I was just talking to a colleague, talked about death of RIM for a while. He was always saying that RIM is on a quick path to its death for past year.

We know about the 1.2ghz bold 9900 this fall and sometime early 2012 we get a dual core QNX phone. RIM calls it a "super phone".

I read some articles yesterday about by end of this year there will be quad core android phones?

I was just wondering, wouldn't it make sense for RIM to go really high end and put it in a quad core QNX phone as their first release? I just think a dual core phone wont be enough to bring them back. It will take years for them to come back to its peak. People wont have a good reason to switch back to blackberry if the specs are exactly the same as android/iphone.

I am just hoping RIM decides the best approach and not scale back on hardware....
    06-21-11 01:12 PM
    Most consumers have no idea about dual core, ghz, etc... they just know fast or slow.
    06-21-11 01:20 PM
    Most consumers have no idea about dual core, ghz, etc... they just know fast or slow.
    Naturally a quad core phone would be faster
    06-21-11 01:21 PM
    yea, with 10min battery life
    StaticFX likes this.
    06-21-11 01:23 PM
    Naturally a quad core phone would be faster
    Depends on the OS.
    A dual core QNX phone could be faster than a quad core Android phone and would have better battery life to boot.
    06-21-11 01:25 PM
    This assumes the app development community actually has a reliable platform to develop on AND cares to do the work. MS offers own employees to write apps, but how many f*rting apps does the world need?
    06-21-11 01:28 PM
    quad core wont be needed. they just need something that runs the QNX core well. What they cant do is screw the rest of the application layers and have things buggy or not complete like with the PB. RIM has done a better job in the recent updates with code updates for the PB. the free memory has grown a good deal since the initial release. the device overall has improved and doesnt seem as clunky and has a more polished feel. This is what RIM needs to improve on for the "super phones." The out of the box experience needs to be more what we currently see in builds over 500 or 600. None of the 100-200 build crap. Having all the features implemented and ready to go and not "coming later this summer" is key too.

They need to have the platform performing 98% bug free and complete from the get go so instead of spending time fixing all the damn bugs they can actually introduce new features that were thought of previously, refine code for better battery. **** they can even focus better on newer and better products if they can do that.
    06-21-11 01:36 PM
    I think that they should go with an 8 core, 5" screen, 128GB of flash, and 4 GB of RAM. Specs are meaningless, the end user experience is where customers are won. The only reason you see these Android spec wars is because there are so many Android devices makers competing against each other on the same carrier with identical looking slabs that they are trying to get some differentiators between them and the other devices. Apple runs an 800 MHz processor now I think, and 512 MB of RAM , but they still sell better than any single Android device. RIM just needs for the QNX to have a great user experience, to be frugal with battery, and have an good app base along with its great web, media and multitasking capabilities.
    06-21-11 01:52 PM
    I highly doubt QNX phones will be going on sale any time before the holiday season of 2012, if 2012 at all.
    Frank2029 likes this.
    06-21-11 01:59 PM
    Well even with the new Andriod phones, they're getting more stable, in terms of battery life.
    Now I did read somewere, that next year will be the year of quad-cores/2gig dual-core. More then likey it will happen sometime next year. RIM didn't even think dual-core would be out this year, and look what happened. Now yes battery life is important, and they can perfect that with a dual-core, Ill be satisfied.

To me, I see the would going more into a bluetooth/nfc world. I still think if they were to get an advanced BT and good app/functions with it, they can really start the next thing. Apples already starting to do it with they're new co-up in the medical field.
    If BB was to execute it right, and make the advertaisment simple enough for un-savvy tech people. Then they could start saying how they're brand can share/transfer (connect) to/with everything.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-11 02:03 PM
    I was just talking to a colleague, talked about death of RIM for a while. He was always saying that RIM is on a quick path to its death for past year.

We know about the 1.2ghz bold 9900 this fall and sometime early 2012 we get a dual core QNX phone. RIM calls it a "super phone".
    I read some articles yesterday about by end of this year there will be quad core android phones?

I was just wondering, wouldn't it make sense for RIM to go really high end and put it in a quad core QNX phone as their first release? I just think a dual core phone wont be enough to bring them back. It will take years for them to come back to its peak. People wont have a good reason to switch back to blackberry if the specs are exactly the same as android/iphone.

I am just hoping RIM decides the best approach and not scale back on hardware....

I wonder if this "super phone" is going to be any version of the "super apps" they currently have. I never understood why they called them super apps.
    06-21-11 02:23 PM
    RIM has enough "money in the bank" and enough time to get the new Gen of QNX HH's out to the public. Whether or not it's late 2011 or 2012. Although it'll be 2012. Whether or not RIM succeeds is dependent on how the new QNX devices take off, or lack thereof. And how much the platform evolves & grows between now and then. RIM can put out the HW, the question is all about the SW. RIM doesn't need to have "quad-core" in any of their QNX devices regardless of what the spec-loving ppl say. Only time will tell.
    06-21-11 02:59 PM
    seriously doubt that'll happen considering the resources being hogged by playbook development, os7 bug fixes and the layoffs.
    06-21-11 03:35 PM
    RIM has enough "money in the bank" and enough time to get the new Gen of QNX HH's out to the public. Whether or not it's late 2011 or 2012. Although it'll be 2012. Whether or not RIM succeeds is dependent on how the new QNX devices take off, or lack thereof. And how much the platform evolves & grows between now and then. RIM can put out the HW, the question is all about the SW. RIM doesn't need to have "quad-core" in any of their QNX devices regardless of what the spec-loving ppl say. Only time will tell.
    You make a good point about the spec-whores. What matters is the end result not what is in the box. I have a 1.6GHz intel Atom dual core netbook with 1GByte which runs Linux, faster and smoother than Win7 on the latest spec quad core, 2.5GHz Core i5 with 4Gig of memory (Dell 6420). And it doesn't need a truck battery to keep it working.
    06-21-11 04:05 PM
    I highly doubt QNX phones will be going on sale any time before the holiday season of 2012, if 2012 at all.
    Well, I could see it happening a bit earlier like that (maybe summer or fall), but I'm not buying RIM's promise of Q1 2012. Just no track record to believe it.
    06-21-11 04:12 PM

Im going to have to agree... We'll be lucky if we see a QNX phone before Xmas 2012
    06-21-11 04:55 PM
    Well I can't remember who, but there's an Andriod tablet coming out with some of those specs this year, but I can't remember the one.
    When RIM pulls out the larger tablet, wonder how it'll do if its about the same as the Playbook.
    Also agreed, why would they release release tons of OS7 phones near the end of the year, and then QNX phones shortly after? I think it'll just upset some consumers.

06-21-11 05:33 PM
    QNX seems like at least a year away... It's a whole new OS for their phones. That's a lot of work to do. Not to mention, RIM isn't exactly Speedy Gonzalas.

I just hope they don't panic and release a half done / compromise version.
    06-21-11 06:22 PM
    I believe the QNX phones are suppose to run on true LTE not the HSPA+ like the 9900 coming out so it won't be released until 2012 for sure. In fact currently there are no carriers in North America running true LTE yet.

As for quad core... hmm... on paper sounds good but as everybody says it would be highly dependent on user experience. I want my phone easy to use, stable, reliable and quick and ready to go out of the box.

It's not a tablet I'm not watching movies on it. I'm not running complicated formulas in a spreadsheet on my phone. My phone doesn't need to have the same processing power as my laptop. It would be like being given a Ferrari but you can only drive it in rush hour in NY or LA...

Specs is meaningless if battery life is 4 hours and there's not a fast enough network to support it.
    06-21-11 06:29 PM
    It would seem an Atrix-like capable Blackberry would be attractive to business clients who lug around a laptop. To get to that stage, processing power is needed (the Atrix is a cool concept, but it's under powered)

It is the Atrix-like format that gives hope to Windows phones. Get a processor capable of running windows software on your phone (in the cloud or skinned down)... dock it... no more laptop needed for millions of traveling salesmen and executives. <-- Someday this will be a reality.
    06-21-11 06:36 PM
    It would seem an Atrix-like capable Blackberry would be attractive to business clients who lug around a laptop. To get to that stage, processing power is needed (the Atrix is a cool concept, but it's under powered)

It is the Atrix-like format that gives hope to Windows phones. Get a processor capable of running windows software on your phone (in the cloud or skinned down)... dock it... no more laptop needed for millions of traveling salesmen and executives. <-- Someday this will be a reality.
    I would like to see that on my PB not my phone. Sorry I have bad eyes and I spend lots of time in front of my computer and PB as it is... I'm not willing to look at a 3" or even a 5" screen!

I'm not disagreeing with you. I love the concept but not on my phone!
    06-21-11 06:44 PM
    Seems more and more people are all about specs. A lot of folks may say here on this board that most don't care about Spec's and what not and just want fast! (Most consumers) I agree to a point, but more and more people that were not tech-savvy are learning more and more off these very forums or the like.

So unfortunately IMO I do believe a lot of folks will be all about the Spec's unless it has the Apple logo on it....they just buy it because they love their Apple logo....

BB is in trouble right now. They need the QNX phones out ASAP, problem is they will be buggy, **** I imagine os7 is buggy. Sucks, but we are losing a lot of BB customers by the day.

Hopefully these new os7 phones save some customers or bring some back. Time tells all.

I am not leaving. Used them all and still get around better on my old stone age 9700 just fine.

Alberta Blue likes this.
    06-21-11 06:44 PM
    The only people who care about specs are geeks and people that hear it from geeks and geeks should know you can have the greatest specs and if the OS and programs bite the specs don't matter.
    K Bear likes this.
    06-21-11 07:51 PM
    Apps is all that matters, it isn't about speed or os, its about development, and QNX seems dead in the water to developers

06-21-11 07:55 PM
    Totally agree, the average consumer doesn't care/understand what's in the box- just how the UI and hardware looks.

K Bear likes this.
    06-21-11 07:59 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD