be disappointed if any of you are going to get the Bold. It does not happen if your battery runs down
    Last edited by mobiman; 08-18-08 at 12:55 AM.
    08-18-08 12:52 AM
    well just try to use the 4.5.0.xx, the can turned on radio signal when you want.
    08-20-08 08:37 AM
    The radio is the most power consuming part of a cell phone especially when on a call. Consider also that users of BBs use them for more than just a cell phone that shutting off the radio as a precaution to letting the battery run to nothing so that you can still use all the other functions of the BB. Yes it is annoying if you are on a call or need to make a call. The best solution is to not let the battery run down to that point if possible. Even with 4.5 and being able to keep the radio on at 10% and lower if you are on a call or something that is using the radio in no time you will run out of power and the BB will power off until you charge the battery. At 10% battery you only have about 20 minutes or less of radio use.

most persons use their BB for calls and emails. when the radio signal is turned off neither works.... yet all the useless stuff works... media, camera etc.. so in escence, when your BB battery gets low.. you are left with what? a RAZR?
    08-20-08 04:46 PM
    With 4.5, I can't use the radio until it reaches back up to 15% >__>
    08-27-08 11:15 PM
    i NEVER charge my phone until the battery is completely dead, and when the radio turns off at 15% I have to sit there with a wanna-be ipod for a few hours at least while the battery slows wears itself out the remaining 15% so i can charge it, usually when my old phone would get low i would just dial my house phone and put it on speaker for the 5 minutes it took or whatever before it died, but with this stupid feature on my blackberry i'm left without a phone for several hours while i wait for it to die, even if i turn the music on and the volume up high it still takes literally hours to kill the battery, this is ridiculous and easily my least favorite feature. ATT NEEDS to come out with a 4.5 OS so that I don't have to worry about this anymore.
    08-29-08 01:47 PM
    Get an extended battery

08-29-08 01:50 PM
    Get an extended battery

then i'll just have to wait longer for it to die when it gets to 15% lol
    08-29-08 01:56 PM
    i NEVER charge my phone until the battery is completely dead, and when the radio turns off at 15% I have to sit there with a wanna-be ipod for a few hours at least while the battery slows wears itself out the remaining 15% so i can charge it, usually when my old phone would get low i would just dial my house phone and put it on speaker for the 5 minutes it took or whatever before it died, but with this stupid feature on my blackberry i'm left without a phone for several hours while i wait for it to die, even if i turn the music on and the volume up high it still takes literally hours to kill the battery, this is ridiculous and easily my least favorite feature. ATT NEEDS to come out with a 4.5 OS so that I don't have to worry about this anymore.
    Why do you do this? This is not necessary. You can charge your phone whenever you want, and in fact, it is recommended that you don't drain it to zero power left.
    08-29-08 01:59 PM
    Why do you do this? This is not necessary. You can charge your phone whenever you want, and in fact, it is recommended that you don't drain it to zero power left.
    recommended by whom?

every piece of info i've ever read about rechargeable batteries is it is absolutely best to drain them all the way and charge them all the way every time you use them.

do you have a source that says it's bad to do that?

link please if you do.
    08-29-08 04:44 PM
    08-29-08 04:51 PM
    Ahh... gotta hate that message. I have not seen that for a loooong time!

Oh, the wonders of OS 4.5!!
    08-29-08 05:04 PM

Thank you!!!

sorry i was living in the past.. lol
    08-29-08 05:29 PM
    Thank you!!!

sorry i was living in the past.. lol
    No problem, my friend - that's what CrackBerry is for!
    08-29-08 05:31 PM
    My BB is fully charged and I'm still unable to go to my Browser due to the "low radio" message. What am I doing wrong?
    09-01-08 12:37 PM
    My BB is fully charged and I'm still unable to go to my Browser due to the "low radio" message. What am I doing wrong?
    signal strength
    09-01-08 02:59 PM
    Definately not a low battery turned off radio. It sounds like a compaint that the signal is too low. I've never had that happen with the browser but I do see the error message when using GPS apps indoors at times.

09-01-08 11:49 PM
    I am totally new to the whole BB experience - just got the curve last Monday. I must say not being able to use the phone as a phone is very distressing. The obvious solution is to just not let the charge get low but it happens. In fact in the last week its happened twice. I don't yet have all the gadgets, car charger etc so when it gets low I only have the charge I have plugged up by my bed to rely on. It REALLY sucks. When it gets low (it has twice in the last week) I'm without a phone until I get home. Everyone has posted advice about how to make emergency calls but how about non -emergent "emergency" calls. For instance I just left my parents house - my mom expected me to call when I got home to let her know I made it safely. Once home I had to plug my BB in and wait . . . and wait . . . .15 mins. I only live 5 away from my mom. That equates it take 4x the amnt of time my mom expected me to be home in. She's panicking and trying to call me to make sure I'm alright - I can't answer so she panics more. Its a mess. I have been so excited to get a BB and this I must say is one very fatal flaw - no matter how "logical" it may seem. Its a PHONE!!! My old phones when they got low would disable things like the camera - who needs those in an emergency. At best the BB could turn the phone back on when plugged in AND it could do so automatically. The first time it happened I spent like 2 hours trying to figure out what the **** radio off meant and if it was related to why I couldn't make calls. I am very dissapointed in this feature. I want the BB bold - I have 30 days to return my curve . . . think the bold will hit Sprint by then? Hee Hee
    09-15-08 03:26 AM
    In the last week I had let my battery run real low not intentionally but it made for a good test case. I am running 4.5.0.77 and it didn't shut the radio off until the BB indicated 0% left. I plugged it in when I got home and I think I was able to turn the radio back on at like 3%. I think that may have been about 5 minutes or less on the charger.
    09-15-08 11:10 AM
    I am totally new to the whole BB experience - just got the curve last Monday. I must say not being able to use the phone as a phone is very distressing. The obvious solution is to just not let the charge get low but it happens. In fact in the last week its happened twice. I don't yet have all the gadgets, car charger etc so when it gets low I only have the charge I have plugged up by my bed to rely on. It REALLY sucks. When it gets low (it has twice in the last week) I'm without a phone until I get home. Everyone has posted advice about how to make emergency calls but how about non -emergent "emergency" calls. For instance I just left my parents house - my mom expected me to call when I got home to let her know I made it safely. Once home I had to plug my BB in and wait . . . and wait . . . .15 mins. I only live 5 away from my mom. That equates it take 4x the amnt of time my mom expected me to be home in. She's panicking and trying to call me to make sure I'm alright - I can't answer so she panics more. Its a mess. I have been so excited to get a BB and this I must say is one very fatal flaw - no matter how "logical" it may seem. Its a PHONE!!! My old phones when they got low would disable things like the camera - who needs those in an emergency. At best the BB could turn the phone back on when plugged in AND it could do so automatically. The first time it happened I spent like 2 hours trying to figure out what the **** radio off meant and if it was related to why I couldn't make calls. I am very dissapointed in this feature. I want the BB bold - I have 30 days to return my curve . . . think the bold will hit Sprint by then? Hee Hee
    my thoughts EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! VERY disappointing RIM
    09-16-08 08:00 PM
    I didn't have this prob till recently, and I have had my pearl for a year. When it happened, I actually jumped the gun and wiped my device, then installed updated handheld software from att.com/bbdownloads. Then restored my device. Of course this didn't fix my low battery which was the original culprit.

So here is what I did, I plugged my BB Pearl into my laptop and once it started charging I dialed a number, as a result it asked me if I wanted to turn my radio on. So I answered yes. My radio was on and I was able to make calls. Of course I left it to charge.

I know that it can be frustrating, but as a Advanced Network Services rep (all i do is troubleshoot data connections for smart phones) for At&t I can honestly say that there isn't a more reliable phone than a blackberry.

Hope this helps.
    09-27-08 12:34 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD