So just a few hours ago my phone switched over to UMA, its a 9700... I thought you had to pay 5$ a month for this service, which I do not. Did Rogers decide to make it free again?
    06-16-11 08:59 PM
    Unfortunately UMA calling is not free and is only practical if you subscribe to talkspot. Even if you are connected to UMA, you will still be charged at your regular minute rate
    06-16-11 09:58 PM
    Im aware, but they were charging 5$ for just the UMA feature to be used.
    06-16-11 10:17 PM
    yah just noticed UMA today while connected to my wifi at home
    never had it before...

9700 here as well, and using an os6 hybrid version (forgot which one)
    06-16-11 11:18 PM
    Don't really care about the free calling, never used it for that anyways. Just is good as a signal booster for me because I rarely get more than 1 bar at my house and it ALWAYS drops calls. Hopefully this will help.
    06-16-11 11:47 PM
    9780 here, no uma yet.
    06-17-11 05:45 PM
    So if you don't subscribe to a 5$ monthly plan, you get charged your regular per minute rate...but what if you have an unlimited local calling plan, do you still get billed by the minute using UMA ?

If I end up in a hotel abroad that has wifi and I make local calls using UMA, will I get roaming charges ?
    06-18-11 07:45 PM
    Yes you will be charged if you travel abroad. The talkspot addons only work in Canada. Theres are also two different versions of the talkspot, a local and a canada wide. If you are outside of Canada and you use wifi to call, you will still be charged your regular minute rate plus roaming.
    06-19-11 03:01 PM
    Im aware, but they were charging 5$ for just the UMA feature to be used.
    I think your thinking of the $10 and $15 talkspot packages
    06-19-11 03:03 PM
    i called on wifi from New York (im from Toronto) and I wasn't charged over UMA.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-19-11 04:00 PM
    UMA is great if you have poor cell reception like me. I was flabbergasted to be asked to pay 5$ to use my equipment to transmit calls on my dime over my infrastructure.
    I called into retentions and put my thoughts into why it should be free and she gave it to me agreeing to how dumb that is.
    I guess they heard me. :P

Score +1 for all haha
    06-24-11 12:40 AM
    I just installed the latest Berrylicious v2 hybrid onto my Rogers 9700 and I can't seem to find the UMA option to turn it on? I already have my berry set to wifi when I'm at home.
    06-26-11 07:51 AM
    That happened to me a week ago! I was debating whether to post about it or not, but i didnt

One day i just turn on my Wi-Fi and I had UMA. I double-checked on Rogers to see if UMA was still a paid service and it was

The next day the UMA was still on until I had to leave to write one of my final exams. I come back home and UMA was non-existant. I am just guessing that Rogers is having a hiccup with the UMA service.
    06-27-11 04:31 PM
    I just got UMA local calling for $10/month which also includesfree evenings and weekends starting a 5pm.

For personal cell use, UMA may only be beneficial if you have poor signal in your house. If you're a business person who runs their business from your cell phone then UMA Talkspot is good deal.

I use 1000 minutes every month, 800 of them are at the office. (I send out 4000 flyers a month with my cell number on them).

My point is, if you make most of your calls from an office where you have wifi or from home, this is a great feature to have.

There were some problems with dropping calls, but a live chat with Rogers tech support fixed it right up.
    07-07-11 11:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD