Hi CrackBerry Nation, I'm looking for your advice and appreciate any input. My Storm 2 with the latest OS from VZW is driving me nuts. I need a device now, and my company will likely let me get the Bold 9650 to replace it, and I can put the device back into the pool when the new devices are available this fall (I hope) meaning I will not be locked in for 2 yrs...

Is this upgrade worth it? I'm thinking it will be because of Webkit browser and the other features 6.0 brings, but please let me know your thoughts. My main reason for wanting to upgrade now is that I can't run some of the programs I need on my slow as s**t Storm 2, like Pocket Informant. The slow processor and limited memory plus the issues with Sure-press make it almost unbearable to use on a daily basis.

We are also testing BES Express, and may be moving from BES 4.1 to it if it all tests out OK. Any big gains with the 9650 running OS 6.0 vs the Storm 2 on OS 5.0 regarding the BES Express?

Thanks for any advice...
    Scott
    06-21-11 09:03 AM
    I migrated to Bold 9650 from Storm2 and never looked back! Can't help you on the BES stuff, but as far as a stable OS goes, Bold 9650 runs circles around Storm2.

BB6 has Universal Search, and I like the scrollabe trays, I put 6 different icons in the top row of each tray and just flip left or right for the app I want.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 06-21-11 at 09:16 AM.
    06-21-11 09:13 AM
    9550-

480x360
    256 MB
    On-screen keyboard: portrait SureType�, QWERTY and multitap, landscape QWERTY
    SurePress™ touch screen
    OS Issues with multiple builds.

9650-

480x360
    512 MB
    Full QWERTY keyboard
    Optical trackpad
    OS 6

*Winner *

Ya you will be fine with the Bold until devices are out later in the year. As you stated. you will not be tied down to anything.

As PC mentioned he came from it and loves his 9650 for now I would take his advice and move over to the 9650
    06-21-11 09:51 AM
    I too think PC's advice is sound. I have a friend that move from the 9550 to the 9650 and just raved at the difference. If you aren't locked in to the 2 year agreement and can get one to the new devices that will be coming out later than by all means make the switch. As far as the BES, I don't have any experience with it either, but I would think 9650 play very nice with it.
    06-21-11 10:04 AM
    For the record, I hated Storm2 so much I got a Tour. Had the Tour for about 2 weeks and got it replaced with the Bold just after it was released.
    06-21-11 10:14 AM
    I would honestly wait now, unless you can get a really good deal on a 9650 that doesn't break your contract.

I got a Bold 9650 back in March or April because I had the same problem with my S2 9550... I just couldn't deal with it (but at that point, I knew that the new devices coming out would still not be out for at least 4/5 months... and I was right). ALSO, I got the device refurbished from a reputable ebay seller, so the phone was priced well and in basically brand new condition. And because I got it from ebay, my contract wasn't broken so I still have an upgrade waiting at VZW.

Long story short, if you can get a good deal and you won't break contract, get it! If not, wait it out with your S2 for a month or two and get one of the new devices.

EDIT: OS6 is really nice, browser works pretty well, universal search is helpful and there are a lot of small things that OS6 brings to the device that makes it easier to use and faster than OS5. I would never go back to the S2, but I do miss the bigger screen, A LOT!

Though, there was a leaked OS for the S2 that dropped today, so maybe download that and see if it fixes any major problems you are having and makes the device at least usable for a couple of months.
    Last edited by SaMaster14; 06-21-11 at 04:41 PM.
    06-21-11 04:39 PM
    I would honestly wait now, unless you can get a really good deal on a 9650 that doesn't break your contract.

I got a Bold 9650 back in March or April because I had the same problem with my S2 9550... I just couldn't deal with it (but at that point, I knew that the new devices coming out would still not be out for at least 4/5 months... and I was right). ALSO, I got the device refurbished from a reputable ebay seller, so the phone was priced well and in basically brand new condition. And because I got it from ebay, my contract wasn't broken so I still have an upgrade waiting at VZW.

Long story short, if you can get a good deal and you won't break contract, get it! If not, wait it out with your S2 for a month or two and get one of the new devices.

EDIT: OS6 is really nice, browser works pretty well, universal search is helpful and there are a lot of small things that OS6 brings to the device that makes it easier to use and faster than OS5. I would never go back to the S2, but I do miss the bigger screen, A LOT!

Though, there was a leaked OS for the S2 that dropped today, so maybe download that and see if it fixes any major problems you are having and makes the device at least usable for a couple of months.
    According to the OP, contract isn't an issue.
    Hi CrackBerry Nation, I'm looking for your advice and appreciate any input. My Storm 2 with the latest OS from VZW is driving me nuts. I need a device now, and my company will likely let me get the Bold 9650 to replace it, and I can put the device back into the pool when the new devices are available this fall (I hope) meaning I will not be locked in for 2 yrs...
    06-21-11 04:45 PM
    ^Then I would say definitely go for it. OS6 is great, and the Bold is an awesome phone. I fell in love with the keyboard, only thing I miss is the slightly bigger screen on the S2. But overall, I have way more apps on my Bold and it runs pretty smoothly (but much much faster than my S2). I have never had random reboots, and I only reset the device once a week or so if necessary. App memory is much higher than i had on my S2 (between 170 and 205 with around 30 apps?themes installed)
    06-21-11 05:25 PM
    Also, BES works fine on the 9650.
    06-21-11 05:43 PM
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm going to see if I can get one then. Have never had a keyboard BB, but do remember loving the keyboard on my Treo 700W so maybe I will not miss the screen so much with this trade off. Looking forward to keyboard shortcuts too! Thanks again
    06-21-11 10:30 PM
    A huge upgrade. The 700w had a great keyboard. I had a 755p and loved that keyboard. The bolds is a little different. You have to trust your fingers rather than see them click the button. You get the gist of it after a day or so of texting as I did coming from an 8330

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-11 10:59 PM
    Wait for the new phones, the 9650 will be outdated in a couple of months and the Storm 2 will be extremely outdated then.
    06-22-11 02:14 PM
    9550-

480x360
    256 MB
    On-screen keyboard: portrait SureType�, QWERTY and multitap, landscape QWERTY
    SurePress� touch screen
    OS Issues with multiple builds.

9650-

480x360
    512 MB
    Full QWERTY keyboard
    Optical trackpad
    OS 6

*Winner *
    And yet isn't it odd that at least with Verizon, the Storm2 costs twice as much as the 9650?
    06-22-11 02:29 PM
    And yet isn't it odd that at least with Verizon, the Storm2 costs twice as much as the 9650?
    I think they are priced the same at my local vzw store...
    06-22-11 04:34 PM
    You can grab a 9650 on ebay for $180 and then keep your upgrade options open for the new berries.

06-22-11 05:12 PM
    I think they are priced the same at my local vzw store...
    Hmmm, I guess there can be local differences? My Verizon online account says I could upgrade to a 9650 for $100, or a Storm2 for $200. Curiously, it now says the Storm2 is "temporarily out of stock" though...
    06-22-11 05:26 PM
    ^ This. I picked up my Bold used for $50 from a guy at work. He only used it for a week and went back to Android.

06-22-11 07:20 PM
    I too am thinking of buying a 9650 to hold me over till the new Verizon BlackBerry'z come out. I really like my Storm2 but I have been dying to have BlackBerry 6.
    06-22-11 07:26 PM
    You can grab a 9650 on ebay for $180 and then keep your upgrade options open for the new berries.

Again, it's a company provided BB, so upgrade options aren't a concern for the OP. Doesn't anybody read the posts before the respond?

unlock my blackberry bold form sprint to tmobile now i have problems setting my email and social network.. say" your device has not been activated with your wireless service account.. but yet when you click to activated keeping giving me profile could not activated
    HELP!!!!!!!
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 06-23-11 at 08:01 AM.
    06-23-11 07:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD