My wonderful wife bought me the PB for my birthday, but because we are at a beach resort, I am unable to do the initial setup--WiFi here needs a password to be entered into a webpage. Do I just need to get it home, where I have a wireless router, and all will be OK?

Bad thing is, I have the PB but can't play with it!!! ARRRGH!
    06-10-11 08:38 PM
    Yes yes. Just need to connect to wifi one time.

Do you have a tethering plan?

You can turn your laptop into a router to activate it if you can't wait.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-10-11 08:41 PM
    Find a mcdonalds or something near by with wifi that doesn't require a password maybe?
    06-10-11 08:41 PM
    So for the first time setup I can connect to my laptop and get through it so I can dive into the PB?

I don't understand why I need WiFi just to explore the PB.
    06-10-11 08:56 PM
    My wonderful wife bought me the PB for my birthday, but because we are at a beach resort, I am unable to do the initial setup--WiFi here needs a password to be entered into a webpage. Do I just need to get it home, where I have a wireless router, and all will be OK?

Bad thing is, I have the PB but can't play with it!!! ARRRGH!
    All you need to do is find a wifi connection there with a wps button and ask someone if you can connect to do the update. If I were sitting next to you and you saw my pocket router on the table, if you asked me I would say yes. The playbook is a nice present for you, but the gift you you could give your wife in return, would be to put the playbook back in the box and take your wife by the hand and enjoy the rest of your holiday in style. There will be plenty of time to get to use the playbook when you get home, but your holiday will be ending shortly. Cheers.
    UF7Gator likes this.
    06-10-11 09:08 PM
    Agree... which is why we aren't out hunting a Panera or Starbucks!!!

Thanks guys!
    06-10-11 09:11 PM
    You can use but you won't have the latest OS. Unlike Apple, RIM will send you updates over WIFI.
    06-10-11 09:11 PM
    You can use but you won't have the latest OS. Unlike Apple, RIM will send you updates over WIFI.
    Makes no sense.

RIM even forces you to download the newest OS for initial setup - otherwise the PB doesn't even boot up.

And Apple just implemented OTA updates - but they don't force you.
    06-10-11 09:39 PM
    Um, no. Without wifi access you can't get past the initial startup screen when it's first bought.
    Crazy, I know, but the PB's not exactly brimming with great ideas.
    06-10-11 10:17 PM
    I finally know why people are willing pay 20% more for Apple products. I researched for many weeks which tablet to get and decided on the iPad2. I had to go to an Apple store because no one else had one. After I bought it the guy offered to unbox it, activate it for me and get my email setup. One hour of free one on one help is included. Say what you want about Apple but they know how to treat their customers. For some the one on one help is worth paying the "Apple tax".
    06-10-11 10:58 PM
    RIM made a huge mistake by not naming the tablet iplaybook, put an i in front of crap & it would sell like hotcakes. icrap
    06-10-11 11:19 PM
    All you need to do is find a wifi connection there with a wps button and ask someone if you can connect to do the update. If I were sitting next to you and you saw my pocket router on the table, if you asked me I would say yes. The playbook is a nice present for you, but the gift you you could give your wife in return, would be to put the playbook back in the box and take your wife by the hand and enjoy the rest of your holiday in style. There will be plenty of time to get to use the playbook when you get home, but your holiday will be ending shortly. Cheers.
    Playbook>Vacation with Wife.

Just kidding, do what this guy said.
    06-10-11 11:24 PM
    I finally know why people are willing pay 20% more for Apple products. I researched for many weeks which tablet to get and decided on the iPad2. I had to go to an Apple store because no one else had one. After I bought it the guy offered to unbox it, activate it for me and get my email setup. One hour of free one on one help is included. Say what you want about Apple but they know how to treat their customers. For some the one on one help is worth paying the "Apple tax".
    You might like it, but everyone is different. For me part of buying a new gadget is exploring it, setting it up and UNBOXING it myself.
    I would never let an iIdiot near my new gadget. Letting someone else unboxing it and setting it up for me would spoil the whole experience for me.
    06-11-11 01:11 AM
    You might like it, but everyone is different. For me part of buying a new gadget is exploring it, setting it up and UNBOXING it myself.
    I would never let an iIdiot near my new gadget. Letting someone else unboxing it and setting it up for me would spoil the whole experience for me.
    Oh I didn't let the kid near it..lol I just dropped $500+ on the thing I want to savor the unboxing..lmao. The store was packed with people from all age groups...it was a weird experience...like I was in enemy territory. I started typing on my BB and I got a dirty look from one of the kids..lol
    06-11-11 01:16 AM
    lol. I had the same thing happen to me last year when I bough an ipad when I was on vacation in Santa Cruz. I searched everywhere for a computer I could d/l itunes on really quick...
    06-11-11 01:19 AM
    It's not compulsory. I know a lot of older users, especially first timers like the service. Apple hold free classes in the use of most of their products too. Say what you will, there's not many companies that service their customers as well as Apple.....anywhere.
    06-11-11 01:48 AM
    Go to Starbucks and do it there. That's where I activated mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    UF7Gator likes this.
    06-11-11 08:44 AM
    What are you, 4 years old? A 5 year old can boot up and have playbook running without any help.
    06-11-11 09:35 AM
    I was in Staples today to pick up some stuff for work. Naturally go to their Playbook display and notice that they are on the old OS, so I upgrade it. While it is upgrading, I notice a Staples ad that they will set up your Playbook for a $39 fee. You've got to be kidding me! Talk about improving your bottom line! At least BestBuy doesn't charge to set it up. But I am with you...unboxing and setting up a device is a part of the fun, plus if it gets screwed up, I can only blame myself.
    06-11-11 09:40 AM
    It's not just the initial purchase. If you live near an apple store and have any problem you'll get free support, just walk in or make an appointment. Sure, it adds to the cost but where will you go if your playbook messes up? RIM support is junk at best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    06-11-11 09:46 AM
    What are you, 4 years old? A 5 year old can boot up and have playbook running without any help.
    exactly.

and hence why it is for younger people.

i always say...apple products are 80% marketing and heavy propaganda by US media...20% is actual product.
    06-11-11 10:42 AM
    I was in Staples today to pick up some stuff for work. Naturally go to their Playbook display and notice that they are on the old OS, so I upgrade it. While it is upgrading, I notice a Staples ad that they will set up your Playbook for a $39 fee. You've got to be kidding me! Talk about improving your bottom line! At least BestBuy doesn't charge to set it up. But I am with you...unboxing and setting up a device is a part of the fun, plus if it gets screwed up, I can only blame myself.
    Don't know about Kentucky my friend, but I got my 32GB at Best Buy in London, Ontario last week and they did have a sign with a charge for setting it up. I laughed to myself - no way - the unboxing, setting up, getting to know it and even putting up with the bugs and growing with the thing as they slowly improve it is all part of the fun for me. At the moment my AppWorld is broken and my browser sometimes gets stuck plus I've had to do a reset due to one total freeze this past week - but still loving it!
    Nels likes this.
    06-11-11 11:06 AM
    exactly.

and hence why it is for younger people.

i always say...apple products are 80% marketing and heavy propaganda by US media...20% is actual product.
    That 20% works better than 90% of the Playbook Im typing on right now.

Interesting that you would use the word "propaganda", given how free and open your part of the world is...
    06-11-11 11:24 AM
    Playbook>Vacation with Wife.

Just kidding, do what this guy said.
    LOL, I'm itching to get it up and running, but this resort we're staying at is sweet. Already had an hour at the beach, and am now chilling in the room waiting for the wife to finish baking in the sun (I'm pasty and burn too easy!)

She offered to take a spin around town to find a Panera or Starbucks, so two things are evident: 1) I should get my PB up and running (hopefully) this afternoon sometime, and 2) the wife is a pretty cool chick to make the suggestion in the first place!

Playbook>vacation with wife... Still chuckling!
    06-11-11 12:09 PM
    I have read a lot on crackberry's board for PB, and was a bit scared about getting mine... I owned an iPhone and it was a great piece of technology, but in the end, I am a Blackberry person. Worked it out with AT&T to upgrade to the Torch and the wife got an iPhone 4G. I love the keyboard on the Torch, and the feel of the Blackberry has always been appealing to me. I owned a BB phone on Sprint before, and had the iPhone in between that and the Torch.

I am a middle school teacher, so I hope to use my PB in the classroom in tandem with my classroom projector. I also like the size of the PB, it's easier to tote around. Wife also bought the Otterbox case for it, and I like the sturdy feel and protection it offers.

Crazy thing is, I'm bragging on the PB and haven't been able to get it up and running yet! I know many will criticize and rag on it, saying something along the lines of "wait until you can't do this and that on it"...
    06-11-11 12:16 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD