Hey All,

As we know, even though DM for Mac gives you an option to downgrade an OS, I continue to get the error and the install never completes. After about a week of playing around I was able to downgrade my BlackBerry 9700 from OS 6.0.0.534 to 5.0.0.862. These are both official carrier releases from Bell Mobility.

I was able to do this using only OSX 10.6.7 and DM for Mac v2.0.1, No Bootcamp or Windows required.

Here is a step by step how I did it

1.) Plug your Blackberry into the Mac and open DM. While still running on OS6 back up your device!

2.) Eject your Blackberry from DM and disconnect the USB cable.

3.) Remove the battery from your device

4.) Attach USB cable to device, wait for a pop up screen to appear on DM

5.) When the "Unable to connect to device" screen appears, click on the update button.

6.) A list will appear after a moment with all of your carrier official OS's. Select the one you wish to downgrade to. I selected 5.0.0.862, the latest OS5 supported by my carrier. Click Install.

7.) DM will begin downloading the OS and install on your device. When it reaches the "Waiting for device to initialize" screen, wait for your Blackberry to display a screen showing the battery missing icon. At this point place the battery back in your device and wait for it to reload.

8.) Once the device has booted up, DM will install the remaining applications and once more reboot your Blackberry.

9.) Upon completion of the reboot, OS5 is installed and the Blackberry is ready to use.

10.) Using DM restore your device.

I have duplicated this twice now on my 9700 and it has worked both times without using anything but OSX 10.6.7 and DM.

Cheers
    Last edited by topherpaquette; 06-14-11 at 06:49 PM. Reason: CONFIRMED: Rewrote 2, 5, 7 for easier understanding
    dee., z10dubai, BigBadWulf and 2 others like this.
    06-14-11 02:38 AM
    Thanks x 100000! It works on my 9700. Followed your instructions and encountered no problems at all. Downgraded from 6.0.0.546 to 5.0.0.862 Running on OSX 10.5.8 and DM version 2.0.1 (build 14).
    06-14-11 05:23 PM
    No problem. It was frustrating no being able to do it until recently.
    06-14-11 06:51 PM
    Thanks topher! I've bookmarked this puppy for future Samanthas.
    06-18-11 10:50 PM
    Many thanks topher. Your post allowed me to upgrade os when DM was hanging up.
    06-23-11 01:33 PM
    Hello topher - how long should step (7) take??? My DM says 'waiting for device to initialise' but BB isnt doing anything?? Thank you!!
    09-06-11 03:38 AM
    Can this method be used to do a wipe and clean install?
    10-14-11 04:10 PM
    Step 5 problem? There's only Cancel Repair Retry button. I'm noob sorry.
    11-13-11 10:21 AM
    Hey All,

7.) DM will begin downloading the OS and install on your device. When it reaches the "Waiting for device to initialize" screen, wait for your Blackberry to display a screen showing the battery missing icon. At this point place the battery back in your device and wait for it to reload.

Cheers
    This step makes me think : If the DM on mac download the OS from a BB server , it must be downloading it in some format or something and putting it in a folder somewhere before putting it onto the phone...right?
    cant we just download the bb os .exe version and extract it into the same folder and then when we open the DM, it should show as an upgrade as well??

OR is this NOT possible at all ??
    01-20-12 12:15 AM
    This step makes me think : If the DM on mac download the OS from a BB server , it must be downloading it in some format or something and putting it in a folder somewhere before putting it onto the phone...right?
    cant we just download the bb os .exe version and extract it into the same folder and then when we open the DM, it should show as an upgrade as well??

OR is this NOT possible at all ??
    It's in a temp folder somewhere, and gives me an idea. May take a little, but I'm kicking it around with a few friends.
    01-20-12 09:10 AM
    This guide is right on. Thanks for this info!

One fix, for me at least, I had to hit the "repair" button as there was no update button, but all else was exactly as described. Running 10.6.8.
    11-07-12 09:27 PM
    Fantastic. Works great. Really appreciate it.
    08-02-13 03:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD