In the past when I traveled to Europe I turned on the Verizon International Data Plan. It gave me 5Gb per month for $69.99 pro rated. I leave tomorrow and just called to turn it on again and was told it is now $100 for 75Mb. WTF?

Is there any other solution. I can't be in Europe for a month and get hosed for what will likely be several hundred dollars just to get email for the month.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am using a BB Storm. My plan was to use my tetherberry link and use the phone as my internet connection.
    06-11-11 02:06 PM
    Unlock your device and get a local SIM from a European carrier. That's the only thing I can think of. VZW really screwed the pooch when they mucked up their international offerings. Just be glad you aren't going to Asia, VZW offers no plan there anymore, it's now straight per-MB pricing.
    06-11-11 02:45 PM
    Thanks. Any suggestions on where to get the best deal on an unlock code? Never had a need to do it before.
    06-11-11 02:58 PM
    Thanks. Any suggestions on where to get the best deal on an unlock code? Never had a need to do it before.
    Right here on Crackberry!
    Unlocking Companies and Promotions

Some of them are free, but the free ones (sometimes) take awhile to get the code to you.
    Last edited by californiablackberry; 06-11-11 at 03:24 PM.
    06-11-11 03:10 PM
    Another reason that crackberry rocks. The community help is fantastic.
    06-11-11 03:17 PM
    You should be able to get an unlock code free from VZW.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-11-11 04:27 PM
    LOL, they're "ripping you off" on phone data charges that you were planning on tethering to something else for free. The irony is awesome.
    06-11-11 04:44 PM
    I pay for the data plan and was willing to pay them even more for the data. Big difference between cutting someone off at the knees and using the data you already paid for.
    06-11-11 04:51 PM
    You should be able to get an unlock code free from VZW.

I tried that before and they said they would not provide an unlock code under any circumstances. If you have any suggestions on how to get them to say yes...
    06-11-11 04:52 PM
    hello! i travel to europe a lot. what i do is i suspend my phone on my account so i do not have to pay for it. its about $15 i think and you can do it for 3 months at a time.
    make sure your phone is unlocked. call verizon and they will give you an unlock code for free.

once you are over there, pick up a local sim card to pop in your phone. i get unlimited data and free incoming calls on my sim, plus 2euros for texting, all for about 9 euros a month! no commitment since it is prepay.

what country are you planning on going to? i might be able to help you out more
    06-11-11 04:57 PM
    hello! i travel to europe a lot. what i do is i suspend my phone on my account so i do not have to pay for it. its about $15 i think and you can do it for 3 months at a time.
    make sure your phone is unlocked. call verizon and they will give you an unlock code for free.

once you are over there, pick up a local sim card to pop in your phone. i get unlimited data and free incoming calls on my sim, plus 2euros for texting, all for about 9 euros a month! no commitment since it is prepay.

I am going to be in Spain for a couple weeks and then another two weeks split between Italy, Greece, and Turkey.
    06-11-11 05:01 PM
    for sure pick up a local sim in spain.. your roaming fees in the other countries shouldnt be too bad.

head on over to Europe - PrePaidGSM.net Forum and they can help you out more! have fun
    06-11-11 06:20 PM
    Gracias a todos
    06-11-11 06:56 PM
    You can try FreeMyBlackBerry.com for an unlock code
    06-11-11 07:51 PM

15$ fee to suspend your account ? That sucks

06-12-11 03:31 AM
    I tried that before and they said they would not provide an unlock code under any circumstances. If you have any suggestions on how to get them to say yes...
    They don't know what they are talking about. You can get it done for free with the Global department. Call them at 1-800-711-8300
    pkcable likes this.
    06-12-11 01:02 PM
    I guess the end of the story is welcome to Spain. I got the phone unlocked, no problem. I found a good deal on a new SIM card from Yoigo with a guaranteed delivery (COD) of 20 euros that included plenty of calling and data. So, when the package was to arrive, the courier service said the weather was too nice so they are all going to the beach. Good thing I did COD and not my credit card as I am off to Italy now with no SIM card and Yoigo can eat the return charges from the carrier if they ever arrive...
    06-17-11 08:09 AM
    I guess the end of the story is welcome to Spain. I got the phone unlocked, no problem. I found a good deal on a new SIM card from Yoigo with a guaranteed delivery (COD) of 20 euros that included plenty of calling and data. So, when the package was to arrive, the courier service said the weather was too nice so they are all going to the beach. Good thing I did COD and not my credit card as I am off to Italy now with no SIM card and Yoigo can eat the return charges from the carrier if they ever arrive...
    And, now you know why Spain and Portugal are next behind Greece once the fat lady starts to sing...oddly, Italy is probably in that mix too...you're hitting all the sweet spots aren't you?
    06-17-11 08:37 AM
    Unfortunately, I am a Spanish citizen who just has lived in the US my whole life but I know the issues. Ok, so I refuse to say PIIGS and just say PIIG and hope Spain figures it out before judgement day

At least in Spain los indignados are not violent. Greece, well, that is another story (which is the stop after Italy). Since Turkey isn't part of the EU, that should be OK.
    06-17-11 08:46 AM
    They don't know what they are talking about. You can get it done for free with the Global department. Call them at 1-800-711-8300
    If the phone is or has ever been on your VZW plan, they will unlock it for free. In fact, they will walk you through the steps for your particular phone. I just got a Storm unlocked, it having been replaced by a Droid some time ago. The Storm is now happily active with both voice and data on an Italian SIM.
    Last edited by CharlesH; 06-19-11 at 06:46 PM.
    06-19-11 06:44 PM
    Can anyone recommend a SIM that can be used in LDN/PARIS/ROME? I'm going to all 3 next month and want to use my 9550.
    06-29-11 12:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD