So when Verizon finally gets a 4 G Blackberry, how fast would you expect my Playbook to run using Blackberry Bridge compared to what it will do now with a 3 G Blackberry? Will the limiting factor then be blue tooth or other?
    06-17-11 02:16 PM
    Bluetooth will definitely be the bottleneck.
    06-17-11 02:51 PM
    Yes, Bluetooth is a bottleneck. I wonder if RIM will change up how the bridge connects at some point.
    06-17-11 02:55 PM
    ISTM the question is very theoretical because a 4G BlackBerry is not even in the rumor mill yet. We don't even know how fast the BT link will run until both halves of the bridge are defined.
    06-17-11 02:57 PM
    Bluetooth can potentially be a bottleneck depending on the chipset. First if its using a 2.1 chipset you should be able to do atleast a 2.1-3.0mb transfer. If its BT 3.0 then 24mb (source: Bluetooth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). I've read both 2.1 and 3.0 chipsets so if someone can help clarify that would make things easier. I doubt they will change the bridge browser if anything it can be a gimick to make customers purchase the playbook 2 with BT 3.0 (assuming we don't have it already).
    It'd be more of a software/programming issue if we are seeing speeds slower than 2mb. I have heard people say they are getting way better speeds via internet tethering than they are through the bridge browser, personally I am getting around 1mb with bridge browser on a speedtest not complaining pages load decently, ofcourse nothing like the 20mb on wifi but still good.
    Also keep in mind that if you are to use internet tethering opposed to only bridge browser and you feel you are being hit by bottleneck speeds due to BT you can always use internet sharing on most devices and on new BB devices with os7 (assuming whatever 4g bb you purchase will have os7).
    06-17-11 03:20 PM
    So according to berryreview its 2.1:

RIM Confirms the Four BlackBerry PlayBook Bluetooth Profiles Supported - BerryReview

but i recall another post here in crackberry saying 3.0 but I am inclined to believing its a 2.1 setup so speeds are restricted if thats true.
    06-17-11 03:22 PM
    the box says 2.1 at least, but to be honest ive been using mine on 3g today and speed was pretty good, more than enough for youtube at least
    06-17-11 03:33 PM
    the box says 2.1 at least, but to be honest ive been using mine on 3g today and speed was pretty good, more than enough for youtube at least
    thanks for the verification. didnt have the box around. i am actually posting from bridge browser (on att with a torch the company and phone that had issues at first). the last bridge update did wonders for bridge browser.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-11 03:50 PM
    So my question is that if you had a strong 3G signal, would that come close to saturating BT 2.1? Or is there enough headroom left in BT 2.1 to see a significant increase in speed once a 4G phone was used?
    06-17-11 04:46 PM
    in theory 3g speeds should go faster but cariers regulate the speed. do a speed test on your phone to determine what speeds your carrier is offering in your area and if it exceeds or comes close to 3mb then it probably will slow it down if not there are no issues. at the end of the day its all up to the carrier and whether 4g is truly working in your area regardless of what you are told. i have plenty of friends on verizon with 4g phones who have disabled the 4g just because it goes in and out too much as 3g used to do when it was first deployed.

06-17-11 09:47 PM
    Bluetooth can potentially be a bottleneck depending on the chipset. First if its using a 2.1 chipset you should be able to do atleast a 2.1-3.0mb transfer. If its BT 3.0 then 24mb (source: Bluetooth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). I've read both 2.1 and 3.0 chipsets so if someone can help clarify that would make things easier. I doubt they will change the bridge browser if anything it can be a gimick to make customers purchase the playbook 2 with BT 3.0 (assuming we don't have it already).
    It'd be more of a software/programming issue if we are seeing speeds slower than 2mb. I have heard people say they are getting way better speeds via internet tethering than they are through the bridge browser, personally I am getting around 1mb with bridge browser on a speedtest not complaining pages load decently, ofcourse nothing like the 20mb on wifi but still good.
    Also keep in mind that if you are to use internet tethering opposed to only bridge browser and you feel you are being hit by bottleneck speeds due to BT you can always use internet sharing on most devices and on new BB devices with os7 (assuming whatever 4g bb you purchase will have os7).
    Bluetooth 3.0 is probably going to be the standard in 2012, atleast for smartphones. BB lost its unique BBM, and maybe the Bridge feature can be its new attraction. I do wish they out did themselfs with a more advance Bluetooth. Wouldn't even really need a 3G/4G Playbook model, and not to mention how much promotion it would bring BB phones.
    There's a new Bluetooth v4.0, that I wish was implanted. I wouldn't even care about anything other then a wifi Playbook, and a BB phone.

06-17-11 10:27 PM
    Someone posted about how they noticed the PB has 2 bt chipsets.

Btw, 4G is just renamed 3G no? At least in canada it is.

06-17-11 11:35 PM
    yea i think so. they are just getting away with a technicality where 3g can support higher speeds but they are regulating the speeds to make us buy new phones.

06-18-11 01:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD