I'm a student and I wanna buy a bb playbook for reading ebooks, lecture slides and browsing. My laptop is really noisy so I don't feel comfortable taking it to the library. With all the negative reviews that the playbook has been having and the problems that RIM is having with staying competitive is it really worth it to get the playbook? I've tried it out at bestbuy and I think I like it but I'm worried about spending $499.99 and not getting updates in the future if the tablet fails.
    06-16-11 05:13 PM
    No Kindle or Nook app so i don't know how many ebooks you'll be reading on Kobo.
    06-16-11 05:14 PM
    No Kindle or Nook app so i don't know how many ebooks you'll be reading on Kobo.
    Hopefully we can add a "Yet"' to that. I love playbook and one of it's biggest fans but honestly for taking notes you may find it difficult to type on a virtual keyboard, especially when it pops up and covers a good portion of the screen. You could get a bluetooth keyboard however. I would prefer a wider aspect ratio screen for general reading and browsing but the size is perfect..

I wouldn't worry about it failing - it got some initial high profile bad reviews by people that aren't really technical and just went by first impressions, but also it seems to be out doing other pads other than of course, the ipad.

Three weeks ago when I got mine. I may not have recommended it, but two OS updates have made it highly functional.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 06-16-11 at 05:23 PM.
    06-16-11 05:18 PM
    Some would say not. Other would swear by it. For your requirements you outlined I would say it would be perfect. Reading through these forums you should be able to make a well informed choice as to whether or not you be truly happy with the device.

Not sure if it's a standard with bestbuy everywhere but you could always return it after the 14 days. Plenty of time to really tests it up. RIM have shown us they are pushing updates out and we know another one is imminent as it is currently in beta. Only time will tell if our money was well spent in a few months when we should start to see some big apps on board a get a good idea of global sales figures.
    06-16-11 05:19 PM
    try it for 14-30 days and decide. its the best way to answer your question i think
    06-16-11 05:26 PM
    A Playbook will fill most of your needs, but I would go with an iPad as the Playbooks support for ebooks is limited to what you buy on Kobo. I bought an ebook for one of my courses that is an Adobe Digital Edition, which means there is DRM. There is no app for the Playbook to read it, but there is one for the iPad.
    06-16-11 05:49 PM
    I'm a student and I wanna buy a bb playbook for reading ebooks, lecture slides and browsing. My laptop is really noisy so I don't feel comfortable taking it to the library. With all the negative reviews that the playbook has been having and the problems that RIM is having with staying competitive is it really worth it to get the playbook? I've tried it out at bestbuy and I think I like it but I'm worried about spending $499.99 and not getting updates in the future if the tablet fails.
    the ipad is more complete tablet experience. the playbook needs more time to mature. The hardware and fit/finish is very good but the user experience and features are weak. if you're going to buy a tablet go with a proven platform at this time. Look up ios5 on youtube and see where the ipad will be in September. Awesome notiifcations, complete message integration, split keyboard and undocking of keyboard. None of this exists on PB. You cant't email video from PB or email links directly from browser. For a college student you don't want to be beta testing. Oh, and the PB doesn't have autocorrection.
    06-16-11 09:02 PM
    In a word...yes.
    06-16-11 09:29 PM
    If you don't have patience ... go for an iPad
    Unless the BB bridge is the winning point
    Otherwise wait six months for the appWorld/android apps becoming available
    However, at this time no tablets replace PC's for everything
    Last edited by mandony; 06-16-11 at 09:33 PM.
    06-16-11 09:30 PM
    IF blackberry bridge is a must have, then go for it. Otherwise, i recommend you try the asus eee pad transformer, which has the same specs and features plus a microsd slot, for less the price ($399). Also, for library reading and note taking i certainly suggest a 10.1" screen, more space for a stylus or just touch input, plus lectures will be easier to read.
    06-16-11 09:34 PM
    I would say PB will suit you needs perfectly.

I use mine to :
    - browsing
    - taking pictures and record some videos ( with high quality result )
    - play facebook flash games
    - listening to music
    - watching some movies

It's small and it's very portable. easily slipped in my gym bag and easy to carry by hands.

In the end, I would say it's a good investment and I'm loving mine more and more.
    06-16-11 09:40 PM
    If you're a student you really need a laptop as your main machine. Consider a tablet as a nice accessory, but not a replacement, be it iPad or PB. Use your laptop as your main system and choose your tablet based on what form factor you want, 7" or 10". Is being able to carry it everywhere important, or do you not mind lugging around a laptop sized tablet?
    06-16-11 09:44 PM
    I am an University student owning a playbook; and i feel the playbook is perfect for your needs. For lectures, most of my profs have there slides in pdf format which the pb has not given me any problems as of yet and the browsing for school related websites (uw ace, uw quest, jobmine) works as effectively as my laptop. Also, when waiting for the bus to do groceries, or going busing to a friends place, the bridge browser comes in handy as there is no wifi (this is assuming you own a blackberry device).

Most of my textbooks are hard cover, and I'm unsure how an ebook version of the textbooks will be read on the pb. However, if you plan to use ebooks just for casual reading, then the pb has Kobo Books and that should satisfy your reading needs.

I feel that you shouldn't make your decision to buy or not to buy based on the negative reviews of the playbook as they are reviewing the playbook for all sorts of people (businessmen, techy people, students, teens, everyone). Your decision should be based on your needs. (also i kind of think the reviews are biased towards anything rim produces)

To be honest tho, i see a lot more ipad2s in my lectures than playbooks. In comparison to my classmates ipad2s, I feel most of them are unaware of the playbook itself or prefers to follow the apple trend. Also, i have found that my friend's ipad2 have some problems accessing our schools major websites for their courses.

So ye, it really depends what your looking for in a tablet. But imho, i think the playbook is great, portable, and just plain awesome =]

Also, as howarmat said, you can always return the playbook if it doesn't meet your needs. (I have had the playbook for a week, and have been attending my lectures with it. Most likely, I will NOT return it; its a lot lighter than carrying a 4lb laptop everywhere you go; an extremely convenient tablet to have while studying)
    Last edited by BBnewuser1991; 06-17-11 at 12:48 AM. Reason: more info
    06-17-11 12:42 AM
    I use the PB in a University environment. It is frustrating at times to know that it has so much potential yet the software is still incomplete but I must admit it is a joy to carry with me. Adobe Reader is very basic, Kobo is ok but I would prefer a Kindle app, Words and Slides to Go are also lacking but function well enough most of the time. The browser is very good and the hardware quality is top notch. I am hoping that the issues are resolved by the start of the Fall semester but even in its current state I decided to keep it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-11 03:28 AM
    I love my PlayBook but I would never suggest that someone uses it for school needs. I tried it a few times in class vs my iPad and there was no comparison. Much to little app support for the PlayBook to be a useful tool in the classroom. Go with an iPad.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-11 04:10 AM
    to the op

have you looked at getting a netbook? more or less half the cost of a 16gb playbook, full functionality, and you could swap a ssd into it for the price difference. provided you arent considering the playbooks 7" form factor.
    06-17-11 06:56 AM
    Like someone already said, the $499 is only if you KEEP it. Assuming you have $500 open on a credit card why not 'rent' one for 2 weeks?

I'd never use it for taking notes as typing while trying to pay attention to a lecture wouldn't work for me. I really wish that someone would develop an app that would emulate a Palm Pilot. I used to LOVE to take notes on my pilot as the shorthand was quick and easy to master. You'll also want to see which if any of the books you want are available in a PB friendly format.

DON'T buy this on the hopes of what is coming in the future. Personally I see the current PB's as being on the same track as the Storm. If it can't do what you need it to do TODAY hold off or return the 'rental'.
    06-17-11 08:33 AM

DON'T buy this on the hopes of what is coming in the future. Personally I see the current PB's as being on the same track as the Storm. If it can't do what you need it to do TODAY hold off or return the 'rental'.
    I think this is the best advice - buy if what it offers NOW is what you need.
    06-17-11 08:49 AM
    i use my PB for work but read your needs PB is right for browsing and slides i dont really know about the ebook since i dont find some books that i need. you might want to check kobo.com and browse some books.
    06-17-11 09:01 AM
    As RIM is fully committed to the QNX OS, the Storm comparison really isn't valid.
    06-17-11 09:10 AM
    What about the HTC Flyer, that has a stylus/Pen and some note taking apps. It's also about the same size as the Playbook.
    Not having used Android or taken much notice of it I assume it has all the major e-reading apps such as Amazon and Nook.

Might be a better choice for your needs.
    06-17-11 09:10 AM
    As RIM is fully committed to the QNX OS, the Storm comparison really isn't valid.
    RIM may not even be around a year from now.

Things keep going as they are now, someone is going to pick them up dirt cheap and it's anyone's guess where it goes from there.
    06-17-11 10:21 AM
    Please DEFINE committed. Do the CEO's go to jail or get executed if they change their minds? Get serious, commitments in the IT & business worlds last only as long as the markets allow. If tomorrow one of the 'big' players roll out a completely revolutionary concept then RIM and the rest will be forced to dump their 'commitments' and start playing catch up all over again.

The scary thing is that I heard someone in a tech company yesterday state that they can ride this platform for the next TEN years. If that doesn't ONE HUNDRED PERCENT show a complete break from clear perspective then I don't really know what those two could have said to cement that they are lost in the weeds with no clear path home.

As far as the Storm analogy goes, I'll stand by it. RIM put out a product and Verizon gave them their full backing. The idea and hope was (should have been) to totally take on the iPhone and get the same people who were developing apps for iOS to write for the Storm's OS. RIM Never REALLY committed to the process as far as I can see. The apps never came, the OS updates were horrible, and in the end the ONLY users who have Storms that are even mildly usable are those who are so dyed in the wool geek-whores that we hang out on websites hunting leaked updates like meth whores scratching for the next fix.

Now before some RIM defender tries to deflect the app debate onto the dev's, DON'T. App developers will write for whatever platforms have market share and potential AND allows them to write apps without jumping though hoops like trained circus poodles. I've PERSONALLY reached out to two corporations that have mobile apps that I would love to run. One flat out told me it wouldn't happen, without explanation. The second laughed at me and asked if I had any idea how many different 'flavors of Blabkberry' are currently in the market and that it would be too much trouble to put out apps that would run on all of them. So rather than to develop an app for OSx only to have RIM change it in 6 months they just decided not to support RIM at all.

RIM needs to decide whether their core is going to remain the corporate world where change is slow and steady or if they want to play in the big pool of retail consumers where the waves are fast and furious and every new splash pushes them in some new direction. One little tiny fly in the ointment is that the corporate world is changing too and that more and more IT departments are getting savvy or having to deal with the new employment modalities where people are working from home, using home networks, and accessing company data and networks from personal devices. Its part of the paradigm shift towards every employee being an army of one and in dealing with that shift allowing people to use THEIR devices instead of company supplied devices, this shift is gaining traction.

So before you think that committed means anything beyond the pregnant pause between statements consider the price of being too rooted to one position.
    06-17-11 11:29 AM
    Since you a student I just want to caution you.
    but this is NOT to discourage you by any means.

I have heard a lot of stories about Dorm thefts etc. and students losing valuables from their rooms.
    so think in that perspective. If you buy one just take good care of it as well.

It is an expensive item for a student, no matter what your needs are (same is the case with IPAD or any item with $500 tag, if you so decide to go with).

sorry but this is just my 2 cents
    06-17-11 08:02 PM
    Please DEFINE committed. Do the CEO's go to jail or get executed if they change their minds? Get serious, commitments in the IT & business worlds last only as long as the markets allow. If tomorrow one of the 'big' players roll out a completely revolutionary concept then RIM and the rest will be forced to dump their 'commitments' and start playing catch up all over again.

The scary thing is that I heard someone in a tech company yesterday state that they can ride this platform for the next TEN years. If that doesn't ONE HUNDRED PERCENT show a complete break from clear perspective then I don't really know what those two could have said to cement that they are lost in the weeds with no clear path home.

As far as the Storm analogy goes, I'll stand by it. RIM put out a product and Verizon gave them their full backing. The idea and hope was (should have been) to totally take on the iPhone and get the same people who were developing apps for iOS to write for the Storm's OS. RIM Never REALLY committed to the process as far as I can see. The apps never came, the OS updates were horrible, and in the end the ONLY users who have Storms that are even mildly usable are those who are so dyed in the wool geek-whores that we hang out on websites hunting leaked updates like meth whores scratching for the next fix.

Now before some RIM defender tries to deflect the app debate onto the dev's, DON'T. App developers will write for whatever platforms have market share and potential AND allows them to write apps without jumping though hoops like trained circus poodles. I've PERSONALLY reached out to two corporations that have mobile apps that I would love to run. One flat out told me it wouldn't happen, without explanation. The second laughed at me and asked if I had any idea how many different 'flavors of Blabkberry' are currently in the market and that it would be too much trouble to put out apps that would run on all of them. So rather than to develop an app for OSx only to have RIM change it in 6 months they just decided not to support RIM at all.

RIM needs to decide whether their core is going to remain the corporate world where change is slow and steady or if they want to play in the big pool of retail consumers where the waves are fast and furious and every new splash pushes them in some new direction. One little tiny fly in the ointment is that the corporate world is changing too and that more and more IT departments are getting savvy or having to deal with the new employment modalities where people are working from home, using home networks, and accessing company data and networks from personal devices. Its part of the paradigm shift towards every employee being an army of one and in dealing with that shift allowing people to use THEIR devices instead of company supplied devices, this shift is gaining traction.

So before you think that committed means anything beyond the pregnant pause between statements consider the price of being too rooted to one position.
    Sorry to have to inform you, sport, but it is clear that you don't really have a clue about what QNX is. It is infinitely scalable which means that it will work the same on any device configured to run it. Dual processor, quad or octo, it makes no difference to QNX. Processes may be designed to run on the available processing resources but QNX will handle every process the same way and allot every process allowable resources.

When you heard the tech say this technology could could be ridden for 10 years he was right. That you didn't get it is typical but it doesn't necessarily mean that you are wrong in your populist assessment. After all, the US still doesn't have the metric system and for the same reasons.
    06-17-11 08:44 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD