RIM, you've got until this Fall to get it right!

The iPhone 5 is coming out and I'll be leaving you if you don't have a New and Functional Touch Screen phone.

I've been with you for many years, including BOTH versions of the Storm since they were released, but I'm about out of patience.

I'll be gone by the end of this year if you don't get it Right by then...
    06-23-11 09:58 AM
    I have to agree with you I love Blackberry and think that they can become huge again but not sure what has been happening these recent years. Everyone has been trying to convince me to get the iphone but i have been fighting them off. I have a free upgrade with Rogers due to an issue I had with them and have been waiting for the Blackberry 9900 but am getting tired of waiting. I RIM is delaying the 9900 cause they are perfecting it a little more then thats great but if there is another reason then that sucks.
    06-23-11 10:30 AM
    The 9900 isn't going to cut it for me as I'm a full screen kind of guy! I've got an upgrade discount coming next spring but may just pop for the full priced iPhone if I have to before that. Really torn about this, but with what's been happening, ( or NOT happening ) with RIM lately I just don't see anything worthwhile coming from them this year or next.
    06-23-11 01:45 PM
    I agree

With the plethora of accessories and lifestyle apps, not to mention the consistency of the Apple user experience I am finding it hard to remain with my trusty blackberry.

Is a new device from RIM too little to late?
    The Playbook doesn't seem to be catching .......RIM seems to be a spinning tires by not really going anywhere
    07-08-11 11:28 PM
    I too can see myself going iphone this fall. Rim has left the storm users in the dust and has forgotten about us.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-11 02:29 PM
    I'm gonna stick around for the Storm3/Monaco/Monza/Torch/9850/9860 or whatever the h$ll we're calling it today.

But I am dissapointed that the rumor mill indicates that they're delaying coming out with a 10" PlayBook. I would have jumped on that assuming it had all the PIMs by then.

Good Luck
    07-09-11 09:50 PM
    I still don't know what people are worrying about.

Everyday people in my office complain about their iphones not being able to do something. Where my 9800 can do those things.

Then they complain that their ipad can't do something the Playbook can do.

In defence of the Apple fans at work, they are not tech people and don't research their needs and requirements fully before buying something. So their disappointment of their Apple devices is because they assumed it could do stuff that it never has done and never promised it could do.

Although I suspect the sales people did say it could do that stuff.

Also whats wrong with a 7inch tablet? Why not get a laptop if you want something bigger?

The PB is awesome at what it does. It does NOT play WoW (or Eve in my case). But I have a 12inch laptop that does play Eve. The only thing my laptop does NOT do is the secure BES email stuff. But that is what my BB is for and I can remote into my work PC if required.

Some of the guys I work with do spend many days away from their desktop PC and office so the PB gives them a great compromise. That is an important word there, compromise. The PB and any other current gen tablet is not as powerful as a desktop PC. But whilst they are on the move, on a bus or aircraft, or waiting for said bus/aircraft, they are able to do ALMOST as much stuff as they do on their desktop PC.

So for their needs it is perfect. 10inches would be too big and they would start asking me for a laptop instead.

Thus I am sorry to say, but if the Apple stuff does the things you require, then that is the brand you should be buying. That sounds harsh I know, but the Storm2 does stuff. The iphone does different stuff. Some of that stuff overlaps. The stuff the Storm2 does is great for me. It does more stuff than I require.

I would still be using my Storm2 if I didn't get a free 9800. My girlfriend was using my Storm2 until she got a free Pearl 3G (which fits her hands better).

So what do people want their Storm2 to do that it currently does not do?
    07-10-11 09:20 AM

1. Netflix

2. free voice turn by turn nav

3. FAST internet browsing

4. freedom from frequent battery pulls

5. larger, higher-res screen (I'm even tired of the Surepress screen, which I initially liked.)

6. MORE APPS

7. 4G connectivity

Those are just a few of the thing that I thought of off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more that I could add, given a few minutes more of contemplation.
    joe_fresh and howarmat like this.
    07-10-11 10:49 AM
    1. Netflix

2. free voice turn by turn nav

3. FAST internet browsing

4. freedom from frequent battery pulls

5. larger, higher-res screen (I'm even tired of the Surepress screen, which I initially liked.)

6. MORE APPS

7. 4G connectivity

Those are just a few of the thing that I thought of off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more that I could add, given a few minutes more of contemplation.
    dave lately i have disagreed with the complaints, but the clicking of the surepress is really starting to get annoying. the slowness of the emails coming through as of late, the flaws in the os seem to change with every build. having to pull the battery to make the phone operate properly kind of gets annoying. Granted the iphone is not as secure as bb or not able to do some of the things that rim can do. but there are things that my ipod touch can do that rim cant. i stream a free police scanner on my pod that i get all the feeds i need. the bb free version doesnt have nearly the amount of feeds that i want to see. Rim seems to be pushing the play book that not alot of people want. i use a laptop with an air card when i am not near my office or home. out of the android devices so far the only one that catches my eyes is the x2 but still not a fan of android yet
    07-10-11 12:07 PM
    I still don't know what people are worrying about.

Everyday people in my office complain about their iphones not being able to do something. Where my 9800 can do those things.

Then they complain that their ipad can't do something the Playbook can do.

In defence of the Apple fans at work, they are not tech people and don't research their needs and requirements fully before buying something. So their disappointment of their Apple devices is because they assumed it could do stuff that it never has done and never promised it could do.

Although I suspect the sales people did say it could do that stuff.

Also whats wrong with a 7inch tablet? Why not get a laptop if you want something bigger?

The PB is awesome at what it does. It does NOT play WoW (or Eve in my case). But I have a 12inch laptop that does play Eve. The only thing my laptop does NOT do is the secure BES email stuff. But that is what my BB is for and I can remote into my work PC if required.

Some of the guys I work with do spend many days away from their desktop PC and office so the PB gives them a great compromise. That is an important word there, compromise. The PB and any other current gen tablet is not as powerful as a desktop PC. But whilst they are on the move, on a bus or aircraft, or waiting for said bus/aircraft, they are able to do ALMOST as much stuff as they do on their desktop PC.

So for their needs it is perfect. 10inches would be too big and they would start asking me for a laptop instead.

Thus I am sorry to say, but if the Apple stuff does the things you require, then that is the brand you should be buying. That sounds harsh I know, but the Storm2 does stuff. The iphone does different stuff. Some of that stuff overlaps. The stuff the Storm2 does is great for me. It does more stuff than I require.

I would still be using my Storm2 if I didn't get a free 9800. My girlfriend was using my Storm2 until she got a free Pearl 3G (which fits her hands better).

there is so many things current phones can do that a storm cant even dream of. dave only scratched the service
    07-10-11 12:14 PM
    Rim is too far behind the other platforms to be able to catch up. Android will become the dominant player very soon. I fully understand everyone's frustration with Rim and their failure to realize how serious the situation is. In my opinion they will end up like Palm did and be bought out by a competitor. I just hope Rim does a 180 very soon for BlackBerry lovers. The Storm series did it for me and I moved on to the Android devices which don't get me wrong they have their down falls but as far as performance goes they are #1. Why can't the CEO of Rim see this?
    07-10-11 02:41 PM
    dave lately i have disagreed with the complaints, but the clicking of the surepress is really starting to get annoying. the slowness of the emails coming through as of late, the flaws in the os seem to change with every build. having to pull the battery to make the phone operate properly kind of gets annoying. Granted the iphone is not as secure as bb or not able to do some of the things that rim can do. but there are things that my ipod touch can do that rim cant. i stream a free police scanner on my pod that i get all the feeds i need. the bb free version doesnt have nearly the amount of feeds that i want to see. Rim seems to be pushing the play book that not alot of people want. i use a laptop with an air card when i am not near my office or home. out of the android devices so far the only one that catches my eyes is the x2 but still not a fan of android yet
    Joe, I have to say that Android isn't perfect, given the "test drives" I've done one a number of their 3G and 4G phones, but overall, there's a whole lot more to like about them than the BB. Now that Apple is coming out with a BBM-like app--OMG, it's another nail in RIM's coffin. I wish some of the good features of Apple were combined with the best of Android! Given the current state of affairs I'd go with Android over Apple, but iOS5 has really upped the ante for mobile OS's.
    07-11-11 09:14 AM

How about just simply F'n work!

I have my 11th Storm II coming tomorrow! This is another free warranty replacement.

How about a browser that is not decrepit?
    How about RIM provided applications that don't freeze?
    How about going through a day without the sudden boots that take FOREVER?
    How about...

The Storm II is my last blackberry - it is obvious that RIM doesn't give a squat about touch screen phones and they don't deserve a dime of my money - ever again.
    1812dave and TommyBB like this.
    07-11-11 09:26 PM
    How about just simply F'n work!

I have my 11th Storm II coming tomorrow! This is another free warranty replacement.

How about a browser that is not decrepit?
    How about RIM provided applications that don't freeze?
    How about going through a day without the sudden boots that take FOREVER?
    How about...

The Storm II is my last blackberry - it is obvious that RIM doesn't give a squat about touch screen phones and they don't deserve a dime of my money - ever again.
    Every few months I have to reload the OS (1015) due to deterioration of my Storm2. I do that after frequent battery pulls don't help enough. POS phone!! (I'm waiting for either the Bionic or the SGS II)
    07-12-11 10:04 AM
    Every few months I have to reload the OS (1015) due to deterioration of my Storm2. I do that after frequent battery pulls don't help enough. POS phone!! (I'm waiting for either the Bionic or the SGS II)
    Try the 1082 Dave. Didn't think I would go with it but problems I've had similar to yours with the VZ 1015 OS have disappeared.

But, have to warn ya, the boot time for me increased 3 minutes. I'm willing to live with it because of the other things being fixed. You might not. I have over 60 3rd party apps and don't clear the logs that often though, so that is part of my problem.
    Last edited by dkingsf; 07-12-11 at 10:23 AM.
    07-12-11 10:18 AM

Yes, I also reload routinely after a complete wipe but it only seems to help for a short period of time. To be fair, only about 3 or 4 of the replacements were probably a true hardware fault. The others were better categorized as an incompetent Verizon tech support person just taking the easy way out. Even when I argued that it wasn't hardware they often told me that if I didn't take the replacement phone then they couldn't do anything else. Went through three phones in a six week period because of this. Couldn't absolutely prove it but it later seemed the issues were network related in the specific area that I was using the phone in at the time.
    07-13-11 10:15 AM
    Try the 1082 Dave. Didn't think I would go with it but problems I've had similar to yours with the VZ 1015 OS have disappeared.

But, have to warn ya, the boot time for me increased 3 minutes. I'm willing to live with it because of the other things being fixed. You might not. I have over 60 3rd party apps and don't clear the logs that often though, so that is part of my problem.
    Increased BY 3 minutes, or increased TO 3 minutes? I haven't timed mine lately, but for ages, it had been in the 3.5 to 4 minute area.
    07-15-11 10:17 AM
    ... the clicking of the surepress is really starting to get annoying. the flaws in the os seem to change with every build. having to pull the battery to make the phone operate properly kind of gets annoying...
    These are the exact things I was posting about over a year ago when Dave was telling us how flawless his 9550 is.
    07-15-11 10:24 AM
    Someone had their phone replaced 11 times??!?!!

I find that really weird. In Australia after the 3rd replacement I'd be getting a full refund. 11 times is crazy. Also statistically unlikely.

Was the shop/carrier doing something dodgy?
    07-19-11 03:31 AM
    >Iphone
    are you trying to do a fashion statement with your phone?
    Not an apple hater btw I just dislike the iphone design overall. If Blackberry RIM eventually falls like many other giants in the past I think I'll just stick with an android or even a windows 7 phone.
    Still waiting for the Storm3/Monaco.
    Also has anybody been following this?
    Things dont seem good gentlemen
    Last edited by Oglon3r; 07-19-11 at 05:53 AM. Reason: grammer XD
    07-19-11 05:52 AM
    Increased BY 3 minutes, or increased TO 3 minutes? I haven't timed mine lately, but for ages, it had been in the 3.5 to 4 minute area.
    Are you kidding me? 4mins to reboot your storm 2? It takes me 14 mins to reboot mine.

Getting the moto bionic whenever it decides to come out. Almost everyone that I knew that has/had a blackberry has moved on away from RIM.
    07-19-11 12:46 PM
    Are you kidding me? 4mins to reboot your storm 2? It takes me 14 mins to reboot mine.

Getting the moto bionic whenever it decides to come out. Almost everyone that I knew that has/had a blackberry has moved on away from RIM.
    OS 5.0.0.1015 has a 3 to 4 minute boot time. If you have a ton of apps ymmv
    07-19-11 01:17 PM
    What really amazes me is how all of these phone manufacturers can release a device and never admit the device is a flop. Not just Rim but look at motorola with the droid x and all the rebooting issues and still to date its not fixed! People spend their hard earned money on these devices and in somecases they never get a properly working device. There should be a lemon law for smartphones.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-11 03:19 PM
    I have to say I'm on the fence. I purchased a Playbook and just updated to the latest OS. Created more problems then fixes. I also have a storm 2 and like it, although it has it's days. With what's going on with Rim I'm very close to getting an iPhone and iPad to replace my BB's. Everyone in my family switched from BB to iPhone's and they couldn't be happier. I'm holding out but I don't know how much more of the BS for Rim I can put up with.
    07-19-11 10:19 PM
    Man oh man, we have two Storm2's in our household since they were introduced and have never had a single glitch of a problem. I have QuickPull installed and set it to automatically reboot the phones in the middle of the night to refresh the device and have never had to pull the battery since doing this. I'll admit my original Storm1 was a slouch and constantly needed rebooted, but I love my Storm2. Nevertheless, I am looking forward to getting the new BB touchscreen (whatever they plan on calling it). Verizon better carry it or I'll have to switch.
    07-20-11 08:16 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD