Before I put my OtterBox on my playbook, I noticed that if I used my playbook a lot, it would get a little warm at times. I was wondering if the Otterbox would add to that and maybe cause long term damage to my playbook. any thoughts?
    06-23-11 11:43 PM
    I noticenthat my playbook gets pretty warm too when i use it for a while. not sure about damage
    06-24-11 01:33 AM
    love my otterbox, but just wondering if I traded one potential type of damage for another. mixed emotions..
    06-24-11 02:32 AM
    Getting warm also on mine, circle around the logo at the back ...
    06-24-11 05:12 AM
    I did experience the playbook getting warm before? But i too have the Otterbox defender case,and haven't felt it getting warm? Although we paid so much for the playbook? I just wouldn't want to experience the dropping of my playbook w/o my protection case being on it....
    06-24-11 07:03 AM
    Yes, also happened in my PlayBook
    06-24-11 07:05 AM
    Don't know about the playbook but my 2 year old hp laptop gets down right hot since new. Still works fine.
    06-24-11 07:14 AM
    Well, there is no issue whatsoever.
    Every microchip or computer gets warm - where there is "power", there is heat - physical reaction.

The motherboard of the PB is exactly located in the middle, at the logo, and therefore gets warm - as there is not ventilation holes, it seems all good for RIM - it does not get too warm.

Eventually, just a heads-up, every computer/tablet etc. would shut down if it got too warm. And it could not "break" from that.
    06-24-11 07:34 AM
    You wouldn't want to overheat the processor, but the lack of any real vents makes me think it should be fine. Those stats should be monitered by the OS anyways. I'm guessing it shuts down if it were to actually overheat.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-11 07:35 AM
    Yep I was testing some things on my laptop that gets hot anyway. Well the software was intensive and the laptop got so hot it shutdown. Let it sit a few minutes and turned it back on and it works as before and still does.
    06-24-11 07:39 AM
    Don't know about the playbook but my 2 year old hp laptop gets down right hot since new. Still works fine.
    Was going to say the same thing. When Im sitting there with my laptop on my lap - my legs actually get pretty warm to the point where its annoying.

I have had the OEM journal looking case on my PB since day 1 so I cant vouch for the heat issue however if there was an overheating issue it probably would have presented itself by now. Cant imagine an otterbox would cause that much of a problem though. If the PB is configured like a PC it should shut down if it becomes too hot - not sure about that though.
    06-24-11 07:41 AM
    my xoom did it, my ipad 2 did it, my samsung galaxy tab does it, and my pb does it. its heat given off by the cpu, batteries, and gpu. electronics produce heat, if you have a desktop just take the side off it and put your hand on the heat sink. i bet it hot. our cell phones produce heat no matter what type you have, some have better ways of getting rid of it then others. its normal i wouldnt worry about it so much.

06-24-11 08:01 AM
    I use mine A LOT and I have never had a problem with it getting OVERLY warm. Sure it gets a little warm, but nothing of note, nothing that in any way concerns me.
    06-24-11 11:57 AM
    electronics are made to handle quite a lot of heat, if you look at most graphics cards, on a hot day they can run close to 100 degrees c, its bad for the card over long periods, but it'll still run

only time ive really seen the pb heat up is when ive been multitasking and had the charger plugged in, but even then it was only warm to the touch in the middle

personally id rather have the case protection than risk going without for what small difference in temperature it'll make
    06-24-11 01:23 PM
    Well, there is no issue whatsoever.
    Every microchip or computer gets warm - where there is "power", there is heat - physical reaction.

The motherboard of the PB is exactly located in the middle, at the logo, and therefore gets warm - as there is not ventilation holes, it seems all good for RIM - it does not get too warm.

Eventually, just a heads-up, every computer/tablet etc. would shut down if it got too warm. And it could not "break" from that.
    Are you kidding anyone? Of course the parts get heated but they're designed to operate without damage only within certain ranges of heat.

This is a perfectly valid concern... called overheating. Computers and thus logically tablets do shut down or break because of overheating.

I am considering an otterbox but now I am having second thoughts.
    06-24-11 02:02 PM
    its get hot when its on the charger for a long period of time.otherwise its manageable.
    06-24-11 08:33 PM
    have pint, it always helps.
    06-24-11 08:43 PM
    thanks everyone for your responses. some of you compared the playbook to laptops and desktops which both have cooling fans and vents. the tablet doesn't. that's why I was asking the question. just wanna make sure my investment doesn't end up being a brick. lol
    06-24-11 09:25 PM
    thanks everyone for your responses. some of you compared the playbook to laptops and desktops which both have cooling fans and vents. the tablet doesn't. that's why I was asking the question. just wanna make sure my investment doesn't end up being a brick. lol
    You should be ok. Good luck
    06-25-11 04:21 PM
    Thanks. Gonna keep using the otterbox. Love it.

06-25-11 04:26 PM
    Thanks. Gonna keep using the otterbox. Love it.
    Nice, that's really good to here. I was eye-ing that for a while but ended up with the oem journal case. It's pretty good, but I may end up picking up an otterbox anyway.
    06-25-11 04:31 PM
    Yeah. It adds some weight and bulk, but I work in concrete and steel rooms all day. Don't think I'd trust another case to protect my toy. Lol.

06-25-11 04:35 PM
    I live streamed video for 2 hours while my PB was tethered to my Torch, with my Otterbox on. Not an issue at all. Reputable cases are designed and tested with these concerns in mind.
    06-25-11 05:23 PM
    Yeah. It adds some weight and bulk, but I work in concrete and steel rooms all day. Don't think I'd trust another case to protect my toy. Lol.com
    Good call. That's always been my top choice for my berries. Except the torch. That otterbox was terrible simply because it was doomed to begin with.

I live streamed video for 2 hours while my PB was tethered to my Torch, with my Otterbox on. Not an issue at all. Reputable cases are designed and tested with these concerns in mind.
    That's good to know
    06-25-11 06:23 PM
    Are you kidding anyone? Of course the parts get heated but they're designed to operate without damage only within certain ranges of heat.

This is a perfectly valid concern... called overheating. Computers and thus logically tablets do shut down or break because of overheating.

I am considering an otterbox but now I am having second thoughts.
    I'm serious.

Modern architecture of CPUs etc. don't actually overheat to a degree where they take damage. Do you think they melt?

They just start having miscalculations occur and that leads to malfunction and that leads to shut down in modern OSs. No harm done.

If RIM left out some ventilation openings, then there is no need to worry. We don't live in the 19th century anymore, when PCs could overheat and would run until they literally burn out. And that can only happen if there is enough power. The Playbook battery is much too weak to heat up much.
    06-25-11 11:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD