06-24-11 01:06 PM
    I have to wonder what they want them to do with the form factor? I mean really what else are you going to do with a full qwerty. I guess fashion over form.
    06-24-11 01:17 PM
    Nice find! Thanks!!
    06-24-11 01:23 PM
    Yeah, I don't understand "RIM has been making the same device for years now" becuase, there are no major differences between HTC, Moto, LG and Samsung touchscreen slabs!
    Last edited by Detective M Downs; 06-24-11 at 01:51 PM.
    06-24-11 01:32 PM
    Yeah, I don't understand "RIM has been making the same device for years now" becuase, there are no majors differences between HTC, Moto, LG and Samsung touchscreen slabs!
    It's because they don't like RIM or don't like their devices in the first place, which makes the point moot.

If apple releases a similar phone design with slight changes for years they won't complain. They are too dumb to realize what they are actually complaining about, which is the fact that they don't particularly like the design in the first place (or the form factor), not that it's a similar design reused, because all of the major OEMs have always done this and continue to do this...
    06-24-11 01:49 PM
    why does no one have sample video from the device! i want to see the quality of the camera.
    06-24-11 01:54 PM
    They made the point that it is the same camera as the Torch 2 and they did a sample video from that device so you can just check that one out.

As for the hardware, I too, find it ridiculous that they're saying RIM has built the same device for a long time. They actually build radically different devices compared to the iPhone...there's really no 2 ways about that.

Other things I'm pleased to find from this post is that the "back bezel", if you will, surrounding the carbon-fibre looking backplate is that soft-touch rubber like what we have on the PlayBook. This device will probably feel wicked in the hand (T.W.S.S)

The screen looks insanely responsive, and opening apps (check the video posted yesterday and watch it in 1080p) looks faster than the iPhone.

I don't care if the OS is basically OS6 except the performance is insane...that's what I want in the first place. Plus NFC and touchscreen and the best keyboard ever (Engadget biffed it when they said the keyboard is the same as the original Bold...it's 6% larger, RIM has made that abundantly clear) and you have the BlackBerry most power-users have been dying for.

Oh and full touchscreen phones are garbage in my opinion.

...Did I mention I'll be buying one of these when they come out?
    johnmarki, ritesh and mechanic_joe like this.
    06-24-11 02:07 PM
    Yeah, I don't understand "RIM has been making the same device for years now" becuase, there are no major differences between HTC, Moto, LG and Samsung touchscreen slabs!
    ...and all the tablets are "1280 x 800, Nvidia Tegra 2, 16 GB Memory" blah blah blah. It's really one device manufactured (and designed, tested, marketed, distributed, etc.) by multiple companies... which is a huge wasteful duplication of effort.

Imagine the cost savings if Google just put together a spec and companies would brand it and then install their own software layer to add value / differentiation... cuz the state of the art for Android devices is all the same internals with slightly different form factors or shapes or case designs (amongst a handful of processor / screen resolution / form factor combinations)

It's not a sustainable business model for companies in competition with one another... it will all come down to who can manufacture and market their version of the Android devices cheapest.

RIM at least has a unique value proposition. Despite the similarity of the devices in their product line, they don't have 5 to 10 competitors putting out almost the exactly same device with the same specs and operating system.
    Last edited by lorax1284; 06-24-11 at 02:12 PM.
    06-24-11 02:08 PM
    It's not a sustainable business model for companies in competition with one another... it will all come down to who can manufacture and market their version of the Android devices cheapest.
    This is one of the reasons why they end up skinning the OS (which also fragments the OS updates) regardless of if it makes the experience better or worse, there's no other real differentiation...
    06-24-11 02:42 PM
    I hope we'll be able to change up the housing with the 9900.
    06-24-11 02:52 PM
    They made the point that it is the same camera as the Torch 2 and they did a sample video from that device so you can just check that one out.

As for the hardware, I too, find it ridiculous that they're saying RIM has built the same device for a long time. They actually build radically different devices compared to the iPhone...there's really no 2 ways about that.

Other things I'm pleased to find from this post is that the "back bezel", if you will, surrounding the carbon-fibre looking backplate is that soft-touch rubber like what we have on the PlayBook. This device will probably feel wicked in the hand (T.W.S.S)

The screen looks insanely responsive, and opening apps (check the video posted yesterday and watch it in 1080p) looks faster than the iPhone.

I don't care if the OS is basically OS6 except the performance is insane...that's what I want in the first place. Plus NFC and touchscreen and the best keyboard ever (Engadget biffed it when they said the keyboard is the same as the original Bold...it's 6% larger, RIM has made that abundantly clear) and you have the BlackBerry most power-users have been dying for.

Oh and full touchscreen phones are garbage in my opinion.

...Did I mention I'll be buying one of these when they come out?
    ^^^ This. Every bit of it. I cannot use a touch-screen-only phone. I like how BBOS works as it is. Just make it faster, baby.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-11 02:56 PM
    It's because they don't like RIM or don't like their devices in the first place, which makes the point moot.

If apple releases a similar phone design with slight changes for years they won't complain. They are too dumb to realize what they are actually complaining about, which is the fact that they don't particularly like the design in the first place (or the form factor), not that it's a similar design reused, because all of the major OEMs have always done this and continue to do this...
    So True. I get sick of seeing it all over the tech blogs all the time...
    06-24-11 02:57 PM
    So engadget has their hands on it. It's clearly one kick *** device but listen to dude downplay it or looks for something to say about it. I have not yet spoke on this but I swear engadget is complete apple fans.
    06-24-11 03:27 PM
    Not sure why everyone is so quick to refer to the iPhone. It has had some changes over the years. But even if it hadn't, does two wrongs make a right? I don't believe so. The other determining factor is the iPhone is quite successful, in particular the most successful smartphone in the history of them.
    Back to the point, some of the criticism of RIM is totally deserved. Personally I love the 9900. And think it's rather sexy. Because I like it doesn't change the fact it's based off a device that's on it's 4th Generation. And looks the same.
    Take Samsung for instance. Galaxy S series. They release 3 devices with the exact same internals, but all three looked different. The new Galaxy S II looks different. Look at the Droid Charge. Nothing else looks the same.

Part of the criticism leveled on RIM is well deserved. Hence why there are major changes underway internally and you're going to be seeing some new devices that don't much resemble anything put out by RIM before. They get the 9650 looked like the 9700. And the 9780 looked like the 9650 & 9780. So on and so forth.
    On the flip side of that coin, a lot of the criticism is just people that love to kick someone while their down, although not as "down" as they would like. And it's not going to get any better for a while. It's just something we have to deal with. It's sink or swim for RIM, and trust me, the new course has not only been charted & started to sail already.
    06-24-11 03:46 PM
    Some of you guys are saying things that honestly couldn't be more incredibly wrong lol. I understand getting tired of sites hating on RIM but come on, be rational.

Anyway like I said, looks hot.
    06-24-11 04:24 PM
    There's nothing wrong with not liking the looks of the device. Form factor and appeal is subjective. The problem lies with the fact that that is not how they present it at all...
    06-24-11 04:35 PM
    Changing the names on some of the devices probably would be a good thing IMO. They might look the same as before but a new name like the "touch" instead of storm can do wonders for their entire product line
    06-24-11 04:40 PM
    There's nothing wrong with not liking the looks of the device. Form factor and appeal is subjective. The problem lies with the fact that that is not how they present it at all...
    I think the phone looks pretty damn good hardware wise but lets not pretend that RIM kind of hasn't released the same phone for a long time. Wasn't the Torch the only real departure after 10 give or take iterations. And even though they rag on that in the article he clearly says at the end that it's a step in the right direction, and he mentions at the start that it's the one fans have been waiting for.

I think we're selectively complaining. Also people need to stop comparing the iPhone with the Bold. It's nonsensical. Compare the torch and stuff to that but makes no sense with this one.

Anyway as for the phone, I like the responsiveness. It's apple/windows phone level. Much smoother than Android (shame on google for not getting this right yet).
    bigbamboo likes this.
    06-24-11 04:41 PM
    The bold looked quite a bit different from the previous Curve models other than the fact that it was a qwerty layout.

The storm looked completely different than all previous.

The torch looked completely different than all previous (including the storm).

The Curves in general look fairly different than any Bold series.

Again, I think people are complaining due to RIM (and possibly the naming convention to a lesser extent), not due to the phones themselves. HTC reuses the same design like crazy...
    06-24-11 04:47 PM
    yes HTC does reuse stuff but it all has a different name for the most part. Which is why it doesnt catch as much slack
    06-24-11 04:55 PM
    The bold looked quite a bit different from the previous Curve models other than the fact that it was a qwerty layout.

The storm looked completely different than all previous.

The torch looked completely different than all previous (including the storm).

The Curves in general look fairly different than any Bold series.

Again, I think people are complaining due to RIM (and possibly the naming convention to a lesser extent), not due to the phones themselves. HTC reuses the same design like crazy...
    I definitely agree about HTC. Same with all Android handset makers, there are like 100 and they all look just about the same and it's getting old, and more people should point that out but of course RIM is the hot topic so they rag on that any time they can.

But I think we're reaching when we say the curves/bolds are fairly different. Same basic design concept. But again, I agree with what he says at the end of the article, this bold is a step in the right direction for sure.

What I see in the future, and what I hope the future looks like is an all touch device running QNX with high specs, and one bold device like this one, maybe slightly bigger screen running QNX as well, scrap the rest. Or keep a Curve line as a budget model, but yeah scrap anything but those imo.
    06-24-11 05:07 PM
    Yeah, again it's subjective as to what is "very different". The iphones make minor cosmetic changes imo...

That said the storm and torch were obviously different and the 9000 was a departure from what had been released prior.
    06-24-11 05:28 PM
    Rim makes beautiful devices.
    The problem is the software. Even the new OS is years behind the all other OS out now.

IMO, anything that kiss Rim , it will be the software and not OS.
    They should make phones for other OS.
    06-24-11 05:38 PM
    I like the look of the phone, except how the bezel is super thick on the front. Just my opinion.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-11 05:39 PM
    Just a thought.... Engadget is a well know site. Since they have a review unit could it be a date push up can happen? I don't see rim snatching down the video being posted. I'm really hoping the release date gets pushed up to July sometime.
    06-24-11 05:48 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD