Just noticed that rimms stock has dropped to 38 something a share. Anyone here worried they're priced to be bought out by someone? Just wondering what you all think about the whole situation with all the media and capital firms downing the whole company and the stock plummeting.
    06-10-11 09:04 PM
    It would take a LOT of power to buy out RIM, Mike and Jim have a large portion of controlling shares, you'd have to very aggressively buy out the major share holders to take over RIM
    06-10-11 09:09 PM
    They will just wait until the stock hits $25 then do a hostile take over
    06-10-11 09:30 PM
    I'm hoping it won't drop that low and I'm hoping for no buyout. Unlike a lot of ppl I love BlackBerry and don't want it to be bought out. I like the products they make and I know without them a good keyboard would be gone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-10-11 09:33 PM
    dont worry, it will go back up by september, its like 2004 or 2006 when there value dropped and picked back up. have no fear! RIMs way too big to die off...
    06-10-11 09:43 PM
    $36.50 today. Analysts estimate it'd cost about $1bn to shift the co-CEO's and the whole market cap is pretty small - so about a week's income for Apple - even though they wouldn't want it. I'd bet either on HP or maybe Microsoft now that Nokia's not for sale.
    06-10-11 10:12 PM
    RIMM is going no where and here to stay, market cap doesn't tell the whole story, rumor suggests Nokia demanded $28 billion for their phone business only when MSFT quoted $19 billion for a buyout of their hardware division, currently RIM stock evaluation is a joke, 4-5 times of 2012 EPS ($7.50), if the company has to be acquired one needs to pay atleast 15 times x EPS which will put RIM in the $40-$50 billion range and I don't think HP has that much money either and even if it has it wouldn't spend so much on RIM, there are only few companies with that kind of cash like Cisco, Apple, Msft, Oracle, Google etc. Out of these companies only it makes sense to MSFT to shell out that kind of money but as they are going full steam with WP7 and I really doubt if they will attempt unless WP7 doesn't get any fruition, other companies are more like Bankruptcy bidders than actual potent buyers at full price. Already it is evident that Palm acquisition by HP is more to do with Printers rather than smartphones. Also lately HP and Cisco stocks are themselves not doing that great.
    Last edited by sf49ers; 06-10-11 at 11:31 PM.
    06-10-11 11:25 PM
    I cant see it happening. We all know why the stock is as low as it is. RIM needs its new products out the door. The stock will recover after that. I hope they learn a good lesson and in the future they get a better refresh cycle. I believe once QNX is the standard refreshing new phones will be much faster!!
    06-10-11 11:37 PM
    Some companies let stock fall while they get their ducks in a row, then they buy back more shares prior to dropping a new set of products and ride the market back up.

I read somewhere that it's called business....dunno where, though. Something about buy low, sell high....could be a Brainfart.

diegonei and big_time2 like this.
    06-11-11 12:04 AM
    Some companies let stock fall while they get their ducks in a row, then they buy back more shares prior to dropping a new set of products and ride the market back up.

I read somewhere that it's called business....dunno where, though. Something about buy low, sell high....could be a Brainfart.

yes your right. RIM did just that last year at a cost of 50$ a share. I bet they would like to it again. Legal ****e stops them from doing it again until July. They may have a chance.
    06-11-11 12:09 AM
    Meanwhile, they have people dumping on them helping to dump the price even further. And nothing fresh other. Than the PlayBook on the market.
    I smell a windfall coming....

06-11-11 12:17 AM
    It would take a LOT of power to buy out RIM, Mike and Jim have a large portion of controlling shares, you'd have to very aggressively buy out the major share holders to take over RIM
    Situations like this have happened before. Sounds a lot like the tribune. Go and set a proxy battle, a direct offer with the shareholders.

06-11-11 10:28 AM

Yea? Did rimm let their shareholders know about this buyback? Since they would be using shareholder cash. Maybe rimm needs to do a reverse split, which would make as much sense as an entry level tablet while depriving their customer base of new phones.

06-11-11 10:32 AM
    Yea? Did rimm let their shareholders know about this buyback? Since they would be using shareholder cash. Maybe rimm needs to do a reverse split, which would make as much sense as an entry level tablet while depriving their customer base of new phones.

You clearly have NO idea what you are talking about. Your words speak for themself!!
    06-11-11 10:47 AM
    dont worry, it will go back up by september, its like 2004 or 2006 when there value dropped and picked back up. have no fear! RIMs way too big to die off...
    RIM isn't going to "die off." But, RIM was in a completely different competitive environment in 2004 and 2006. They had a solid and growing platform that was still trending upward in most every sense (device sales, new subscribers, average selling prices, etc), they were a stronger platform than Palm, and they offered a much better experience than Windows Mobile. Now, Palm is gone, Windows Mobile has been remade, and you have iOS and Android (and it is Android that is robbing RIM's marketshare growth). RIM isn't going away, but to expect a bounce similar to what was seen in 2004 and 2006 seems like a bit of a reach.
    lssanjose likes this.
    06-11-11 11:32 AM
    Funny how some people try to put a good spin on what is really bad news for DIM...errr....RIM

I'm sure the captain of the Titanic also assured his passengers that a sinking ship is a normal thing
    Same was said about the Roman empire
    you know, these arent the only **** comments you made, why dont you just go over to androidcentral.com or tipb.com and stay there?
    ur getting annoying
    06-11-11 12:46 PM
    you know, these arent the only **** comments you made, why dont you just go over to androidcentral.com or tipb.com and stay there?
    ur getting annoying
    biggest troll on this forum. i dont even think he currently owns a blackberry.
    06-11-11 02:02 PM
    Got rid of two....guess there's work still to be done.
    06-11-11 02:27 PM
    Just use the report post button. Hopefully if enough people report, something will be done.
    06-11-11 03:11 PM
    Just use the report post button. Hopefully if enough people report, something will be done.
    Nahhh just fix the 30-hour day algorithm so I have time to catch up on the backlog and still get some sleep
    lnichols likes this.
    06-11-11 05:37 PM
    Nahhh just fix the 30-hour day algorithm so I have time to catch up on the backlog and still get some sleep
    Thank you. Now hopefully we don't see new accounts pop up.
    06-11-11 07:40 PM
    Thank you. Now hopefully we don't see new accounts pop up.
    They will be subject to banning on sight, and ban evasion may trigger upgrade of the initial timeout into a permaban.
    06-11-11 07:45 PM
    aaahhhh......that sounds just about perfect....
    06-11-11 07:58 PM
    Looks like we're at it again. RIM's stock looks like it is ready to get bought out. Big post-market drop yesterday and look out for institutional buying at these cheap prices.... I just thought I'd call it before it happens.

RIM will get bought out by Microsoft
    and/or
    YHOO will get bought out by Microsoft

within next three to four quarters...

Platform compatibility and Patents to add to their portfolio seems ripe for the picking.
    09-15-11 11:19 PM
    Why buyout now? The junk stock keeps gettign cheaper in an up market. why wouldn't the purchaser want the stock to continue to decline, so they wouldn't have to offer such a huge premium over the market price? P/e continues to fall to unrealistic levels, given that you are looking at a tech stock and not a thrid world steel producer
    keep in mind management does not seem to care about shareholders(why lose their paychecks as they continue running the company in the ground), and the problems with canadian companies and takeovers.

if the price is right, someone would look to buy, but also look at Goog and the hit their stock took the weeks after their purchase of mmi, this very well is holding some back.

i would say a guesstimate would be csco or ibm as targets.
    Ibm has plenty of capital, but why would they want to get into the phone market, especially when they downsized in the past from their pc business.

Csco is finally getting their junk in order, they have also suffered from lackluster earnings and forecasts in the past.

Would msft even want rimm? I don't think so. But they waste so much money on wireless that nobody seems to care for. Oh, and legal fees for court battles, so they may just be up for another battle in court, could it be for rimm? Only because msft loves a challenge.
    09-16-11 12:18 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD