So I have been a Verizon user for 11 years, I have stayed loyal due to their "Customer Service" and always making a wrong a right. However, now they have gone too far with my business's unlimited data plan.

I go to Europe 3x a year for 1-2 months at a time, I switch to their international unlimited data plan and tend to consumer 140+ MB as I use google maps for directions and BBM / Whatsapp. Now however it costs,
    $100 for 70mb. That is INSANE, I have no other recourse other than to end my contract with Verizon or find another provider in the meantime. Of course I am not happy to do this. However, I do not want to get royally screwed when I am traveling with a $400 bill.

What are you guys doing while you are away, what are you going to do. The only way I see is for me to cancel my account and stick it where it hurts. Unfortunately, we all know VZA most likely does not care and will just continue what they are doing regardless of what we say.
    lophreaque likes this.
    06-24-11 04:20 PM
    Why not unlock your device and use a prepaid SIM with BIS from a European carrier?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-11 04:24 PM
    The problem with that is that I would not receive the SMS text messages from the US which is vital for my business. and to use a BIS from an EU carrier requires a contract.
    06-24-11 04:28 PM
    Just curious as to why one would expect their US phone service provider to provide them with a "economical" data solution in another country.
    06-24-11 04:49 PM
    I'm not sure what business your in, but when we are required to travel, or put forth any outstanding costs other then our service itself, it gets charged back to the customer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-11 08:43 PM
    I've always used local sims. Take a gsm phone with you and get a local sim. I get one with unlimited data but next to none of anything else since I won't use it. It ends up being really cheap.

Sent from my VZW Thunderbolt.
    06-24-11 09:56 PM
    I've always used local sims. Take a gsm phone with you and get a local sim. I get one with unlimited data but next to none of anything else since I won't use it. It ends up being really cheap.

Who do you usually use.

Motorcycle Mama Just curious as to why one would expect their US phone service provider to provide them with a "economical" data solution in another country.
    You make absolutely no sense. This argument is flawed, for if I were to walk in a store and say, hey I need to buy your product and would like to secure an upgrade for international service the first week in July. Should I do that now or then. My reply is, "Don't worry just come back 2 weeks before you go we can do that plan for you no problem."

Then you come back and are told, "Sorry you need to pay $100 for 70mb..." Am I wrong to expect for their word to be honored?
    06-25-11 04:27 PM
    Words mean nothing, unless it's sign and in writing which even in that case they can say that that offer is not available any more. IMO
    06-25-11 04:41 PM
    Good luck shopping around any of the other US carrier's international data plans. As crappy as VZW's has gotten, it's still less expensive than AT&T. I don't even know if Sprint offers a new one yet, and T-Mobile's rates are elusive. You can get good rates upon activation, but otherwise their per-MB pricing is way, way expensive.
    06-25-11 05:01 PM
    Good luck shopping around any of the other US carrier's international data plans. As crappy as VZW's has gotten, it's still less expensive than AT&T.
    I was about to say the same thing. It's odd though, I've had a few people travel lately and we still get the Unlimited BB data for 20 bucks extra
    06-25-11 05:08 PM
    I normally go to the UK so my favourite carrier to use there is tmobile UK. I can get a free SIM for 10 pounds that comes with 60 international minutes that I can use to call back home. Add another 5 pounds or so, and I have unlimited data for a month. I use GV for texting back home.

Awesome deal, IMO.

06-26-11 10:57 AM
    Now however it costs,
    $100 for 70mb.
    Is this the same as the plan they used to prorate at about $15 a week?
    06-27-11 09:44 PM
    Is this the same as the plan they used to prorate at about $15 a week?
    No, that's for international data.
    The 150MB was the $15.
    06-27-11 09:55 PM
    Can you forward SMSs to another number somehow? I was thinking if you get a local SIM with a decent amount of data and use Google Voice but use it over 2/3G, in theory you could still text.
    06-29-11 08:17 AM
    Just get a second GSM phone with a local data plan. You should find something fairly cheap - and you will have a second phone as a backup. That's what I do (even as I have unlocked my Verizon BB).

You can buy a 7" tablet for that as well, works nicer for navigation as well. I wonder if you can tether a playbook from some cheap used local blackberry.
    Last edited by Karamba; 06-29-11 at 06:38 PM.
    06-29-11 06:35 PM
    Can you forward SMSs to another number somehow? I was thinking if you get a local SIM with a decent amount of data and use Google Voice but use it over 2/3G, in theory you could still text.
    This is exactly what I do. I posterior my GV number facebook and tell my family and friends to text me there. I send and receive texts for free over the data plan. Works everytime and there are no extra charges.

07-01-11 09:58 AM
    Also I did some research and if you have an Android phone you can use VOIP essentially to call from GV using some other DID service (Google around for this) and if you have a 3G connection it should work good in theory.
    07-01-11 12:29 PM
    I guess it really is like this with BIS, then. I've been trying to use a prepaid card in my VZW 9650 in Germany, and even though Vodafone has such a plan (roughly 10� for 200 MB per month; slower data rates after that), I couldn't get my 9650 to connect to BIS while on the plan. I created a thread about this, too, but it looks like unless I have a phone model that's already supported by the Vodafone network, I can't bring an unlocked BB and put a prepaid card on it.

Either that or the Vodafone reps needed to register my phone with their network, but in your case, I'm not sure if this plan applies there!
    07-05-11 04:29 AM
    You gotta make sure the PIN is released I think from Verizon and free to use.
    07-05-11 01:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD